VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I have 3 Mpeg 2 files I need to join together into 1 2 of them (part 1 and part3) are 352x576i and the main (part2) is 720x576, I would like to get them into 1 file without the losses of re-encoding them, with the ultimate goal of authoring them to DVD, Im not sure if this can be done with a DVD authoring software or if I'm better off doing it with just the Mpeg2 files first.
    I had a DVD that was made this way sometime ago now, and it was comprised of several segments of various resolutions 352x576 704x576 and 720x576 and when watching with VLC it played fine and in window mode it just flicked between them without a hitch, but I have no idea how this would be done.

If anymore info about the files is needed please let me know and i'll do my best to provide it>

Any help will be greatly received, thankyou in advance
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try do it directly in the authoring application. But they must be in different tracks/titles. Try dvdstyler or tmpgenc authoring works.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    So, in other words, NO they cannot be JOINED into a single track/stream/file (without re-encoding). Playlists of raw files, or separate tracks of authored files CAN be of different properties.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
  4. TS files can switch resolution mid-stream. But I don't know any application that will mux that way. Or DVD authoring application that would accept that.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I up/down sample media all the time, and so do professionals. Billboards on the highway are many times upsampled from their original size, and still look sharp. There's no hard rule that you can't re-encode something.

The "loss" you fear is mostly theoretical, not visual, if you do it properly. There should be guides here for that too. Your right to view your content in a manner you deem fit trumps the purists that can't stand to lose one pixel.

Go ahead and recode! It's very liberating.
    Last edited by budwzr; 12th Sep 2012 at 17:44.
    Quote Quote