VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I am trying to read a DVD+RW recorded on my Phillips DVDR 72 stend alone recorder in my PC.
    My goal is to do some video editing of the DVD+RW on my PC, before I burn it to a DVD+R, using external TDK DVD drive.
    It says “this media is unreadable”…..
    Do I need any special software then the regular Win XP ..
    I tried with DVDX copy, TDK DVD builder – and no luck………The DVD is been ‘made compatible’ on the recorder before I inserted into the PC,but still can’t read it..…
    Any comments>?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Como-o-on, guys, nobody knows how?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Should have bought a Panasonic and used DVD-RAM if your intent was computer re-authoring.

Too many stand alone DVD recorders that use DVD+RW have this issue that you are experiencing.

Sometimes you just have to put the DVD in the tray and open and close and open and close and open and close until the computer can read it. Sometimes trying a difference model/make of DVD-ROM/BURNER is needed.

- John "FulciLives" Coleman
    "The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote  
  4. Its unreadable in that external TDK dvd writer of yours? I have no idea, just thought that maybe you expect it to be readable in your old dvd-rom drive, many older drives cant read +r/w. Thats all i got, sorry
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks, but I was hoping to find a software {like the software (firmware if you want), loaded to the DVDR that allows to read and write DVD+RW}.

I remember a guy on this forum, saying that he records on DVD+RW using his DVDR and then puts the DVD+RW into the PC and then burns copies into cheap DVD-R without loosing quality…unfortunately I can’t find this post..

Please if anybody has done that, reply…
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    thor300 MAn,

I think you made my day… my Laptop is about 2 years old. This might be the problem.. I’ll try to read it in my external TDK DVD -+ writer. I’ll try tonight after work!

============================
    Two brains always work better!
    ============================

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by FulciLives
    Should have bought a Panasonic and used DVD-RAM if your intent was computer re-authoring.

I have a Philips DVDR75 & record to +RW all the time then edit on my PC. You do NOT need to have DVD-RAM to do this. It may be easier (assuming you have a DVD drive in your PC that will read a RAM disc) but not essential.

I use Loobsters guide ( http://www.dvdguideuk.dsl.pipex.com/dvdguide/editing1/editing1.htm ) but you need Ulead Videofactory 2 for this.

It can be done quite easily using other software. There's loads of info around here if you search hard enough.

Biggest problem I've had is with the AC-3 audio format the Philips records in not being compatible with some authoring software (that's why you need Ulead Videofactory 2) but agian, there are ways to circumvent this problem.

It may, as has already been suggested, be an issue with your PC hardware, ie the external drive, being unable to read +RW formats.

Have you an internal DVD-ROM in your PC that you can use for the ripping? If so, use this & use the TDK only for burning.
    Bad advice is pricey...good advice is priceless
    I can't warrant what camp this falls into, but, for what it's worth, it's what I believe!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by van_d_man
    Hi,

I am trying to read a DVD+RW recorded on my Phillips DVDR 72 stend alone recorder in my PC.
    My goal is to do some video editing of the DVD+RW on my PC, before I burn it to a DVD+R, using external TDK DVD drive.
    It says ?this media is unreadable??..
    Do I need any special software then the regular Win XP ..
    I tried with DVDX copy, TDK DVD builder ? and no luck???The DVD is been ?made compatible? on the recorder before I inserted into the PC,but still can?t read it..?
    Any comments>?
    Are you saying that you can't even see the contents of the DVD with Windows Explorer? If that's the case then, as others have said, the issue is likely to be that your drive can't read from a DVD+RW. (I always rip from my Toshiba SDM1612, although it needed a firmware update to read DVD+RW and remove a speed limitation.)

If you CAN see the contents of the DVD that you recorded on the Philips, then it sounds like it's something to do with the program you're using to extract the content.

I have a DVDR70, and one reliable way I've found to do the whole process is this:

0. Record what I want on the DVDR70 - don't usually go below M2 mode for quality. I never have to 'make the DVD compatible' since my firmware update on the Toshiba DVD-ROM.

1. I use TmpegEncDVDAuthor to rip to the hard-drive by using the ADD DVD VIDEO option at the source setup stage. I then end up with a single mpg file.

2. If I need to cut out adverts etc, I can precisely trim with Womble MpegVCR and re-save as a new Mpeg program stream. (I like MpegVCR because it doesn't try to re-code, does frame exact editing, and handles the AC3 audio without a complaint).

3. I author in TmpegEnc DVDAuthor using the mpg file from stages 1 or 2 above. Main reasons are that it handles the AC3 audio and doesn't try to re-encode anything. Menus are a bit limited, although you can edit your own templates and get acceptable results.

I'm not an expert and I'm not saying it's the best way or anything like that, but it works OK for me and is pretty quick and simple. Average of 10 minutes to rip a 2 hour movie, 10 minutes to trim start and end and remove adverts. 15 minutes to author to DVD files in TDA and then 15 minutes to burn to a DVDR.

Hope this might be of some help to you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    van_d_man,

I'm doing exactly what you're trying to do with my laptop (it may well have been one of my posts you were reading !) although the DVD-ROM in my laptop can't read the recordings from my DVDR75.
    I've only had the laptop about 2 months.
    Instead, I use my LG4040B DVD burner (in a USB2 enclosure) to transfer the recordings to the hard drive using DVD decrypter then burn to DVD-R.
    This gives one to one copies with no loss of quality at all.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by van_d_man
    Thanks, but I was hoping to find a software {like the software (firmware if you want), loaded to the DVDR that allows to read and write DVD+RW}.

I remember a guy on this forum, saying that he records on DVD+RW using his DVDR and then puts the DVD+RW into the PC and then burns copies into cheap DVD-R without loosing quality…unfortunately I can’t find this post..

Please if anybody has done that, reply…
    I do that *all* the time. I use a Daytek DVRP30 (which is really a Liteon 5001) and record onto +RWs only. Never used a +R yet. I've used Memorex 4x (ID Ricoh), Mitsumi 2.4x (ID Infodisc), and Optodisc 2.4x (ID unknown), and then take the discs and read them on my PC (a NEC1300a DVD +/- burner) no problem. I can either direct copy, use DVD Decryptor or DVD Shrink.

Thats all I can tell you.

Tom
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Same here....do it ALL of the time.
    I have a Philips DVDR985 - record to an RW - place the RW in my LG4040B burner and use DVDDecrypter , DVDShrink , Ulead Movie Factory 2 or TMPGEnc DVD Author to do anything I want.
    I've also never noticed any difference between the AC3 audio on my Philips RW discs and factory pressed DVD's.
    Quote Quote  
  12. I've never used a DVD+RW in a standalone recorder before. Did you finalize the disc before taking it out of the machine? Yes I know it's an +RW but these disc's need to be formatted to DVD specs before they can be read in a PC. At least thats my understanding. I had the same problem on a Panasonic DVD-R standalone. Just an Idea.
    Look, let me explain something. I'm not Mr. Lebowski; you're Mr. Lebowski. I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. That, or Duder. His Dudeness. Or El Duderino, if, you know, you're not into the whole brevity thing--
    Quote Quote  
  13. Originally Posted by CaseyComb
    I've never used a DVD+RW in a standalone recorder before. Did you finalize the disc before taking it out of the machine? Yes I know it's an +RW but these disc's need to be formatted to DVD specs before they can be read in a PC. At least thats my understanding. I had the same problem on a Panasonic DVD-R standalone. Just an Idea.
    I haven't had a need to 'finalize' +RWs yet, and the discs I've made play on a citizen JDVD3842, an Initial portable, some Daewoo that my girlfriend has and my laptop (and my PC). I'm sorry that I can't explain it any better, all I know is that it 'works'. Perhaps I'll run into troubles when I use +Rs. But at the moment, +RWs are actually cheaper for me to buy than +Rs, so...

Although I suppose there could actually be a reason for me to use +Rs at some point (and I can't think of it right now), the use of +RWs duplicates my expectations that I've come to live with from using VCRs.

Tom
    Quote Quote  
  14. You can't finalise a +RW (at least not on my Philips DVDR75) & they work fine in both my other Philips DVD Player, an Afreey & my PC.

I think I've read somewhere that +RW are pre-formatted to be compatible anyway, so unless you've edited on the standalone, it should be in the correct format to meet the specification.

If you edit on the machine then you need to "make edits compatible" (Philips speek) to play them on another machine, but that's ONLY if you've edited the recording on the recorder.

I would suggest that van_d_man's problem lies with his PC equipment, namely the external DVD Burner.
    Bad advice is pricey...good advice is priceless
    I can't warrant what camp this falls into, but, for what it's worth, it's what I believe!
    Quote Quote  
  15. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Guys, my problem was my 2 y old Toshiba satellite laptop built-in DVD reader, it cannot read DVD+RW ( they didn’t make DVD+R or DVD+RW by this time….)
    When I tried to read the DVD+RW via external USB DVDR+_ - I was successful.
    Thanks, thor300!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by van_d_man
    Guys, my problem was my 2 y old Toshiba satellite laptop built-in DVD reader, it cannot read DVD+RW ( they didn’t make DVD+R or DVD+RW by this time….)
    When I tried to read the DVD+RW via external USB DVDR+_ - I was successful.
    Thanks, thor300!
    Man I tell ya ... I get passed over for thanks all the time. Really pisses me off.

I guess you forgot that my post (the first post to answer your question) suggested using a different model/make of DVD-ROM/BURNER.

See how simple this all really was?

I still say DVD-RAM is THE way to do PC re-authoring but hey whatever.

"The eyes are the first thing that you have to destroy ... because they have seen too many bad things" - Lucio Fulci
    EXPLORE THE FILMS OF LUCIO FULCI - THE MAESTRO OF GORE
    Quote Quote