VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Many help files are in htm, but browsers are heavy to open,
    i need a good program capable to read html, mht ecc. with image support,

I got OfflineHtmlViewer but its quite basic, doesnt support images, doesnt open mht....

Any suggestion?
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by movmasty View Post
    browsers are heavy to open,
    Huh?

Quote Quote  
  3. That's what a browser is: a html reader. You won't get anything better which doesn't call itself a browser AND is less 'heavy'.
    Microsoft Publisher, maybe, if you want to edit something. Now that's heavy.

Edit: CHM viewers: http://blog.kowalczyk.info/articles/chm-reader-viewer-for-windows.html
    Last edited by transporterfan; 16th Jan 2015 at 11:55.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    That's what a browser is: a html reader. You won't get anything better which doesn't call itself a browser AND is less 'heavy'.
    Microsoft Publisher, maybe, if you want to edit something. Now that's heavy.

Edit: CHM viewers: http://blog.kowalczyk.info/articles/chm-reader-viewer-for-windows.html
    Not really, a Browser have to handle Videos, animations, frames, downloads, encryption, bookmarks, cronology, connections, proxies, references, passwords, transactions, addons, plugins, upgrades, editing, consoles, antimalware and so on.
    when i open a browser i have have all the tabs for previous session...
    Just open an html with few images should be simplier.

Another thing, how do i make a shortcut or bat file to open a file with a prog not associated with?
    i.e, a htm with the reader and not the browser
    Quote Quote  
  5. Unfortunately, the world, the Web and the expectations of most people (not you) are met by multimedia. HTML is dead. HTML5 was constructed purely to cope and manage with multiple media formats because it's what the majority expect these days.

To associate a file type, right click select Properties and click Opens With button (Change).
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search PM
    Not really, a Browser have to handle Videos, animations, frames, downloads, encryption, bookmarks, cronology, connections, proxies, references, passwords, transactions, addons, plugins, upgrades, editing, consoles, antimalware and so on.
    So what? Are you telling me it takes too much time for you to drag an HTML page into a modern browser? If so then clearly your hardware is completely outdated.

when i open a browser i have have all the tabs for previous session...
    Only if you set it up like that.

Just open an html with few images should be simplier.
    Just drag it into an already open browser.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Unfortunately, the world, the Web and the expectations of most people (not you) are met by multimedia.
    Unfortunately?

You would prefer text based information only?

I am increasingly stunned by some of the people I meet here on this forum.
    One wonders why they actually have electricity and running water.

Jeez!
    Quote Quote  
  8. As in unfortunate for movmasty the world doesn't use just text based information (as in basic CHM and HTML) anymore.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Well transporterfan may have been a little harsh with that statement, but I think the OP was referring to any html page. Heck, even Word or any decent word processor can open a HTML file but those programs probably use more resources than a browser.
    Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence -Carl Sagan
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    OpenOffice works great and is free. I use it to open HTML and convert to PDF. I actually do this quite a bit for downloaded Guides and such. Makes it much neater that way instead of having html document and folder.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    So what? Are you telling me it takes too much time for you to drag an HTML page into a modern browser? If so then clearly your hardware is completely outdated.
    The 'memory bug' of all browsers is a known question, it is easy that a browser after few minutes takes 2 gigs of ram,
    i want the last session to reopen where i left it, just dont want it only to read a simple htm file.
    if i want to read a small file while a video is processing, a browser, that wastes ram and maybe has 2 or 3 youtube videos tabs from last session isnt precisely a cup of tea, rather a pine in the ass,
    you dont understand this?

Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Ok, i ask for an info, that you dont know, and get a sermone about savages and cannibals....

I guess you never really used a computer.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
    OpenOffice works great and is free. I use it to open HTML and convert to PDF. I actually do this quite a bit for downloaded Guides and such. Makes it much neater that way instead of having html document and folder.
    This could be a way, thanks.

So i guess that good htm reader only dont exist.

And a typical guide or info htm is just plain text with some simple image, is not the whole world wide web
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If your browser(s) are using 2 gig of ram then there is something seriously wrong with your system.

I currently have 3 instances of a browser in memory and less than half a gig of ram used.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by movmasty View Post
    The 'memory bug' of all browsers is a known question, it is easy that a browser after few minutes takes 2 gigs of ram, i want the last session to reopen where i left it, just dont want it only to read a simple htm file.
    That is a very good point. But it gets worse depending on how you set your tabs and what media they have to load.
    It takes longer if you clear your cache on exit, for example, because it needs to read and download the entire page and media embed
    within it.

I keep a portable version of the browser (with no tabs or bookmarkmarks) just for reading and designing pages.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    The 'memory bug' of all browsers is a known question, it is easy that a browser after few minutes takes 2 gigs of ram, i want the last session to reopen where i left it, just dont want it only to read a simple htm file.
    That is a very good point. But it gets worse depending on how you set your tabs and what media they have to load.
    It takes longer if you clear your cache on exit, for example, because it needs to read and download the entire page and media embed
    within it.

I keep a portable version of the browser (with no tabs or bookmarkmarks) just for reading and designing pages.
    This could be another way, thanks.

ill try Opera portable.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by DB83 View Post
    If your browser(s) are using 2 gig of ram then there is something seriously wrong with your system.

I currently have 3 instances of a browser in memory and less than half a gig of ram used.
    README
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by DB83 View Post

README
    Ok. But I can only quote on my current situation and these three tabs have been running for 12 hours. I suppose it also depends on your browser of choice. I am 'old-school' so still prefer to use that buggy, hack-friendly, IE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here's two of the viewers I've used/tried:

Universal Viewer — Open many file types: DOCX, XLSX, PDF and more (the 'free' version)
    QtWeb - Portable Web Browser
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
  19. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by newpball View Post
    Originally Posted by transporterfan View Post
    Unfortunately, the world, the Web and the expectations of most people (not you) are met by multimedia.
    Unfortunately?

You would prefer text based information only?
    in Many MANY cases, *yes*. A "normal" book contains only text and (when necessary) some (or lots of) images.
    People have done without 'multimedia' during CENTURIES.
    And you cannot deny that most of the 'multimedia' stuff is often a waste of time and of storage space / transmission bandwidth
    (UNLESS you like to see and hear garbage, of course).

Your 'argument' is clearly fallacious, alright.
    Quote Quote  
  20. ah, books. I remember them well. Some people still read them, some are happy to look at the pictures.
    Then again, some like to color them in.

Edit: Lol. I still prefare text adventure games, like Zork, to modern shooter games. Am I on my own?
    Last edited by transporterfan; 16th Jan 2015 at 17:44.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Not at all. But you'll probably be busy being digested by a grue, while the rest of us play the games we like.

I'd like it someone tried an Infocom-style epic adventure with today's potential parser capabilities... but then, I also wonder who'd be willing to buy it, except for those of us who are text-adventure veterans.
    (Come to think of it, I wonder what the reaction to a "more descriptive" version of Zork 1-3 would be...)
    If cameras add ten pounds, why would people want to eat them?
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!