VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I have an older Bunker Hill Security DVR that will let me save video, but in order to do that it requires divx. I have tried to load divx from the divx website, and it won't work at all.

I'm running windows 7 pro 64 bit, on an AMD Athlon X2 dual core 2.10GHZ with 4 gigs ram Acer Laptop.

I was very disapointed when I tried to save a video clip, only to see it say I don't have divx installed, and going through he!! trying to figure out how to get the "free" divx this DVR was made to use.

So is there some way to get even an older version of divx on here so my DVR will work again.

I have no need for the new super duper versions they have now, but I will be happy with the free version that this box was meant to use.

Any Help?

Mike
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by pcrider View Post
    I have no need for the new super duper versions they have now, but

I will be happy with the free version that this box was meant to use.
    Can you name it
    Quote Quote  
  3. Under 64 bit windows: 32 bit programs require 32 bit codecs. 64 bit programs require 64 bit codecs. Neither environments can see the others codecs.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    Originally Posted by pcrider View Post
    I have no need for the new super duper versions they have now, but

I will be happy with the free version that this box was meant to use.
    Can you name it

I can tell you the DVR has a 03/30/2009 firmware date on it, so I assume it would be using DivX Codecs that had already been in use prior to that date. I do not know what version number, or date that would be though, sorry.

I was able to save video on my old xp machine, that had the free divx on it. Unfortunately that machine went the way of the dodo bird, and aluminum cans.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Under 64 bit windows: 32 bit programs require 32 bit codecs. 64 bit programs require 64 bit codecs. Neither environments can see the others codecs.
    Thanks, I'll see if I can get it to load 32 bit codecs, IF I can find some?
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I don't understand at all what you are doing and the problem may be that you don't either or at least not well enough to describe it better. It shouldn't matter at all for saving a file whether your Divx install is right/wrong/missing, etc. You should get errors when PLAYING if there are problems with Divx. Saving shouldn't make any difference. Since you say, and maybe you are right, that you can't save without having Divx installed, I don't know that any of us can help because this is nonsensical to my thinking and I have no idea at all what is really happening that cares about Divx enough to not save a file because of your problem.

I don't know if you can find old 32 bit Divx versions or not. To do so you'll have to look for one of those websites that archives old software. And I've got a feeling that this error message you see is typical programmer bs where it doesn't really tell you the true problem and even if you find and install an old 32 bit version of Divx you will still have the problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    "2009" should be versions 6 and 7 of DivX.

Code:
    http://www.oldversion.com/windows/divx/
    Originally Posted by jman98
    this error message you see is typical programmer bs where it doesn't really tell you the true problem and even if you find and install an old 32 bit version of Divx you will still have the problem.
    That's VERY possible indeed.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    I don't understand at all what you are doing and the problem may be that you don't either or at least not well enough to describe it better. It shouldn't matter at all for saving a file whether your Divx install is right/wrong/missing, etc. You should get errors when PLAYING if there are problems with Divx. Saving shouldn't make any difference. Since you say, and maybe you are right, that you can't save without having Divx installed, I don't know that any of us can help because this is nonsensical to my thinking and I have no idea at all what is really happening that cares about Divx enough to not save a file because of your problem.

I don't know if you can find old 32 bit Divx versions or not. To do so you'll have to look for one of those websites that archives old software. And I've got a feeling that this error message you see is typical programmer bs where it doesn't really tell you the true problem and even if you find and install an old 32 bit version of Divx you will still have the problem.
    It does matter, in that the DVR doesn't just dump raw data onto the computer, it compresses it using the divx codec into an avi format. The I'm not sure the computer would know what to do with that raw data anyway.

See my last post.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by El Heggunte View Post
    "2009" should be versions 6 and 7 of DivX.

Code:
    http://www.oldversion.com/windows/divx/
    Originally Posted by jman98
    this error message you see is typical programmer bs where it doesn't really tell you the true problem and even if you find and install an old 32 bit version of Divx you will still have the problem.
    That's VERY possible indeed.
    Just by chance I was going to oldversion.com as you were typing that out. I got it, installed it, and it works (so far) without complaining that it's out of date and insisting on installing the new version. As long as it keeps on working like it is now I'm happy!! happy!!! happy!!!!

Thanks all of you guys for helping!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It would be helpful to others down the road to know just what model that DVR is, so that a detailed reading & understanding of its manual could shed light on any further problems encountered.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Cornucopia View Post
    It would be helpful to others down the road to know just what model that DVR is, so that a detailed reading & understanding of its manual could shed light on any further problems encountered.

Scott
    I can upload the Bunker Hill manual that should give you everything you want to know about it.

I think it's attached to this reply, I don't see it yet, but it said it was done.

I should note, after I got to looking at the divx stuff, I found a divx converter that was set to expire in 15 days, so I uninstalled the converter.
    I also went through all the divx folders and deleted everything that refered to updating, or update checking, or to the divx site. I'm sure it will burp at some point because of that, but the codec is still working to save files, and thats all I care about. This only leaves the divx player, and the codecs on here.

Thanks again, and wish me luck
    Mike
    Image Attached Thumbnails BunkerHill Security Cams.pdf  

Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!