VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. what are the highest quality deinterlace, resize and denoise filters in AviSynth, and where can I find documentation about them ?
    Last edited by codemaster; 15th Jun 2012 at 12:35.
    Quote Quote  
  2. deinterlace: (Q)TGMC if properly configured and content is interlaced (telecine content is not interlaced)
    resizer -> depends on what you want,.. for downsizing bicubic resize should be fine, for upscaling most people prefer something with additional sharpening
    denoiser -> depends on the sort of noise you want to remove, most people prefer motion compensated denoisers like RemoveNoiseMC, dfttestMC, MCTemporalDenoise for normal movie content,...

=> http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/External_filters
    Documentation normally comes with the filter download or is present in the source code.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    If I've done a denoise, I usually want to sharpen it a bit after, as most noise removal adds blur.

I use LSFMod which is an excellent sharpener, and has an option to resize at the same time.
    As above, see the Avisynth wiki for links and info.

Eg,
    Code:
    LSFmod(strength=150, dest_x=688, dest_y=544, defaults="fast")
    AddBorders(16,16,16,16)
    for an old TV show (PAL, 4:3).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    18June2012

DeBlock_QED has been recommended to me.
    I find SmoothD2 quite configurable and effective.
    UnBlock might be good after "denoising"
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Deinterlace: let TV do it unless you're talking about IVTC which I use TIVTC for unless it's to undo a standards conversion: Repal or Srestore depending on if it's NTSC or PAL respectively although I thought I read Srestore can do the Repal thing too. I have yet to try it for that.

Resize: I am using 16bit resizing courtesy of the Dither plugin and usually do it in linear light with nothing other than bilinear cause everything else leaves a black halo. The trick is to allow more frequency through than the default lowpass does via the fh and fv setting which I set to 1.3. Make sure to use 601 or 709 gamma curve cause it is defaulted to srgb.

Avisynth 2.5.8 resizers have faulty chroma placement that is set for mpeg1, not mpeg2. I am not sure but I don't think it matters when resizing hotizontal only.

Denoise: 16bit Dither again with Mdegrain 1 or 2. I was using 2 but am leaning more towards 1 because I am paranoid 2 is removing too much high frequency detail. I would never use Mdegrain with anything other than pel=1 and block size of 4 cause everything else blurs unless it's HD which I would experiment with block size of 8. Pel 2 and 4 means the clip is upsized, denoised then downsized and this blurs the clip. I wouldn't do any unnecessary processing like that and that goes for sharpening to which I use LSFmod for and never supersample, use routine 4 which sharpens less on the edges, I think, to prevent aliasing.

And yes Deblock_QED for deblocking if necessary. The wiki page says it only deblocks if there is blocking present. If strong deblocking is needed I guess use the deblock() plugin or gradfun3 smoothing or dfttest (these are very slow) but if it's that bad I would delete it and find a better source.
    Last edited by PAL sucks; 23rd Jun 2012 at 00:49.
    down with 4% speedup
    Quote Quote