VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I recently started getting Permission Denied messages on my Win7 rig every time I added a file from my phone or linux computers. Following the help article I unlinked my account from the Win7 computer with the intention of relinking it to see if that fixed the issue. Instead, the system tray icon vanished. No matter what I tried I couldn't get it back to relink the account, even though Dropbox was still listed in task manager. So I uninstalled Dropbox and installed the latest version then restarted the PC. Still no system tray icon. I've disabled AV, Firewall, and HIPS to no avail. Any input on how to resolve this? I currently have 3.04 installed and I'm pretty sure it was 3.03 previously.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Try uninstall Dropbox and delete manually folder C:\Users\{user name}\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox
    deleting folder maybe possible only after restart
    Install Dropbox again with offline installation: https://www.dropbox.com/downloading?full=1&os=win
    Quote Quote  
  3. I'll give it a try this evening. I figured I would uninstall it with Revo this time too.
    Quote Quote  
  4. No dice. I've tried all of the above and no luck. Dropbox restarts explorer after installing and is running in the background but no system tray icon.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Okay finally fixed it. Just something stupid with the installer I guess. I had to kill the process and then run dropbox as administrator and the setup page finally opened so I could link my account. Now after restart everything is loading as it should be. I think something in the installer is failing to launch dropbox as admin for the first run and you just get nothing as a result.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    One of the first things that I did after installing Windows 7 was to install a program called "Take Ownership". I ran it on all folders and sub folders. I then went to sharing and chose share and make changes with everyone on my network. Now I have pretty much full control of Windows 7 on my PC. Any time I see a lock on any file or folder, I run "Take Ownership" and share with all computers on my network.
    Quote Quote  
  7. This issue keeps recurring. It's not a permissions issue on the computer. I have to unlink and relink the account each time and then files download fine. The Dropbox team has been completely unresponsive about it.
    Quote Quote  
  8. It might be a permissions issue after all. I'll have to check it in depth tonight. I just discovered that it syncs fine only if I launch dropbox as admin. If it just loads automatically at startup under the logged in user account it will not sync correctly. Maybe the entire dropbox folder needs a permission mod.
    Quote Quote  
  9. So set Dropbox.exe run as administrator:

Click image for larger version

Name:	01.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	29569

or you can disable Dropbox autostart and make Dropbox shortcut in startup folder
    with set shortcut advanced properties also:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	02.jpg
Views:	547
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	29570
    Quote Quote  
  10. I'm going to check the permissions on the folder tonight to make sure they match the machines at work. If that doesn't solve the issue then I may have to resort to elevating the program. I just hate having to do something like that when it shouldn't need such action to work correctly. Sometimes there is no good way to troubleshoot after a certain point though.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Still no good. Contacted support to see what they say. I'm at a loss. Trying the admin elevation to see what happens now.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Admin elevation works but prompts for elevation every startup. Something is seriously wrong with permissions and I can't figure out what. I did try an older version of Dropbox with the same issues but I got some info from the log file.

bn.BUILD_KEY: Dropbox
    bn.VERSION: 2.10.52
    bn.DROPBOXEXT_VERSION: 24
    bn.is_frozen: True
    pid: 5876
    cwd: u'C:\\Users\\poppameth\\AppData\\Roaming\\Dropbox\ \bin'
    real_path=u'C:\\Users\\poppameth\\AppData\\Roaming \\Dropbox\\bin'
    mode=040777 uid=0 gid=0
    parent mode=040777 uid=0 gid=0
    HOME: None
    appdata: u'C:\\Users\\poppameth\\AppData\\Roaming\\Dropbox\ \instance1'
    real_path=u'C:\\Users\\poppameth\\AppData\\Roaming \\Dropbox\\instance1'
    mode=040777 uid=0 gid=0
    dropbox_path: u'C:\\Users\\poppameth\\Dropbox'
    real_path=u'C:\\Users\\poppameth\\Dropbox'
    mode=040555 uid=0 gid=0
    sys_executable: 'C:\\Users\\poppameth\\AppData\\Roaming\\Dropbox\\ bin\\Dropbox.exe'
    real_path='C:\\Users\\poppameth\\AppData\\Roaming\ \Dropbox\\bin\\Dropbox.exe'
    mode=0100777 uid=0 gid=0
    trace.__file__: 'C:\\Users\\poppameth\\AppData\\Roaming\\Dropbox\\ bin\\Dropbox.exe\\dropbox\\boot_error.pyc'
    real_path='C:\\Users\\poppameth\\AppData\\Roaming\ \Dropbox\\bin\\Dropbox.exe\\dropbox\\boot_error.py c'
    not found
    parent not found
    TMP: C:\Users\POPPAM~1\AppData\Local\Temp
    TEMP: C:\Users\POPPAM~1\AppData\Local\Temp
    tempdir: u'c:\\users\\poppam~1\\appdata\\local\\temp'
    real_path=u'c:\\users\\poppam~1\\appdata\\local\\t emp'
    mode=040777 uid=0 gid=0
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 2443, in main_startup
    File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 1399, in run
    File "dropbox\client\main.pyc", line 1568, in load_config
    File "dropbox\client\databases.pyc", line 247, in load_dropbox_config
    File "contextlib.pyc", line 24, in __exit__
    File "dropbox\client\databases.pyc", line 158, in new_config_file
    WindowsError: [Error 5] Access is denied
    Quote Quote  
  13. What prompts for elevation?
    You talking about user account control prompt?:

So turn off UAC popup
    Quote Quote  
  14. So something is fragged with this user account on the PC and I've been unable to track down what or why. It's odd that Dropbox is the only program having issues. However, creating a new admin account and trying it shows Dropbox to work fine there. So I'm transferring my old account settings, with the exception of the dropbox appdata folder over to the new account. I'd just reformat and reinstall the whole mess but that's a real hassle when I plan on building a new rig later this year as soon as Win10 comes out.

Thanks for all the input.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!