VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    I encoded several Huffyuv files with a computer dedicated to capture and encoding. But none of the files are seen by other computers as valid Huffyuv files.

Only the computer that originally encoded the videos (with VirtualDub) can still see the file.

And the problem did not exist a month ago, when it was last used to encode files.

Has anyone else ever seen this behavior?
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Lordsmurf,
    the only time I saw something similar with Huffy was one occasion where I installed
    and created files with the Huffy multi-core mod; older files made with the regular Huffy would not open. (or vice-versa)
    (different 4cc ? )
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Already checked that.

- The FourCC is correct.
    - And it's not using MT.

I'm actually re-encoding one as MT right now, to see if that would work instead of regular Huffyuv.

I honestly think the system is corrupted. But I posted here just in case I was somehow overlooking something.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi LordSmurf,

It could be a number of things, and I believe it could be the way the file was muxed, and an interleaving issue.

Sometimes, and I don't know why, even a passthrough with VirtualDub's "Direct stream copy" produces weird muxes that either throws off DirectShow, or will create errors with encoders, such as with CCE after.

Even filtering with Neat Video gives warnings and creates error files. So does a smart rendered editing with VideoStudio - the AVI files have issues, or don't play correctly.

But I have been able to correct every one of them with a proper (re-)muxing and interleaving (1 frame) with AVI-Mux GUI. A pain to do, but at least it's quick and has no loss. (Then again, properly re-encoding HuffYUV shouldn't be lossy either as you undoubtedly know how to do. )

Hopefully it helps, and hopefully your issue isn't serious.
    I hate VHS. I always did.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I had that problem as well. I've used the same version of huffyuv forever (the CCE Patch version linked at digitalfaq's capture guide), never changed it on any of my PCs. And the same thing with attachments from this forum that required me to go through acrobatics with huffyuv found in ffdshow and various file access commands in Avisynth (FFMS2 instead of AviSource, etc.). What I have done with older captures is to recompress huff's with Lagarith. Never a problem there. I've also captured with Lagarith, but on my ancient PC that has the old ATI AIW 7500, Lagarith was too slow (dropped frames).

Some years back I also found a problem with ATI's capture drivers. Installing MMC replaced some fourccc codes in the registry with ATI's own DLL's. What a headache. It's been so long since I cleaned those entries that I have no record of how it was done with fixes posted on doom9 many years back. Why those entries affected huffyuv is a complete mystery to me, but avoiding MMC solved the problem.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 19th Mar 2014 at 10:40.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Mine may have been the install of ATI CMC and the ATI 600 card.
    Or a corrupt hard drive.
    Or both.

Not what I planned to do tonight, and it'll take at least a day or two to screw with.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    Not what I planned to do tonight, and it'll take at least a day or two to screw with.
    If there's a small file somewhere, you can post one here, and we too can screw with it along with you.

I would say cut a piece if the file size is too big, but then that new file could be different from your problem. (Or maybe you can't do that now?)

Whatever helps.

And I'm also concerned since I too use the ATI 600 USB with HuffYUV, and have installed CMC (but don't use CMC).
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 7th Jan 2014 at 22:54. Reason: Grammar...
    Quote Quote  
  8. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I can't comment on the ATI 600. I've used only the 9600XT and 7500 AIW's. But the same problems occurred with huffyuv clips posted in the forum regardless of the capture device used, and occurrences were inconsistent. Sometimes it worked OK, sometimes not. Beats me. It seems Lagarith doesn't have the same compatibility problems.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Two of the previously okay Huffyuv files cannot be read now either.
    It's most likely a case of a corrupt drive.

I think that computer had two of them. Both are in a Linux system now for recovery.

Both are Western Digital drives that died.

Note: Not one of mine. I only use Seagate and Fantom! (Fantom being a rebadge of the best drives, like Lacie. Usually Seagate.)

A day of cloning, and I'll be back at it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Still will be capturing in HuffYUV (if I need any VHS work done today) since it runs so well in my workflow.

But after this thread, I just may archive the final result, along with a project for all previous archives, to Lagarith...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    That's the way I've been doing it: huffyuv->Lagarith. Yes, a pain in the neck. Well, not really. Not as much of a pain as Lagarith being a bit too slow for many captures, and huffyuv having so many incarnations that it gets schizo with its own files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    to be certain of the problems, i would do a quick few second captures of something, using your current huffy codec, put that on a usb stick so you can swap it out to other computers for testing.

then, attempt to play that on your main capture computer, and then on the other computer(s) that you say is not playing them. if that huffy.capture.avi file does not play on those computers, then you know that it has something to do with a codec installation, or else it could be that those drives got a bad copy of the huffy.capture.project.avi files.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Huffyuv has greater cross-platform support (Mac, Linux).
    And is more likely to be around (longevity! archival!), given that facts.

That's the reason I choose to avoid Lagarith.

I'm worried about opening files in Windows 25 on a Hexium 2250 Ocho-Core 75 Thz with 96gb of RAM.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    While I do make a Lagarith copy, I save the huff's.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's what I was thinking, to keep the HuffYUV files, yet have them as Lagarith, or another lossless format, for the backup drive.

I do agree with LordSmurf in that HuffYUV is better established than Lagarith - better with capture apps, editors, decoders (ex:VLC), etc., which is my reason to avoid (and hate) working with Lagarith.

But, when we're talking lossless formats, these benefits IMO aren't as important, especially past the workflow level, such as with a finished archive file.

Conversion between formats is lossless when needed, other lossless files can be (much) smaller, and lossless files aren't meant to be your playback files anyway, so an alternative format can't hurt here for a backup when HuffYUV clearly has its issues.

(Also looking into FFV1, not just Lagarith.)

Besides, you can always get back the exact same HuffYUV file, via backup or conversion from any lossless format, if you need it for Windows 25.
    Quote Quote