VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I am trying to download DVD's I legally own on to my hard drive, then on to a thumb drive so I can play them on my tablet, etc. Can anyone tell me how I can do this and what software I might need to buy to do it?:
    confused:
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What kinda of tablet is it and what is your OS?

On Win7, i run dvdfab and/or handbrake to to convert my movies to MP4 then i drop them on an SD Card and use the MX Player app (Samsung note 10.1) never tried to play them off a thumbdrive.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You don't "download" DVDs, you rip them. Then, use them as is (ISO, or VOB/IFO in VIDEO_TS), or convert them to a format that is usable on your tablet (as most tablets can NOT use them as-is). Most likely target: AVC video + AAC audio in an MP4 container. The specifics will greatly depend on which tablet(s) you are needing them for.

For ripping: DVD Decrypter, DVDFab, AnyDVD, etc.
    For converting: Handbrake, MeGUI, etc.

There is software you can buy to do this also, but it likely wouldn't be any better than what I just suggested (and might be worse).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hi ,

Just for my knowledge .

What happen if I use VLC , for watching and recording the DVD's video ?

Cheers .
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    "Recording"? Sounds like you would be doing a decode + re-encode (to what format?). If that isn't the right endpoint format, you'll have to re-encode again. And there's no telling whether you would experience some runtime dropouts during the process.

Plus, what you're talking about is a realtime process. Ripping + converting ought to be much faster, as well as higher quality.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi Cornucopia ,

Thanks for your reply .

Regards .
    Quote Quote  
  7. I have Windows 8. I am shopping for the tablet now - might be a Samsung Note 10.1. It wont be an IPAD - that's all I know for sure at this point.
    I just want a portable format that is playable on a tablet so I don't have to lug my big laptop around. I don't know of an advantage / disadvantage between an SD card and a thumb drive...

Obviously, I have no idea what I'm talking about - any advice would be appreciated....

Cheers
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hi mytguin ,

Before buying "Samsung Note 10.1" read tests about this product .
    After what I have read (in french) , I wouldn't buy it .

Cheers .
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Buy a better tablet such as the asus nexus 7 2013.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Thank you! The advice on tablets is greatly appreciated!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Recommend SD over flash drive. Some tablets have difficulty playing from flash drives. In addition, having something hanging an inch or so out of my tablet, ready to be snagged on something always makes me cringe.

An alternative you might consider if you have wireless access where you're planning to use your tablet is streaming your videos with something like Plex, TVersity or PlayOn. You'll still have to convert your DVDs to MKVs (quick and easy with MakeMKV), but you don't have to worry about carrying around a limited number of videos.

For Android, I have a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 (7") and LePan S (10.1") and love them both. I thought my LePan died last week (just needed a good charging) and ordered a Asus T100 with Win 8.1. Waiting on delivery, but for the money (~$350 after incentives), figured it would be a nice alternative to another Android tablet.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Hey Lingyi!

That is a very good point about the thumb drive sticking out the side! I just ordered some SD cards. And ... incidentally... I had JUST ordered the Asus T100 when I read your e mail!! I feel much better about the purchase knowing you chose the same one! I hope we both love it!
    Cheers.
    Quote Quote  
  13. You can get "micro" thumb drives like these:

http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Digital-64GB-DataTraveler-DTMCK/dp/B00C6GLF78/

They can be hard to remove. You can't really see it in that picture but there's a small loop for attaching a lanyard.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Lingyi makes a good point about USB drive vs SD card. The reason SD is better is that all those devices are powered by some form of Lithium battery which have a voltage rating of at most 3.7 V; on a full charge they will give around 4.2 V. SD cards work on 3.3 V and are tolerant of 5.0 V. USB ports have to output 5.0 ±0.2 V 500 mA, a DC-DC converter is needed to step-up the voltage. This will burn extra power off the battery (little pun there, batteries get warm when there's a large current draw) and eventually the USB power will get flaky (happens more or less quickly depending on the quality of the converter circuit).

On my tablet I can't get past ¾ of a movie watching off a flash drive on a full charge. Once, the screen went black and it wouldn't respond anymore, I had to hit the reset button to get it working again. Good thing it had one, otherwise I suspect I would have had to wait for the battery power to go out completely, not a good thing for the battery; it is recommended to not go below 20%.
    Last edited by nic2k4; 31st May 2014 at 22:06. Reason: Typo
    Quote Quote  
  15. I am having trouble converting with Handbrake.... image is pixilated, sound is choppy. Has anyone used WinX DVD ripper software? The free version doesn't convert the Disney X project DRM.... so you have to upgrade for $30..... is it worth it? I like that it seems super simple.

I'm really kind of a tech idiot and I need something idiot proof that will make the conversion decisions for me. (ie: handbrake has all kinds of video / audio/ picture ... choices.....?? and I have no clue what they mean : ( )
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    One of those "conversion decisions" that simple-leaning apps make for you is in their choice of what is acceptable quality.
    If you want to get better quality, choose an app that allows YOU to make those decisions.
    But then, you'll have to learn a little more Audio/Video "tech" to understand why things happen the way they do to influence the outcome to greater or lesser quality.
    Conversely, if you really couldn't be bothered to care what's going on (behind the scenes), why care about the outcome? Can't really have it both ways.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  17. Is there a video conversion for Dummies book or something? For now, I am just looking for something that will work without taking all day to figure it out... I would LOVE to learn what's going on behind the scenes but not sure where to even start. In the meantime, I need to find something I can use before I go to Alaska on Wednesday...
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by mytguin View Post
    Is there a video conversion for Dummies book or something? For now, I am just looking for something that will work without taking all day to figure it out... I would LOVE to learn what's going on behind the scenes but not sure where to even start. In the meantime, I need to find something I can use before I go to Alaska on Wednesday...
    Video conversion is at least as much art as science and even if you know what each option does, it still takes a lot of time and experimentation. Your best bet before Wednesday is to learn more of the ins and outs of handbrake. Try a bunch of short samples until you find something acceptable.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Any suggestions about what "category" in handbrake I need to adjust so the image is not pixilated and the sound is not choppy? I chose "large file size", MP4 and saved it to "my videos". It seems like it is not "decoding" the DVD correctly...
    Any help is appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!