VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. This is embarrassing for me. My family comes to me with their techie needs and I can't seem to help with this latest request <g>. My brother just bought Iron Man 3 and Avengers this weekend on really nice Blue-Ray/DVD combos. He needs me to make a copy for his PSP as that's what he'll use the most. But I can't seem to rip it for him.

I found MacX_DVD_Ripper_Pro_For_Windows and it states it will rip the latest movie with Disney DRM on it, which Iron Man 3 supposedly has, but I've had no luck.

Can anyone help please? Like me, he also doesn't like to play his disks as they can get scratched, etc.. We both prefer to back up the DVDs in our collection and play the digital copies. So it would be nice to be able to do this for him so he can play on his portable PS.

Oh, it would be nice, though I imagine difficult for this to be done with a freeware (?).

Thanks in advance!
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    use dvdfab
    Quote Quote  
  3. Sorry, I should have mentioned that I tried that app, too. But it keeps coming up with an error code. I've dl 3 different versions, including a second one from the VideoHelp link above that you've kindly provided and nothing. I'm stumped.

Also, our first time looking at the goodies the combo pack supposedly provides. I got the free music with the code, but when I decided to give up trying to back up his DVD disk so he can watch on his PSP and decided to just go ahead and see what these digital copies are all about, I found that these downloaded versions have an expiry day!! And you need to burn to disk! (?!) So what's the point?

I didn't proceed. We're not the types of people who want a digital copy for a couple of years! We want a "permanent" copy and hopefully a digital copy so that we can preserve our disks. I have a huge selection of DVDs, myself, but I almost exclusively watch my avi versions.

I don't have a Blu-Ray reader/writer on this PC, it's old, so can't try backing up from that disk instead.

<sigh> Why do they have to make things so complicated. I can understand his frustration. He bought this because, like me, we're loving the Marvel films hugesly. But he watches his favourite movies and TV shows off his PSP that I rip for him more than he does his DVD player at home. He doesn't have a computer and doesn't know how to use one, actually.

Is there anything out there besides MacX DVD Ripper and DVDFab, tall order preferably freeware, that I can try next? It's a brand-new disk, he bought Friday or Saturday of this weekend so it's not like it's because this is damaged. It's new!

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You must probably wait until the rippers has been updated. You could try latest anydvd beta also.

Most free solutions are no longer updated but they still might work on some dvds. Like the very old dvddecrypter, dvdshrink etc.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Are you doing this on a Mac? If so, then like most new members you failed to realized that you need Mac specific help and this post should have been put in our Mac forum. I understand why you think it's a ripping issue, but actually it's a "ripping under Mac" issue which makes it a Mac issue to us. We have members here who specifically look for Mac forum posts (they get marked with a special symbol) to offer Mac specific help. If you have access to Windows, try DVDFab or AnyDVD there. DVDFab for Mac may not be updated as frequently. Both of those movies have been out long enough that ripping under Windows should be fine.

Yes, the expiration dates on the digital copies are proof that Hollywood STILL after all these year doesn't get what consumers really want. It's been like this for years now, so don't expect any changes. Disney has a new streaming service that just started. I have no idea if digital copies on that will expire or not.
    Quote Quote  
  6. No, the above software is MacX for Windows, sorry didn't realize that would confuse.

Re DVDshrink and DVDDecrypter, that's what I tried first. But it seems, and the MacX DVD Ripper app for windows pops up a bring screen to explain, it's the new Disney DRM. Well, fine. But it still shouldn't be so hard to make a back up, in my view! Sheesh.

Anyway, will try again tonight. Maybe he'll be interested in buying that AnyDVD what with the movies he's bought in last week and he plans to get the new Capt. America movie when it comes out, and though he's taking me for my birthday to see it, it still hasn't come out yet!!! <lol>

Because even a beta of AnyDVD will likely put a watermark or something, I'm guessing unless one buys it.

Thanks again. Will keep trying for a bit longer then when I see him next Sunday, see what he wants to do. He paid $16 bucks for this combo pack! A good deal, sure, but not if he can't watch it on my PSP whenever he likes (he carries that thing around with him at all times; it's a kewl gadget!).

Cheers!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    DVDShrink and DVDDecrypter do NOT understand the kind of bad sector copy protection that Disney, Sony and some other studios use. Neither program has been updated in years nor will they be updated again but explaining why is lengthy and distracts from your issue.

DVDFab SHOULD have worked, but as we have no way to see what you've done, I can only suggest that you try AnyDVD. I think the trial is fully functional but it expires quickly. I don't think it uses a watermark.
    Quote Quote  
  8. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Anydvd does not convert so it can't leave any watermark. So you must convert with something else like vidcoder.

And Anydvd beta is not in trial mode if the normal version fails.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    DVDShrink and DVDDecrypter do NOT understand the kind of bad sector copy protection that Disney, Sony and some other studios use. Neither program has been updated in years nor will they be updated again but explaining why is lengthy and distracts from your issue.
    No worries. I've googled and read so much during this whole thing that I understand that it's going to take newer products anyway, esp. since, as you go on to state a well-known fact, that these both haven't been updated in years.

Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    DVDFab SHOULD have worked, but as we have no way to see what you've done, I can only suggest that you try AnyDVD. I think the trial is fully functional but it expires quickly. I don't think it uses a watermark.
    Thanks to Baldrick's comment - makes sense. AnyDVD doesn't convert so it wouldn't leave a watermark, but wondering if the trial does something else like truncate the output. Hopefully can get to the point that either one of these apps works and can see what they do and whether they work fully during the trial so we can get a good grasp on them. If they continue to make Marvel movies, my brother will likely keep adding to his collection so it may be worth investing in one of these apps despite the fact that I didn't have luck with either on the weekend. I now suspect another issue may be what's going on here, though, so worth checking out:

Next step will be to try wiping the drive and reinstalling the OS. Nothing has pointed to this being the cause, but I can't think of why else DVDfab and AnyDVD failed. They've come up in many googled threads where people are reporting that they've worked for these Marvel movies that contain Disney DRM.

But will have to wait till weekend to do this. Since others might have similar issues with bought disks, will report back. Hopefully that resolves this ... More and more of us don't use DVD players as much, but they're also like me. I want a disk, a tangible disk, that holds my movies and not just a digital copy. As long as they continue to sell machines like DVDs and now Blu-Rays, I will always prefer that to be the main source of my movies that I then back up and watch wherever - like on a stick on my little media player attached to my TV or plugged into the USB port on my parents' flatscreen.

Thank you!
    Quote Quote