VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi everybody,

I seem to have some serious problem with iMovie '08. Whenever I try to import .MOV files it simply doesn't see them - while Quick Time has no problem reading them - and keeps them in grey. The files come from a Nikon Coolpix L10 digital camera.
    I searched in the internet for a solution and found a nice free software called MPEG Streamclip. It works well with very short movie but when I select a movie, for example, about 80 megs (about 2 mins 20 secs duration) it gives me an error when I try to convert it to any format: "Error: can't prepare the movie".
    Would anyone know what could cause the problem? Or if anybody would have any suggestion on how to get iMovie to read my files, I would really appreciate it.
    I'm already pissed off big time with Apple for their poxy iMovie - I simply cannot believe that they didn't make it to read different formats, when other Apple applications do it effortlessly. I also wonder if Nikon makes really bad .MOV files from its camera. Perhaps that's the reason (hope not!).
    Thanks,

Mauro
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Can you upload a clip from the Nikon somewhere, so others (I) can have a look at it?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Google is your friend:
    Problemwith Nikon CoolPix and iMovie

Cannot import mov files from Cannon Coolpix into iMovie 08

The ".mov" files are actually Mpeg-2 files or Divx files,
    According to the two posts listed above.
    They will need to be converted to DV Stream before import into iMovie.

If you can play these files in Quicktime/ Quicktime Pro,
    then perform a cmd-i
    on the file and and tell us what the movie property window says....
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I think I finally solved the problem. I downloaded a software called iSquint and it seems to stomach my Nikon .mov files. It converts them and iMovie reads them fine. Big relieve...
    Thank you for the prompt support anyway!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Maurem View Post
    Hi everybody,

I seem to have some serious problem with iMovie '08. Whenever I try to import .MOV files it simply doesn't see them
    • IS IT A CRIMINAL CON ACT?
    • IS IT 100% INCOMPETENCE?

Frankly, I don't care!
    30 years ago, when all this cyber crap wasn't around, company owners would have been sent behind bars. These days, they are begoded as "HEROS"

A company like APPLE who says "Drag media here to create a new project", ask people to pay a lot of money for this "CON STUNT", and then doesn't even support there own format (.mov) should be blown off this planet, poisoned, trenched in gasoline and burnt to ashes or else, just to get rid of this scam bags!

Short and only message to this corporate crooks!

STOP SUPPORTING ALL THIS BULLSHIT - STOP BUYING THEIR CON HARDSHIP AND SOFTSHIP...!
    Last edited by Ihatethisprofessionalcon; 15th Apr 2012 at 06:55.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Usually, iMovie did work with .mov files. However, iMovie only supports the MOV movie file whose video codec is DV, MPEG-2, MPEG-4, H.264, or AIC. If a .mov video contains an incompatible video codec, the file will either not import into iMovie or will exhibit playback issues after import. In this case, you may need to convert the video file to iMovie compatible video format.
    Quote Quote