VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help. Anyone know a software to recover an ISO file. It was a movie of my son's friend, i thought i backed it up ok, but it wasn't. I deleted it from the recycle bin, now i need to get it back. Anyone help please. I tried "Recover my Files" but it didn't work.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try R Studio
    Quote Quote  
  3. You could also try directory snoop. You get 25 free uses of it before you either uninstall or buy.
    Believing yourself to be secure only takes one cracker to dispel your belief.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I haven't had to use this one, but the folks that brought us CCleaner have a recovery tool, Recuva. It is free. Good luck!
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Try Glary Utilities. It has a file undelete module. It's free and has a bunch of other useful tools. But whatever you choose, make sure you install on a different drive otherwise you may write over the file you want.

http://www.glaryutilities.com/gu.html
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by piano632
    ... But whatever you choose, make sure you install on a different drive otherwise you may write over the file you want.
    Excellent point!

I checked Recuva's site, and found a reference for a Recuva - Portable, but it's "for system admins and advanced users".
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can R Studio do an ISO dvd image
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    an iso image is just a file like any other. a bit bigger than most but still just a data file. recovery is usually only possible if nothing has been written to the drive after the delete. if anything has been written it's quite possible the iso file has been partially overwritten and not recoverable. if it's the boot disc and/or the page file disc chances are slim for recovery as disc writes go on all the time.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    i deleted it yesterday. It was a 4.5gb iso image file. I can't seem to find any recovery software for it. I tried above, no luck.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    FreeUndelete from http://www.officerecovery.com/freeundelete/ has found and recovered any deleted file I've ever attempted to recover. Other undelete programs should be able to recover the file too if it hasn't been overwritten since ISO file is just another file as aedipuss states. The file will not be found by any undelete program if it's been over written which is likely your problem if you're unable to recover the file.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Most undelete software will not recover extremely large files, unless it was already running and creating it's own information file. If it relies on the MS file information for recovery, it can't be done. The way it was explained to me is that it's because large files use secondary pointers that can't be recovered. I have been looking without success for something to recover accidentally deleted DV-AVI files which tend to be 10 - 15gb. Often times the undelete software will identify the filename as recoverable, but show a 0 file size or a size that is significantly smaller than the original.
    But please, please, please, if you find one that works, post back and let us know.
    "Shut up Wesley!" -- Captain Jean-Luc Picard
    Buy My Books
    Quote Quote