VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.myfoxorlando.com/dpp/news/local/100410-glasses-free-3d-tv-sale-ncx

depth-filled images that can be viewed smoothly from any angle without glasses.
    How is that possible from any angle?

The early reports on the nintendo 3ds are that it loses the 3d effect when you move away from a head on shot. If this is similar technology how can they make a claim that it works from any angle?

Are there specs on these? (specifications - not specs as in glasses )

I think I remember reading that they were done with some kind of alternating technology in the screen but that early versions were limited in the field of view but now they can do it without a sweetspot?
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  2. That article is wrong. It's viewable from particular angles. And given the size of the screens and the recommended viewing distance you will be watching from only one angle, directly in front.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/1740317/toshiba-releases-3d-lcd-tvs-dont-requ...pecial-glasses
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    That article is wrong. It's viewable from particular angles.
    That's what I was wondering about. It doesn't seem glasses free technology is ready for regular everyday large room useage.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
  4. A little more information:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-11467352

"40 degree sweet spot" I assume that means 20 degrees to either side. Very narrow but still better than I would have expected.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo
    Very narrow but still better than I would have expected.
    Agreed. Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm still struggling with "3D" in these movies. Nothing natural about it. It is an effects gimmick, not the Holodeck.

Since we have a motivated user here, Yoda313 please explain what you think you are seeing in 3D?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eddv
    Yoda313 please explain what you think you are seeing in 3D?
    First off let me state up front I will not be buying a 3dtv in the near future (nor probably in the next 3 or 4 years either). I'm just intrigued by new technologies thats all.

Though I probably will buy a nintendo 3ds when it drops to 200.00 after its initial 300.00 price point.

----------

As far as 3d movies I have only seen ICE AGE 3 in 3d. It was pretty decent - the movie itself. As far as the 3d part goes I was a little disapointed. There were only certain moments in the film that had that "wow" factor. Much of the time in static shots or when they were simply walking nothing was popping out of the screen.

Of course when they have all the trailers before the movie everything is in 3d and makes you think every minute of a 3d movie is going to look like that. Certainly like any trailer they always use the biggest and brightest moments of a movie to get you to go see it.

I'm just fascinated by new tech thats all. Just because I might not be getting it myself doesn't mean I don't want to know about it.

And actually I am 3d capable right now - well 1080i capable - of course I mean my ps3 I just don't have a 120hz hdtv set yet to utilize 3d.

I always want to keep on top of new tech even if it will be a few years down the line before I jump in.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    one contact lens is green, the other red
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I get headaches watching them...never will buy.
    'Do I look absolutely divine and regal, and yet at the same time very pretty and rather accessible?' - Queenie
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think "3D" is an overstatement of the effect. Humans use binocular vision only over a dozen feet or so. Farther out we judge depth by relative size. The movie effects play with relative size to enhance the effect but this just seems unnatural to me.

The best 3D I've seen was the NASA IMAX film inside the International Space Station. The confined space made the 3D seem natural except for the wide lens distortion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by eddv
    except for the wide lens distortion.
    Were you watching on a flat imax or a dome imax? The dome ones drive me nutty.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Flat is Imax, dome is Omnimax.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Flat - At Cape Canaveral NASA
    Quote Quote