VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I know ebay is not uaually a god place to shop for unbranded media and he like, but i came across these today, i know the quality of maxells and have used em before,should i bid on these? , there a good price especially for 4x +R.

Thanks for the opinions

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2789282389&category=11163&sspagen...ESSE%3AIT&rd=1
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Short answer: No

Long Answer: Maxell is typically good, yes. However, in todays ever changing world of optical media we learn that Name brand alone is by no means a guarantee. For example, Maxell Jewel Case DVD-R media, are the most famous maxell (and the best IMHO). However Maxell Spindle DVD-R media are quite different. The long and short of it is that in the jewel cases you get maxell *produced* media, while in the spindles you often find maxell *branded* media (meaning, someone else produced the actual disks). That doesn't make them bad, but it is different than the other ones (Maxell produced disks are the ones that are of the highest quality).

So the Maxell that is likely of interest to you are: Maxell DVD-R 2x-4x Jewel Cases (Media IDs: MXLRG01, MLXRG02).

I do not believe maxell manufactures DVD+R discs, and I think the few Maxell +R's I have seen were RICOHJPN (which can be found in Memorex DVD+Rpacks). So since the underlying discs are the same, there really is no advantage to getting these DVD+R discs (eg. RICOHJPN) branded as Maxell, vs branded as Memorex. And you'd likely pay more for the Maxell branded ones.

So in Summary: Media today is tricky. You can't really buy by brand name alone. You need to buy via specific product lines. Eg. Maxell Jewel Case DVD-R = Excellent! Maxell Jewel Case DVD+R = Only "OK" Maxell Spindle DVD-R = Not that great. And this info can change as time goes on.

Hope that helps

Aggies
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks, i am aware of the maxell diff between spindles and jeweled cased, i know one of the biggest fallacies in media ois too assume brand names will always be good, but these seem to be a conssitent generation (i used 4x maxell months ago) 50p for the uk is a bl**dy good price btw/ i dropped the seller a line and was told that the discs are made in japan and have a Taiyo Yuden Media code, i hink ill bid on these
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    If it's a good price for the underlying disc (TY) then go for it

I don't buy much +R so I haven't done alot of testing of the various manufacturers which means I have no real strong +R preference (except to use -R )

Aggies
    Quote Quote