VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. What is the best Popup blocker software

I just bought a new computer with know choice but OS being Windows 8. Every time I click on a link I will get two ad pages that popup and always get a iLivid page that pops up and tries to get me to install it.

Is iLivid a good program to install ? One of the Windows 8 problems that I have is that most of my software that worked on XP do not work on 8.

Will be very thankful for a reply, I'm so tired of have to click on a link 3 or 4 times to get to the information I want..
    Quote Quote  
  2. Pop ups on a brand new computer (?).
    What browser are you using?

Mozilla Firefox browser has a built in pop up blocker. Try that.
    Quote Quote  
  3. On what? Web browsers? Chrome, Firefox, and Opera have adblocker extensions. If you're using IE though, there's one program that I know to block popups & ads: Ad Muncher. Not free though.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/Popup-Ad-Spyware-Blockers/Ad-Muncher.shtml
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by GrafZeppelin View Post
    If you're using IE ...
    ... stop using it. It's inherently insecure.

I've found the best way is to use firefox, tell it to block popup ads as mentioned, and then install adblock plus.

I also kind of like chromium, which is the open source version of chrome available for linux. It doesn't track you like chrome does. But I've never been able to get ad blocking working as well as firefox in either google browser.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by tcory View Post
    Every time I click on a link I will get two ad pages that popup and always get a iLivid page that pops up and tries to get me to install it.

Is iLivid a good program to install ?
    Are you serious?
    Is this (another) joke?
    Do you REALLY think that solving a popup problem can be solved by installing the software recommended on one of the popups you are trying to get rid of?

If this is the case:
    "Put the mouse down and back away slowly."
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What is the best Popup blocker software

I just bought a new computer with know choice but OS being Windows 8.

Yet another student failed by the educational systems of the English speaking world. It's "no choice" not "know choice".
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    If you're using IE ...
    I'll assume that you have never used IE 10 then.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by tcory View Post
    Not specifically a popub blocker but try this: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
    After that try NoScript.

Of course not. Why else would they use such obtrusive methods of advertizing?
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th May 2013 at 12:42.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Every time I click on a link I will get two ad pages that popup and always get a iLivid page that pops up and tries to get me to install it.

Are you serious?
    Is this (another) joke?
    Do you REALLY think that solving a popup problem can be solved by installing the software recommended on one of the popups you are trying to get rid of?

If this is the case:
    "Put the mouse down and back away slowly."
    No Joke, but when I had XP I didn't have this problem. You move slowly backup to your computer and look up iLivid, because it exists joke? I think not. Have you ever used Windows 8/ IE ? That is where I have the problem,so maybe I want have that problem with Firefox.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Not specifically a popub blocker but try this: http://winhelp2002.mvps.org/hosts.htm
    After that try NoScript.

Of course not. Why else would they use such obtrusive methods of advertizing?
    Everyone that posted with a productive answer I that you and hech, just don't reply to my questions sense you think your smarter than everyone else with your SNazz posts
    Quote Quote  
  11. jman98 is correct you know. Here's another example: "I that you"
    Quote Quote  
  12. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Welcome to Windows 8 Forums. Our forum is dedicated to helping you find solutions for any problems or issues you are experiencing with Windows 8. The Windows 8 forum also covers news and updates and has an extensive Windows 8 tutorial section that covers a wide range of tips and tricks.
    http://www.eightforums.com/
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You move slowly backup to your computer
    This is a product of bad translation software. I'm guessing "move slowly backup" is a bad translation of creep or crawl or something like that.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Ever had a drink at the "Translate Server Error" bar?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Every time I click on a link I will get two ad pages that popup
    That sounds like you have an adware infection; popup blockers are a band-aid if you have malware on your system. Try this:
    http://thisisudax.blogspot.com/
    JRT is a great little (free) utility that works from command prompt. I keep it on my thumb drive when I go to someone's house. There is so much of this crap out there now it may not get the one (or more) on your computer, but it's free, won't hurt anything and worth a try.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Its a brand new computer and I do not have this problem sense someone told me to use Firefox. IE 10 SUCKS!!
    Quote Quote  
  17. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    If you're using IE ...
    I'll assume that you have never used IE 10 then.
    No. It won't happen either. I know a number of people who are serious geeks and who make a living consulting and programming, and know more than I ever will. Not one will touch IE.

Did you know there is a market for computer exploits (i.e. software vulnerabilities that hackers can use) and it's not even illegal? I've seen a list of the most valuable ones. Guess which is #1? IE.

That's not so much because it's easily hacked but because ... and this is the important part ... Internet Explorer is part of Windows Explorer. And because windows permission levels are so poorly designed, IE therefore automatically has top level permissions in the system.

Which means that if you can hack into IE, which is definitely possible, you can do whatever the hell you want on the system.

Other browsers, being just application programs that don't have administrator level privilege status, do not have this problem.

The main problem here is really the fact that windows' permission levels suck. In linux (which is what I almost always use now) all application programs are just clients of the main system. That's one of the reasons there are no known linux viruses outside computer labs. It's too hard to hack into.

Hopefully microsoft will eventually do something about this, but I don't think they have in windows 8.
    Quote Quote  
  18. @Hoser Rob

Well, I can't argue with you about that since this is beyond my knowledge level. ^_^"

But TBH, IE10 has major improvements in security. IIRC now IE10 works on low integrity level. And SmartScreen Filter also helps in this department. One factor that we need to consider is that IE has the biggest market share, so no surprise if it's the most targeted one.

I'm personally really curious about Mac and Linux security model though. Had a plan to try Linux Mint but I'm currently kind of busy and all partitions are reserved. So no dual-booting for me.

Well let's drop this now, shall we? We're just making this thread gets OT now.
    Quote Quote