VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Just curious what people prefer. I started out using AAC because I read that it as a superior format. However, I've been getting better sound quality with AC3.
    Quote Quote  
  2. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Depends a lot on the chosen encoder and on the chosen bitrate.

Depending on the phase of the moon , I may use AC3, AAC, DTS, MLP, MP2, MP3, and even the infamous ATRAC3 from Sony

AC3 is considered perceptually-transparent at 128kbps per channel, whereas
    AAC (Low-Complexity) is considered perceptually-transparent at somewhere between 64kbps and 80kbps per channel.

FWIW: Opus is the newest toy in the playground, and many people are liking it
    Caveat: it's locked at the 48kHz sampling rate, possibly because ATRAC3 is locked at 44.1kHz
    Last edited by El Heggunte; 20th Dec 2014 at 23:06.
    Quote Quote  
  3. I prefer the original audio . But if you need low bitrates , then a good AAC encoder will wipe the floor against any AC3 implementation
    Quote Quote  
  4. AC3 5.1 at 640 kb/s, for widest compatibility. And it's good enough.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    AC3 5.1 at 640 kb/s, for widest compatibility. And it's good enough.
    This. A lot of hardware players have trouble with aac. Especially in a mkv container or 6 channel audio. I cannot understand why anyone would take a perfectly good ac3 file and convert it to aac unless all they have to play it back on is an Apple Player. Then I would recommend buying a cheap media player before recommending converting all their audio files to aac.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use AC-3 at 640 kb/s for my Blue-ray backups to MKV/H.264. For DVD backups, I just pass the existing AC-3 through.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I do exactly the same as Redwudz.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Beauty is in the ear of the beholder.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!