VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hello there!

I want to encode excerpts from some DVDs for YouTube. My DVD collection is stored at my hard drive, it consists of full DVD rips (VIDEO_TS folders).

1. My goal is to achieve lossless quality while I am streaming the videos on YouTube, or at least as closer as it can get to the source. Which is the way and the tools to achieve that?

2. Is there any way to get rid of the black borders when it's uploaded?

Thank you in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Originally Posted by kivi View Post

1. My goal is to achieve lossless quality while I am streaming the videos on YouTube...

1. Cut out from the VOB what you like and upload that. Of course, YouTube will reencode it anyway and seriously degrade it in the process. So, you can upload lossless but what you see on YouTube is anything but.
    2. You have to reencode if you want to filter the video in any way, including cropping the black bars and/or resizing. I don't believe YouTube can do that kind of filtering for you.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I really don't think that this is the way.

Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by kivi View Post

1. My goal is to achieve lossless quality while I am streaming the videos on YouTube...

1. Cut out from the VOB what you like and upload that. Of course, YouTube will reencode it anyway and seriously degrade it in the process. So, you can upload lossless but what you see on YouTube is anything but.
    2. You have to reencode if you want to filter the video in any way, including cropping the black bars and/or resizing. I don't believe YouTube can do that kind of filtering for you.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search PM
    Suit yourself. Let us know how it works out.
    - My sister Ann's brother
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    VOB is not even recommended from YouTube. That's what I am talking about.

Originally Posted by LMotlow View Post
    Suit yourself. Let us know how it works out.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Of course VOB isn't recommended. Perhaps you didn't understand Manono's suggestion -- or perhaps you don't know that VOB is a container for MPEG2. You do realize that your DVDs are interlaced and/or telecined (they'd better be, if they were made to DVD spec), which won't fly for 'net streaming. So you'd have to make a few changes with your VOBs. Utube takes mpeg (or they used to), but you'll see it mashed and thoroughly botched into really ugly mp4 or something for streaming -- unless you do your own conversion and re-encode more carefully while staying within UTube's limits.

You might want to pay someone for the bandwidth required to stream lossless, decompressed video. For SD that comes to ~125GB per hour of program, give or take a few GB's. But I'm certain that ain't what you had in mind. Even if it's lossy encoded MPEG, UTube will change it to suit themselves anyway, as manono says. There's no "lossless" way of getting there, but your best bet is to make a cut from a VOB, clean it up as well as you can, and re-encode to progressive mp4/h264 for the web, per UTube's requirements.

Is there any way to get rid of the black borders when it's uploaded?
    LOL!! That again? Well, no matter. To repeat a method posted many many many times in many many many threads:

You can crop off the black edges, but if you resize the video to fill the frame you will alter the original proportions (aspect ratio) of the image. If you notice that your original image is SD (I mean, like, 4:3 when it is played) it probably has 16 pixels of side borders. So you crop off the side borders and get an MPEG frame of 704x480. It so happens that 704x480 is allowed for 4:3 DVD.

What you use to crop depends on what software you're using to deinterlace or de-telecine your DVD and re-encode into a container and codec that UTube or your streaming apparatus likes. In Avisynth you'd say something like:
    Code:
    Crop(8,0,-8,0)
    or similar numbers or different software to get 704x480. If you stretch the image to get it back to 720x480, then your image will be ~14 pixels fatter than normal. I've seen 640x480 on some sites, so you can always crop and resize (and re-encode) to progressive 640x480 for 4:3 streaming at 1:1 pixel ratios.

If you mean to ask if the borders can be removed after it's uploaded? Sometimes the site will crop, maybe not. Do it yourself to be sure.
    Last edited by LMotlow; 7th Jan 2015 at 01:43.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by kivi View Post
    I've done it before; have you?

If you're talking about uploading in one of their recommended formats then of course it'll have to be reencoded and there goes your lossless upload (because something truly lossless will be of enormous size). And YouTube will still reencode it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I didn't think YouTube allowed excerpts from copywrited DVDs.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Is there any guide about how to encode it etc? MPEGStreamclip will do the job I suppose

Of course VOB isn't recommended. Perhaps you didn't understand Manono's suggestion -- or perhaps you don't know that VOB is a container for MPEG2. You do realize that your DVDs are interlaced and/or telecined (they'd better be, if they were made to DVD spec), which won't fly for 'net streaming. So you'd have to make a few changes with your VOBs. Utube takes mpeg (or they used to), but you'll see it mashed and thoroughly botched into really ugly mp4 or something for streaming -- unless you do your own conversion and re-encode more carefully while staying within UTube's limits.

You might want to pay someone for the bandwidth required to stream lossless, decompressed video. For SD that comes to ~125GB per hour of program, give or take a few GB's. But I'm certain that ain't what you had in mind. Even if it's lossy encoded MPEG, UTube will change it to suit themselves anyway, as manono says. There's no "lossless" way of getting there, but your best bet is to make a cut from a VOB, clean it up as well as you can, and re-encode to progressive mp4/h264 for the web, per UTube's requirements.

Is there any way to get rid of the black borders when it's uploaded?
    LOL!! That again? Well, no matter. To repeat a method posted many many many times in many many many threads:

You can crop off the black edges, but if you resize the video to fill the frame you will alter the original proportions (aspect ratio) of the image. If you notice that your original image is SD (I mean, like, 4:3 when it is played) it probably has 16 pixels of side borders. So you crop off the side borders and get an MPEG frame of 704x480. It so happens that 704x480 is allowed for 4:3 DVD.

What you use to crop depends on what software you're using to deinterlace or de-telecine your DVD and re-encode into a container and codec that UTube or your streaming apparatus likes. In Avisynth you'd say something like:
    Code:
    Crop(8,0,-8,0)
    or similar numbers or different software to get 704x480. If you stretch the image to get it back to 720x480, then your image will be ~14 pixels fatter than normal. I've seen 640x480 on some sites, so you can always crop and resize (and re-encode) to progressive 640x480 for 4:3 streaming at 1:1 pixel ratios.

If you mean to ask if the borders can be removed after it's uploaded? Sometimes the site will crop, maybe not. Do it yourself to be sure.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search PM
    I think you're asking for a complete course in video decoding/encoding. I see you're using an iMac, which at the get-go involves many limitations when it comes to video work. MAC users would be able to help (shouldn't this thread be in the Mac forum?). Windows users can suggest a ton of free software for the job, but they won't work on a Mac.

You might be interested in what the term "rip" means: https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?R#Rip
    What you have on your computer is a 1-to-1 straight copy of your DVD's VIDEO_TS folder, not really a rip. But you can work with VOB's just as well.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Actually, now I am on Windows. I can find the program, I just need the detailed steps to do it concerning the settings etc.

I think you're asking for a complete course in video decoding/encoding. I see you're using an iMac, which at the get-go involves many limitations when it comes to video work. MAC users would be able to help (shouldn't this thread be in the Mac forum?). Windows users can suggest a ton of free software for the job, but they won't work on a Mac.

You might be interested in what the term "rip" means: https://www.videohelp.com/glossary?R#Rip
    What you have on your computer is a 1-to-1 straight copy of your DVD's VIDEO_TS folder, not really a rip. But you can work with VOB's just as well.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search PM
    The forum Tools section has a long list of DVD->mp4 converters, most of them free. https://www.videohelp.com/tools/sections/dvd-to-mp4-avc-h264. Handbrake and MeGUI seem to be favorites. I don't use them, but members more familiar with their interface can help. HandBrake and MeGUI have user guides listed if you look into the detail pages for those apps. Many use Avisynth and other encoders for that kind of conversion, which have learning curves you likely don't want to get involved with.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you! I will check them and come back with more questions
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!