Views:	197
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	26031

I have a big problem that I can not solve

My .mxf source:
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/39871584/C0111.MXF

my source:
    attached C0111.AVI
    is the "same" of C0111.MXF but in Morgan MJPEG codec, I was a problem that strangely this codec produce 1920x1088 images (instead of 1920x1080)

so now I would like do this:

- encode C0111.avi in mp4 but returning at 1920x1080

- and encode C0111.MXF in mp4

but I'm not able do to this

with ffmpeg can I resize or resize/crop or crop but preserving same quality also if the .avi is 1088? and what is the commandlines?

thanks also by my cats
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    MediaInfo(Source file):
    General
    Complete name : H:\TEMP\C0111.MXF
    Format : MXF
    Format profile : OP-1a
    Format settings : Closed / Complete
    File size : 21.6 MiB
    Duration : 2s 920ms
    Overall bit rate : 62.0 Mbps
    Encoded date : 2014-06-21 21:01:19.000
    Writing application : SONY Opt 1.22
    Writing library : SONY Opt 1.22

Video
    ID : 2
    Format : MPEG Video
    Format version : Version 2
    Format profile : 4:2:2@High
    Format settings, BVOP : Yes
    Format settings, Matrix : Custom
    Format_Settings_Wrapping : Frame
    Codec ID : 0D01030102046001-0401020201040300
    Duration : 2s 920ms
    Bit rate : 50.0 Mbps
    Width : 1 920 pixels
    Height : 1 080 pixels
    Display aspect ratio : 16:9
    Frame rate : 25.000 fps
    Standard : Component
    Color space : YUV
    Chroma subsampling : 4:2:2
    Bit depth : 8 bits
    Scan type : Interlaced
    Scan order : Top Field First
    Compression mode : Lossy
    Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.965
    Time code of first frame : 00:00:00:00
    Time code source : Group of pictures header
    Stream size : 17.4 MiB (81%)
    Color primaries : BT.709
    Transfer characteristics : BT.709
    Matrix coefficients : BT.709
    Hi marcorocchini,
    You somehow miraculously MXF (21 MB) turned to AVI (73 MB) !
    No need to crop or resize - only normal packaging to mkv, mp4, avi (passthrough).
    Recode for size reduction is not going to?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Since morgan is causing problem: Don't use morgan => problem fixed
    Quote Quote  
  4. mmm but my Broadcats TV channell need morgan.. what I have to do?
    please help my cats
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post
    mmm but my Broadcats TV channell need morgan.. what I have to do?
    please help my cats
    No they don't. No Broadcaster in the world uses Morgan, or requests it for submissions . It's a non standard MJPEG format.
    Quote Quote  
  6. poison I have change mjpeg codec, I use lead codec

I wonder this: if I convert my .avi in a mjpeg lead avi file and the .avi I convert it on mp4, this mp4 have to be or not same video levels and same Bt709 of the original mxf hd file?

And if I play the .mp4 on my media player box that have 1 Sd analog output, do it BT709-->bt601 colorconversion? I should have send my .mp4 to the broadcats television, but if I know all parameters for SD files I don't know parameters for hd files. At the moment I can upload .mp4 files with a system called vmover

In attachment: bars HD with lead mjpeg codec

I have use

v:\automazioneclip\core\ffmpeg.exe -y -i barsLead.avi -pix_fmt yuvj420p -f rawvideo -vcodec rawvideo - | v:\automazioneclip\core\ffmpeg.exe -y -f rawvideo -s 1920x1080 -r 25 -i - -c:v libx264 -profile:v main -level:v 3 -g 33 -bf 1 -crf 18 -flags +ilme+ildct -top 1 -vf colormatrix=bt601:bt709 -c:a libvo_aacenc -b 256k -aspect 16:9 out.mp4

but in the sd output of the mediaplayer box, levels seems wrong
    Last edited by marcorocchini; 3rd Jul 2014 at 20:14.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post
    poison I have change mjpeg codec, I use lead codec

I wonder this: if I convert my .avi in a mjpeg lead avi file and the .avi I convert it on mp4, this mp4 have to be or not same video levels and same Bt709 of the original mxf hd file?
    It depends on the decoder used, depends on the software handing off to lead/mjpeg

Technically mjpeg is usually suppose to be stored at 0-255 YUV, but some decoders convert this by clamping, some clip, some return full range. That's one of the many reasons it's not a good intermediate - it's very inconsistent

So it also depends what your software did internally before rendering out to Mjpeg . Did it work in YUV for the entire workflow? Did it do a RGB => YUV conversion? If so, what matrix ?

And if I play the .mp4 on my media player box that have 1 Sd analog output, do it BT709-->bt601 colorconversion? I should have send my .mp4 to the broadcats television, but if I know all parameters for SD files I don't know parameters for hd files. At the moment I can upload .mp4 files with a system called vmover ^^

If media box has sd analog output (composite ? Red, Yellow, White ?) , it will be outputing YUV signal, and no 709<=>601 conversion occuring. That will be responsiblity of the display as it recieves the YUV signal and displays as RGB
    Quote Quote  
  8. Check your lead mjpeg link, I cannot see it

You don't need to pipe to change the levels; the ffmpeg version of -vf scale can override the -pix_fmt yuvj420p issue . ffmbc version cannot - it uses different -vf scale . -vf scale now has input/output matrices and tv/pc ranges .

Your interlaced chroma will cause issues , because you are scaling interlaced 422 => interlaced 420, but using progressive scaling algorithm => this will cause "chroma ghosting. You need interl=1 to signal interlaced scaling

These things were mentioned in your other thread
    Quote Quote  
  9. mm sorry: this is attachemet is the .avi in lead mjpg
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  10. There is chroma aliasing (see vertical lines on the test pattern) in leadmjpg file, especially visible if you view Cb, Cr planes separately. Also there is a combing pattern that shouldn't be present on still image.

This has been cropped, enlarged 2x with nearest neighbor resize. Top half is original, bottom half is lead mjpeg. Notice the grid pattern and vertical line

Click image for larger version

Name:	problem.png
Views:	139
Size:	1.6 KB
ID:	26066

This has correct matrix if it was exported from your NLE (it matches the barsHD.mxf), so no need to adjust for 700<=>601 , but I would still "flag" the metadata as 709 with libx264 using -x264opts

If you still want to use it without piping (I wouldn't because of the quality issues in the lead mjpeg file), you can override the full range ffmpeg decoding yuvj422p and levels PC=>TV by using -vf scale with in_range and out_range. You force both to be TV and it will be the same as the original mxf

Btw, you level limits don't make sense for HD encoding
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Levels

Level 3 is meant for SD encoding, You should be using Level 4, or 4.1 . You should use maxrate and bufsize if this is for devices.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i leadmjpg.avi -c:v libx264 -pix_fmt yuv420p -profile:v main -level:v 4.1 -g 33 -bf 0 -crf 18 -flags +ildct+ilme -x264opts tff=1:ref=1:colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709:vbv-maxrate=40000:vbv-bufsize=30000 -vf scale=w=-1:h=-1:interl=1:in_range=tv:out_range=tv -an -aspect 16:9 lead.mp4

Remember this post?
    https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/365502-MP4-from-ffmpeg-unplayable-please-help-my-**...=1#post2330581

That illustrates chroma ghosting issue from interlaced 422 => 420 using progressive scaling algorithm. -vf scale with interl=1 will use interlaced chroma scaling
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 4th Jul 2014 at 13:33.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Can you upload same colorbars with morgan mjpeg ? I want to see if chroma issues exist with it as well

There was a field order glitch in your first morgan file at the end

You should be able to crop the 8px out vertically without issue (they're just at the bottom, and 8px crop is "legal" for interlaced 4:2:2 or 4:2:0)
    Quote Quote  
  12. yes yes yes
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  13. It looks clean/fine, but it was encoded using vdub according to the name ?

Are you planning to use morgan from NLE, or from vdub ?

Was leadMJPG.avi from vdub or from NLE ? (I want to rule out issue with your NLE, or was it fault of lead codec? )
    Quote Quote  
  14. So to do the 8px crop, you can use -vf crop (no special rules for interlaced vertical crop in this case since it's 8px) ; but since you have to do in_range , out_range as well, you need to use -filter_complex

So this is for your morgan files. This commandline uses no bframes (copied from your commandline given above), but I would use profile:v high, and -bf 2 instead - high@L4.1 with 2 bframes is pretty standard for HD AVC encodes . It will give you slightly better compression (better quality at the same filesize, or lower filesize at the same quality)

Code:
    ffmpeg -i morgan_input.avi -c:v libx264 -profile:v main -level:v 4.1 -g 33 -bf 0 -crf 18 -flags +ildct+ilme -x264opts tff=1:ref=1:colorprim=bt709:transfer=bt709:colormatrix=bt709:vbv-maxrate=40000:vbv-bufsize=30000 -filter_complex crop=out_h=1080:y=0,scale=interl=1:in_range=tv:out_range=tv -pix_fmt yuv420p -an -aspect 16:9 morgan_output.mp4
    Quote Quote  
  15. mm yes it seems work but if I don't mistake levels video are a little attenuated: is there a way to change levels, pc-->tv or viceversa?

out_range=full?
    Quote Quote  
  16. How are you checking levels ? What hardware or software? What display and graphics setup -> are they calibrated ?

Levels in the output are the same as the source mxf. Check and confirm with a waveform.

There is no levels filter in ffmpeg yet, but there is a LUT function - I haven't used it. Basically there is no easy way to make adjustments yet like you can in a NLE or avisynth

source mxf

Name:	source.png
Views:	157
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	26076

ffmpeg libx264 output

Name:	output_libx264.png
Views:	129
Size:	13.6 KB
ID:	26077
    Quote Quote  
  17. I use vlc: seems that mp4 from the .avi have level a little attenuted

reference is: same commandline but source is barsHD.mxf (original bars HD from the camera), and the levels semms ok

And then: open the .mp4 with virtualdub with the FFmpeg plugin

Name:  FFVD.JPG
Views: 649
Size:  17.1 KB

but seems also the .mp4 have levels attenuated

hoewver I transfer in uncompressed (YUY2) output file into my digisuite system connected to the waveform video:

result is that if I open barsHD.mxf in virtualdub and put the output on timeline, bars levels is ok
    but when I use the ffmpeg output from this commandline, levels are attenuated
    Quote Quote  
  18. The original MXF, and output h264/MP4 are legal range Y'16-235 .

or did you mean levels attenuated COMPARED TO THE MJPEG ???

That's because the mjpeg is "illegal" 0-255 . The mjpeg will be decoded by ffmpeg as 0-255 full range YUV , but unless you convert to RGB with a full range matrix the blacks will be crushed, whites blown when they are converted to RGB for display. But most hardware and software cannot handle full range properly even if flagged full range. They will use the wrong Rec matrix. The correct thing to do is use standard/legal range YUV 16-235 so it looks correct everywhere
    Quote Quote  
  19. when I you your commanline and source is directly .mxf --> levels is ok also on my digisuite hardware system and confirm is all ok

but "strangely" when the source is .avi mjpeg levels are attenuated

as reference I assume that scale and levels

Name:	LEVOK.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	26079
    Quote Quote  
  20. I wonder, in ffmpeg what correspond to avisynth at the

ColorYUV(levels="PC->TV")

(or viceversa)?
    Quote Quote  
  21. Without a doubt, the levels in the output MP4 (derived from morgan) are the same as the MXF . 100% certain

You might be using different renderer for display . Make sure you have 1 video application open at one time. Then close it, then reopen and open other video. In vdub disable direct x

Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post
    I wonder, in ffmpeg what correspond to avisynth at the

ColorYUV(levels="PC->TV")

(or viceversa)?

You can change the -vf scale in_range and out_range . I wouldn't do it here unless you want something different than the mxf and wrong levels
    Last edited by poisondeathray; 4th Jul 2014 at 17:32.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Or maybe you're using old ffmpeg ? you need new ffmpeg for the new -vf scale with in_range and out_range . Look at the log file for errors

Check this, it's just 2 frames from the morgan avi as input, with the same commandline
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  23. mm, my cats demand: what version of ffmpeg are you using?
    Quote Quote  
  24. Oh my cats have think what you have think at the same time ^^
    Quote Quote  
  25. V:\automazioneclip\core>ffmpeg
    ffmpeg version N-58502-g738ebb4 Copyright (c) 2000-2013 the FFmpeg developers
    built on Nov 27 2013 22:01:44 with gcc 4.8.2 (GCC)
    configuration: --enable-gpl --enable-version3 --disable-w32threads --enable-av
    isynth --enable-bzlib --enable-fontconfig --enable-frei0r --enable-gnutls --enab
    le-iconv --enable-libass --enable-libbluray --enable-libcaca --enable-libfreetyp
    e --enable-libgsm --enable-libilbc --enable-libmodplug --enable-libmp3lame --ena
    ble-libopencore-amrnb --enable-libopencore-amrwb --enable-libopenjpeg --enable-l
    ibopus --enable-librtmp --enable-libschroedinger --enable-libsoxr --enable-libsp
    eex --enable-libtheora --enable-libtwolame --enable-libvidstab --enable-libvo-aa
    cenc --enable-libvo-amrwbenc --enable-libvorbis --enable-libvpx --enable-libwavp
    ack --enable-libx264 --enable-libxavs --enable-libxvid --enable-zlib
    libavutil 52. 55.100 / 52. 55.100
    libavcodec 55. 44.100 / 55. 44.100
    libavformat 55. 21.102 / 55. 21.102
    libavdevice 55. 5.102 / 55. 5.102
    libavfilter 3. 91.100 / 3. 91.100
    libswscale 2. 5.101 / 2. 5.101
    libswresample 0. 17.104 / 0. 17.104
    libpostproc 52. 3.100 / 52. 3.100
    Hyper fast Audio and Video encoder
    usage: ffmpeg [options] [[infile options] -i infile]... {[outfile options] outfi
    le}...
    Quote Quote  
  26. I don't know when they added the new -vf scale with the new options, but just download new ffmpeg binary to be sure

Download the file from post #22 to check as well
    Quote Quote  
  27. mmmm Name:  CCATS7.JPG
Views: 622
Size:  12.4 KB
    Quote Quote  
  28. now I have used the ffmpeg version N-64405-g7d179b1 Copyright (c) 2000-2014 the FFmpeg developers
    built on Jul 3 2014 22:02:04 with gcc 4.8.3 (GCC)

but I see also in vlc 2 different levels: when (in your commanline) I use as inputfile the original mxf --> levels are ok
    meanwhile when use the mjpeg avi levels are attenuated

hoewver I have this issue also when in vlc I play directly a .mxf and a .avi mjpeg file, but this problem are solved when after NLE and using ffmpeg and or ffmbc in pipe I reencode in mxf or mp4 SD
    Quote Quote  
  29. Is "mmmm" good or bad ?

Go it figured out ?

If you don't force "TV" levels with vf scale, ffmpeg "thinks" MJPEG is yuvj420p . That "j" means full range. So when you convert to yuv420 normally, the contrast will be reduced as you go from 16-235 to 32-215 . Reduced range, reduced contrast. Image looks "washed" out. I explained this to you in a few of your other threads

Wrong levels (compare with post #16)

Name:	wrong.png
Views:	211
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	26082

If you use an RGB color picker, you will see "white" is 235,235,235, instead of 255,255,255 like it is in post #16. i.e "white" is not "white"
    Quote Quote  
  30. Originally Posted by marcorocchini View Post

but I see also in vlc 2 different levels: when I use as inputfile the original mxf levels are ok
    meanwhile when use the mjpeg avi levels are attenuated

Remember I said mjpeg is BAD. That's one of the reasons. Different prorams will handle MJPEG differently. Very inconsistent. Some decode full range, some clamp, some clip

In order to "reverse" what was done, that ffmpeg commandline is required, the levels in post 16 show that original source mxf = output mp4. A different workflow might be required if you used another mjpeg decoder

For example, in your NLE, it's not using ffmpeg /libav libraries to decode mjpeg, it might handle mjpeg completely differently
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!