VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi guys,

I sometimes upload videos to Facebook which, for the most part, comply with Facebook's recommended attributes.

These videos are exported through vegas and the render settings are optimised for YouTube. I am using the AVC-MP4 codec, 1280x720, 23fps, variable bit rate.

For some reason Facebook doesn't like my videos and after conversion they don't look very good. Now I know what you're thinking... Facebook's video quality isn't very good anyway.... but the thing is, I've seen decent quality videos on Facebook so I know it's possible. Another problem is that the videos I upload always default to non-HD but other people's videos don't.

Are there any render settings I can use that are more friendly with Facebook's conversion system?

Thanks in advance.
    Quote Quote  
  2. You followed these recommendations from facebook, right?
    Also 23 is a non-standard frame rate so you may be getting blending. (23.976 is valid.) Vegas can be customized to match your source.

https://www.facebook.com/help/154271141375595/

The easiest way to optimize the quality of your videos is to upload HD video.

If you're exporting your video from editing software (ex: Final Cut Pro, Avid, iMovie) we recommend these custom settings:

H.264 video with AAC audio in MOV or MP4 format
    An aspect ratio no larger than 1280px wide and divisible by 16px
    A frame rate at, or below, 30fps
    Stereo audio with a sample rate of 44,100hz

Your software's guide should include information about exporting video with custom settings.

Keep in mind that videos must be less than 20 minutes long. The longer your video is, the larger its file size will be. This may affect the quality of the video.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Everything matches except the framerate. I might try changing that for my next upload.

I have just uploaded a 720x480 video and after conversion the line contours look absolutely horrendous. I don't understand what could be going wrong.
    Quote Quote  
  4. DECEASED
    Search Comp PM
    Facebook recompresses even our JPG files

If I were you, I would upload the videos to a filesharing service, and then post the links in the timeline.
    Quote Quote  
  5. It's something to think about, Heggunte ...but in all honesty, I'd rather have the know-how on which attribute is causing Facebook to react badly to my video files.

If others can have successful uploads, why can't I....
    Quote Quote  
  6. Anybody have any other ideas on this?

I've tried adjusting the framerate to 29. That didn't help.

There must be one attribute that's causing Facebook to do such a terrible conversion.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!