VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello all,

I have attached three images strait from the Samsung manual stating the supported codec's.

I am using Xilisoft Video Converted Ultimate 6 and have tried everything under every video menu and converted it. It seems hit or miss.

I am converting the files and then streaming them over my network to the TV in case you are wondering.

If it plays the video, there is no audio because it does not support the audio codec. The other times it says un-supported video format which means it does not like the codec I'm assuming.

The TV is a Samsung UN55D7050 LINK

Just in case you are wondering I have been attempting the supported codec's listed in the manual and not just shooting from the hip.

Thanks to all in advance.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	1.png
Views:	808
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	9388  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2.png
Views:	911
Size:	84.8 KB
ID:	9389  

Click image for larger version

Name:	3.png
Views:	579
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	9390  

Quote Quote  
  2. Maybe someone will reply who uses that software, but I wouldn't be surprised if no one does. I can't recall the last time anything by Xilisoft was discussed here, and IIRC, they don't have a good reputation here. While Xilisoft Video Converter is listed in the tools section, there have been zero comments and no one has bothered writing a guide for it.

I'm not trying to be a wise guy here. I'm just suggesting you may want to consider trying some of the programs listed in the Tools section here.

It would be helpful if you told us what you're trying to do, IN DETAIL, and what source files you want to convert as well. DVD? Blu-Ray? MKVs? Cam footage? What? Keep in mind that this forum won't help you with Warez.

Anyway, welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I agree with Fritzi, the software you are using is crap. Try Ripbot264 to convert you file and set profile to "Simple Mobile Device", select mp4 as the video format and 2 channel 2.0 CT AAC-LC 96 kpbs audio.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Stick close to DVD spec, Blu-Ray spec or broadcast ATSC or DVB.

Otherwise you are in for a tough science fair project. Alternative is an external media player.

PS: You haven't identified your country. If USA forget any PAL resolutions or frame rates. Those are all blocked by Samsung. Your posted tables seem to indicate a PAL/DVB country.
    Last edited by edDV; 28th Oct 2011 at 20:17.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    Alternative is an external media player.
    Actually very good advice, I have never been satisfied with what manufactures give you out the box. I remember back in the early days of DVD combing through forums to find hacks for my DVD players so they could support more formats. In the end converting my media to a format that suited me and building a device to play said format was the answer for me.

Look into the WDTV from what i here it's the best thing going next to a dedicate media server.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Thanks to all who have replied so far.

A few questions I see in the replies I will try to answer.

fritzi93:
    Q.) "It would be helpful if you told us what you're trying to do, IN DETAIL, and what source files you want to convert as well. DVD? Blu-Ray? MKVs? Cam footage? What? Keep in mind that this forum won't help you with Warez."

A.) I have been given a few movies from a Friend which has a couple of ripped DVD's and some from an unknown source. I am trying to take the ones that do NOT work and convert them to a similar format.

I also have some footage from an iPhone4 which I would like to be able to watch on my LED TV as well.

Some of the file extentions are .mov and .avi.

edDV:
    Q.) " You haven't identified your country. If USA forget any PAL resolutions or frame rates. Those are all blocked by Samsung. Your posted tables seem to indicate a PAL/DVB country."

A.) USA.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If you want to pursue this "science fair" project, start with compatible DVD, Blu-Ray, AVCHD disc or ATSC formats then branch out.

You can call Samsung, ask if Apple iXXX formats are accepted. If so Handbrake has presets to convert most.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'd ignore any advice regarding sticking to DVD spec, Blu-Ray specs etc. We're no longer living in the dark ages.

I own a Samsung Plasma (I live in PAL-land) and my supported file types/codec list looks identical to the one you posted (from memory). My TV's media player will play pretty much anything (well all the common video types you'll find in typical containers such as AVI, MP4 and MKV etc). You mightn't be able to play "PAL video" as such (by that I mean 16:9, 720x576 "DVD type video") but I'd be astounded if the player won't play an AVI/MKV/MP4 etc simply because the frame rate is 25fps. Chances are you're not trying to play much of that anyway.

I play all my video via a hard drive connected to the USB input. Whether it all changes when streaming I have no idea, but before assuming the TV's media player is the problem as such, maybe try putting a problem file on a USB thumb drive and playing it that way.

Sometimes, for reasons I can't define, the TV refuses to play something it appears it should, but so does my Sony Bluray player. They're never files I encoded myself though. Generally if one won't play something, the other will, so it's not often I bother trying to work out why it's happening anyway.

Here's we're I'd start. Have a look at the videos you have which won't play using MediaInfo (there's a link to the portable version which contains no adware) that'll tell you what's inside and whether the TV should play them, at least according to the specs. If you switch to HTML view (using MediaInfo) you can post the details here if you're not sure. Likewise you can post the info for the re-encoded versions which won't play. I don't use Xilisoft so I have no idea what it's output might have been or the settings you've used.

If I'm converting I generally use the x264 encoder for video (I assume Xilisoft can encode using it) with the default settings and High Profile, Level 4.1 in an MKV. My TV has never failed to play one of my encodes. My files usually contain MP3, AAC, AC3 or DTS audio and it has no problem with any of those.

You might also try opening the original video with MKVMergeGUI (I don't think it supports mov files but it'll open AVIs) and use it to remux the audio and video as MKV (no re-encoding). Sometimes it's not the video or audio which is the problem but the way it's muxed into the file itself. If the player supports the type of audio and video in your AVIs it should play them after they've been remuxed as MKVs with MKVMergeGUI. If it finds a problem it should offer an error or warning when muxing.

Video To Video Converter has a conversion preset called "direct stream copy". With any luck it'll open your mov files, copy the video and audio and save the output as MKV. Once again you could test the MKV version before heading down the re-encoding path.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 18th Mar 2014 at 02:03.
    Quote Quote