If you've done research on TBCs, I'm sure you seen the documented errors that can be created by them. The tearing that can occur at the top of the screen and "velocity error" that I just read up on are seem moost prominent. I noticed the VCR can change the severity of at least the tearing error. Also in relation to the VCR used are jumps that seem to occur at relatively the same places in the tape (after careful review). It seems like changing out the VCR can affect the frequency of this as well, but unfortunately seems to never be able to reduce them to zero on old tapes. I am brainstorming ways to get rid of these "jump errors."

*note: I'll try to post a picture later but it looks like a badly combed frame.*

My original idea was to use the iscombed() function in avisynth so it identifys these frames. I imagine the threshold could be set so regular interlaced frames aren't identifed as combed. These frames could then be deleted and the assumeFPS() (or changeFPS()?) command could be used to restore the 29.97 frame rate.

I then got to thinking that anywhere there was a scene change, a perceived "jump error" would be identifed. My next idea was to drop one of the fields of these frames and resize it to XXX x 480. I don't imagine I would notice a frame or two at half resolution as much as I would a bunch of deleted ones with the video stretched.

Anyone else have any ideas? I'm about maxed out on equipment right now. I have a couple old decent quality VHS machines and Toshiba and Victor SVHS machines. I have a Prime Image 50II for a TBC. I can use basic avisynth commands but I would need help figuring out how to pick out these frames and act on them on an individual basis.

Any brainstorming help appreciated. I'm at light drizzle right now...