VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Looking to rip dvd's to hard drive into mpg format on new iMac. On my pc I use AnyDVD, CloneDVD & VOB2MPG.
    I use CloneDVD to take out menu’s and create dvd files with no compression. Then use vob2mpg to create the file I want.
    What would I need to run on my mac to get the same results?

T.I.A.

Tim
    Living in a 3D world, Playing in a 3D world
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Mac the Ripper probably. But if you just want the main title ripped to your hard drive, how about using Handbrake (along with VLC's presence to provide the decryption)? If the DVD isn't encrypted you can also use MPEG Streamclip (but you'll need the MPEG2 codec from Apple). There's also another app that will rip and included the subtitles; forgot the name but I'll update this post with the name when I get home later.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The app I mentioned in my previous post is MacX DVD Ripper Pro. It has an option to embed any of the included subtitles but there doesn't seem to be an option to alter the size/font/style (which is not surprising).

BTW: You say "to create the file I want". What format do you want to create and for what purpose?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    The app I mentioned in my previous post is MacX DVD Ripper Pro. It has an option to embed any of the included subtitles but there doesn't seem to be an option to alter the size/font/style (which is not surprising).

BTW: You say "to create the file I want". What format do you want to create and for what purpose?
    Thanks for the reply! I will look into these programs.
    I want to create mpg files that I can stream to PS3 and other players in the house.

Thanks again
    Living in a 3D world, Playing in a 3D world
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    "mpg" - Do you mean "mp4"? I'm not familiar with what the PS3 requires.
    Quote Quote  
  6. I gave up on this years ago with my Macs, the SlySoft apps on Windows are much simpler and I have a lifetime upgrade license for the whole suite. I keep an old Windows XP box running just for these DVD ripping tasks, then transfer the files to my Macs when necessary. If you don't like the ripping/decryption options currently available for OSX, keep using your Windows machine for ripping or consider installing the Boot Camp utility to run Windows directly on your iMac. I think its easier to just use the separate Windows PC since you already have one, and it saves wear and tear on the slot-load DVD drive in the new iMac (which isn't really designed for frequent ripping). Handbrake is amazing but can be dead slow sometimes on either platform, the Windows AnyDVD/CloneDVD/CloneDVDmobile suite is fast and simple. I use Handbrake for more tricky conversions from oddball sources.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by orsetto View Post
    I gave up on this years ago with my Macs, the SlySoft apps on Windows are much simpler and I have a lifetime upgrade license for the whole suite. I keep an old Windows XP box running just for these DVD ripping tasks, then transfer the files to my Macs when necessary. If you don't like the ripping/decryption options currently available for OSX, keep using your Windows machine for ripping or consider installing the Boot Camp utility to run Windows directly on your iMac. I think its easier to just use the separate Windows PC since you already have one, and it saves wear and tear on the slot-load DVD drive in the new iMac (which isn't really designed for frequent ripping). Handbrake is amazing but can be dead slow sometimes on either platform, the Windows AnyDVD/CloneDVD/CloneDVDmobile suite is fast and simple. I use Handbrake for more tricky conversions from oddball sources.
    Maybe you should try again. There are a number of tools that -do- work well. I get about 75-100 fps ripping on my iMac via Handbrake. Transcoding an already ripped file (ie, AVI to H264) is much faster, about 250 fps.
    Quote Quote  
  8. The issue with Macs seems to be flaky or lagging decryption options for commercial DVDs. All I ever see recommended is MTR, but in the same breath people say the free version is dead and the more updated pay version is a mystery to obtain. I'll check the VH software page again, since you say things have changed. At this point I'm on a Mini and two MacBook Pros, none of which have optical drives I'd want to bang on for ripping anyway, but it would be handy in a pinch to have a Mac option when I'm away from my XP/AnyDVD ripping station.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The issue with Macs seems to be flaky or lagging decryption options for commercial DVDs. All I ever see recommended is MTR, but in the same breath people say the free version is dead and the more updated pay version is a mystery to obtain. I'll check the VH software page again, since you say things have changed. At this point I'm on a Mini and two MacBook Pros, none of which have optical drives I'd want to bang on for ripping anyway, but it would be handy in a pinch to have a Mac option when I'm away from my XP/AnyDVD ripping station.
    So buy a cheap external burner and use that. (I do.) Handbrake works fine (assuming you have the horsepower but that's the nature of ripping and transcoding to H264).
    Quote Quote  
  10. i hate to say this but MTR has been surpassed by other apps, i now use RipIt to rip dvd's, when i need to extract a particular scene i use YADE and then MPEG Streamclip to edit VOB files without having to re-encode..DVD2oneX2 is used to compress either the full dvd or just the main feature, dvdremaster allows you to retain the menus but also to get rid of the extras and if you really want to modify the content of a DVD at the deepest level you can check out mydvdedit...
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by rumplestiltskin View Post
    So buy a cheap external burner and use that. (I do.) Handbrake works fine (assuming you have the horsepower but that's the nature of ripping and transcoding to H264).
    I know about external drives, I recommend them to my Mac clients all the time for heavy-duty burning. And I already use Handbrake: the issue is not the ripping but the decryption (Handbrake requires external decryption). But I get your points.

Originally Posted by pixel zombie View Post
    i hate to say this but MTR has been surpassed by other apps, i now use RipIt to rip dvd's,[...]
    Thanks for the heads up, I'll look into those.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The issue with Macs seems to be flaky or lagging decryption options for commercial DVDs. All I ever see recommended is MTR, but in the same breath people say the free version is dead and the more updated pay version is a mystery to obtain.
    Not much of a mystery. You simply go to this address,
    and follow the instructions listed. The steps therein are
    to prevent casual piracy of the app; the developer deserves
    the right to eat and feed his family.
    "Everyone has to learn, so that they can one day teach."
    ------------------------------------------------------
    When I'm not here, Where can I be found?
    Urban Mac User
    Quote Quote