VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I'm confused. I've used HandBreak on my Mac without problems, but when I tried to scan and rip DVDs on a Windows either there won't be any titles available for selecting after HandBreak scans the disc or only a few are there, but they're not the main title/feature.

When I use it on my Mac everything shows, but not on the Windows?
    I've tried 2 discs: one region 2 and one a region 1.

What am I missing?

I need to find out how to rip DVDs on a Windows as I'm using a different computer now.

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Handbrake can't decrypt commercially bought dvd's. Not in Windows anyways, not sure about a Mac as I don't have one.

You must decrypt the dvd first to the PC using a DVD decrypter (I use DVD Fab but there are many others).

When the ripping is finished, use the "Open Folder" function in Handbrake and point it to the folder where you ripped the dvd to.

Or you can use an on-the-fly decrypter such as DVD Fab Passkey Lite.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Handbrake can use libdvdcss-2.dll (when renamed to libdvdcss) to decrypt DVD's with simple CSS encryption. Or at least, it used to be able to do this, I haven't ever used Handbrake for decryption. Instructions: http://technologyfueled.com/ipad-tricks/2013/5/10/1x5uxyxrw99trbg95lrh7a7xta40m3

If you need a free decrypter, the old standby DVD Decrypter still works for most DVD's. A newer program is available called TDMore Free DVD Copy. It may not work for very new releases.
    Quote Quote  
  4. I got it to work. Thanks a bunch!

Quick query: How often will I run into complicated CSS encryption? Any examples? Will the libdvdcss be good enough for most common DVDs?

I'm also experimenting with the DVD software mentioned. I want to have my bases covered. Thanks for the suggestions.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search PM
    It won't be "complicated CSS". What you'll find on some DVD's will be what we call structural protection, where the studios introduce deliberate errors (bad sectors) in the structure of the DVD. Sony ArccOS is one example of this type of protection added to the discs. These new variations of protection do still show up from time to time, but are not all that common.

If you run into a DVD that libdvdcss cannot handle, try the TDMore program. There is also another program that decrypts DVD's for free, called MakeMKV. It will only give you the main movie as output when working with DVD's, and the output will be in an uncompressed mkv file. This mkv file can be imported into Handbrake for compression/conversion.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!