VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I am trying to find a capture card or any product related to it. I am trying to find something that to get footage from my TV screen and I can have it uploaded to my computer. Can somebody help me out? Thanks for any responses on what I should buy.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jonathan3566
    I am trying to find a capture card or any product related to it. I am trying to find something that to get footage from my TV screen and I can have it uploaded to my computer. Can somebody help me out? Thanks for any responses on what I should buy.
    Does your TV screen have a video and audio output? If so what format is it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by edDV
    Does your TV screen have a video and audio output? If so what format is it?
    Yes, it has a video and audio output. I am not sure what format it is.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Help please?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Well, what is your budget? Expect to pay $150 for something pretty decent in a PCI card to fit inside your PC, and can record Hi definition HD video. You won't need your TV - the Computer can directly record over the air TV and basic unencrypted cable
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Well, what is your budget? Expect to pay $150 for something pretty decent and can record Hi definition HD video. You won't need your TV - the Computer can directly record over the air TV and basic unencrypted cable
    My budget is less than $100. I am wanting to record my game that I am playing and upload it on my computer.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Soopafresh
    Well, what is your budget? Expect to pay $150 for something pretty decent and can record Hi definition HD video. You won't need your TV - the Computer can directly record over the air TV and basic unencrypted cable
    My budget is less than $100. I am wanting to record my game that I am playing and upload it on my computer.
    OK a game. Most TV sets that have output connectors usually have composite + audio out and these usually don't support High definition. What you get is a composite NTSC and audio over RCA connectors. To capture composite NTSC optimally you need a capture card with good Y/C separation (e.g. a comb filter).

Capture cards come as non-encoding and encoding. Non-encoding cards need a faster computer and more tech involvement. Guides exist on this site for required software and technique.

Most prefer a capture card that encodes to DV, MPeg2 or MPeg4 on the card. A typical example is the Hauppauge PVR-250 (or the newer PVR-150 or 500) that encode to MPeg2.
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/prods.html
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/prods_pvr.html
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvrusb2.html

With this can I just connect it to my TV and record whatever is on the screen? If so, to upload it to my computer I just plug it into my USB port. Am I correct?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes it will record what comes out of the TV output to an MPeg2 file under control of WinTV 2000 software.

Before spending the money, first connect the TV output to another TV or VCR to verify the signal you want is there.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know if this will work with vista?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Do you know if this will work with vista?
    No I don't. Check with Hauppauge.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok, thanks for the help.
    Quote Quote