VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Guys, new to the forum but have been reading from the wings for some time now,
    Looking for some help or advice regarding my sony hdv-z7e,
    Basicaly i have my shutter locked down to 50 and white balance set and also locked down but auto iris but even in a dull room my apature goes all the way down to f11 and still asks for nd1- nd2, just seems that when its in auto iris is always at the high end , outside in the sun its f11 and nd4, is this normal for this camera? my z1 would happily sit at f5 in bright conditions,
    Any help or advice appreciated,
    Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. You don't mention where the gain is set, which is another thing that can affect exposure.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, Sorry the gain is set at 0 but have tried -6 and that helps me open the iris a little more
    Quote Quote  
  4. Definitely sounds like something is off. If you go full auto does the picture look properly exposed?"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    In auto the picture is not what i would expect from the z7 (my z1 seems better)
    Quote Quote  
  6. Try the reset button. Go to a "normal" picture profile and reset that. Make sure hyper gain is off. Double check the lens mounting. If none of this works it may be a repair-shop level problem.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, reset normal picture profile and just seems the same, for all i know this could be normal, I have attached 2 pictures and on both its set at nd2 and calling for nd3, the light comming in is not direct sunlight but is bright, do you think the appature numbers looks right for the conditions? Thanks Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4504[1].JPG
Views:	162
Size:	1.47 MB
ID:	25682Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4503[1].JPG
Views:	154
Size:	1.43 MB
ID:	25683
    Quote Quote  
  8. It doesn't look unreasonable -- but an actual captured frame, or short clip, would be more helpful. Point it at something other than a light source -- even better a test chart.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4506[1].JPG
Views:	211
Size:	1.76 MB
ID:	25684Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4505[1].JPG
Views:	160
Size:	1.46 MB
ID:	25685
    No nd on these 2 pictures will upload a clip in the net few mins , thanks for your help btw
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    My biggest worry is I will be filming abroad in the next few weeks and worried i will have to have the iris almost closed (f11) all the time in the daytime sun,
    If this is normal then i can live with it but its the not knowing thats bugging me,
    Quote Quote  
  11. Aside from normal YouTube artifacts, nothing looks noticeably off for an auto iris shot. 1/50th is the slowest shutter speed you can use, so the iris will be open the most. If you're looking for a lower f. stop, (short depth of field?) raise the shutter speed, lower the gain and add ND's. (You can add filters to the front of the lens if you need to.)
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Thanks for all your help, really appreciate it,
    Quote Quote  
  13. You're welcome. Happy shooting.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!