VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Has anyone attempted to get an RMA from Maxtor's website? They want an 8 digit diagnostic code from using their powermax program to test the hd but that program returns results in 16 digits. It doesn't even matter if I input the first 8 digits.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I've done a RMA with MAXTOR and had no problems.
    Contact their tech support to explain the situation.
    I had a spanking refurbished 250 gb hard drive delivered to me in a week and half. Not bad for RMAing a 200gb hard drive that failed in 2 months time.

Here's the phone #'s if you're in the USA:
    1-800-2MAXTOR
    1-800-262-9867
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the phone #s. I guess I'm going to have to call them up. I wonder why they sent you a 250 gb unit instead of another 200 gb.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Probably cause they had a refurbished 250 and therefore didn't have to send him a new 200
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Maxtor's RMA system works very well. If you give them your credit card number, I have received the replacement drive in less than 3 days. If the drive you ship back to them is dead, they never bill you. And you get a box to send the old drive back in.

I messed up a reformat once so bad that the drive was unusable and that was covered, even though it was my fault. You get back whatever they have available that is most similar to what you presently have, usually a newer model and often a higher capacity.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I hope I get a 250 gb then but I am never that lucky. I couldn't even get an rma from their stupid website. It didn't used to be like this. Even their warranties nowadays are only one year old.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I haven't had to RMA a drive to Maxtor for a couple of years. I heard they had changed the RMA method. As far as the short warranty, check out Western Digital or others with a longer warranty. Maxtor is a good seller because it's cheap.

I notice most of the newer drives seem to run much hotter than the old ones. A fan in front of them helps considerably. I've used Maxtors, WD, Seagate, Hitachi, Fuji, and a few others and Maxtor's failure rate may be a little higher, but they are still a good value. I've probably got 15 of them presently running in various computers I've built in the last few years.
    Quote Quote