VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I googled a bit and I also browsed this forum but couldn't find definitive answers to my problem.

I am ripping animes from blu ray and I want to have dual audio track as well as subtitles in case I want to watch them in Japanese with English subs. I rip them with MakeMKV, making sure to include all the audio tracks. Then I convert them with VidCoder to make them 720p. Everything is ok, resolution, audio tracks, except that the subtitles don't appear well on the screen. They're really big, on the bottom right of the screen and sometimes they're cut off. Is there a way to fix this? To make the subs display the same way they do on the 1080 video? I looked at every option in VidCoder and there doesn't seem to be a way to resize the subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  2. you can use simple command lines if you have java installed with BDSup2Sub, using eac3to to demux sup stream or whatever gets you original sup out of mkv:
    get your track number:
    eac3to.exe "input.mkv"
    demux that track, for example #7:
    eac3to.exe "input.mkv" 7: "your_subtitle_track.sup"
    encode that sup into idx,sub 720:
    "C:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre7\bin\java.exe" -Xmx256m -jar "C:\BDSup2Sub\bdsup2sub.jar" "your_subtitle_track.sup" "out.sub" /res:720

or use MKVextract or eac3to gui versions to get your SUP stream, then BDSup2Sub gui to create SUB stream (and IDX as well), 720 resulution, not necessarily command lines

or you can simply download srt somewhere from web, srt subs look much better on screen, because they are not bitmaps, pictures like idx/sub, that is just downscaled from original SUP,
    or you can make your own srt using OCR from your sup original using some subtitle program that can do it, not sure how reliable it is nowadays and how long it takes to make sure new subs look ok
    or hard to believe that vidcoder or handbrake is not solving this, to downscale those subs , don't know
    Quote Quote  
  3. You probably copied PGS subtitles from your source to the output.

1) In Vidcoder you could choose to hardcode (Burn-in) the subtitles.

2) You could de-mux the subtitles with MKVExtractGUI and resize them with BDSup2Sub++ and mux those back in with MKVMergeGUI replacing the 1080
    Quote Quote  
  4. Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try those.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!