VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hi,
    I have been able to take AVCHD movies from my Panasonic DMC-ZS3 and burn to a DVD disc to play on a blue ray. However, when I use the software for the Panasonic DMC-ZR1 camera which takes Motion JPEG (720) movies and burn to a DVD disc, it will only play on my computer, not on a DVD player or my Blue Ray machine. The manuel page 86 states "burn to a DVD-R/RW. I phoned Panasonic and they said it should play on a Blue Ray. The manuel doesn't state what it will play on. Perhaps this software will not do this job. Has anybody tried to so this task?
    Thanks,
    AEBY
    Quote Quote  
  2. mjpeg isn't compatible with dvd-video or blu-ray. It has to be converted and authored

You can try multiavchd
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Poisondeathray,
    I will try this. Usually when I try to download free software, I get a virus that stops me. Is this software available to buy at a store?
    Thanks for your help. It seems that backing up videos and playing them is a problem for many people. It is not convenient, people will not bother. WIth these HD tvs, the Blue Ray seems the best way to preserve the 720p quality.
    AEBY
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aeby
    Usually when I try to download free software, I get a virus that stops me. Is this software available to buy at a store?
    Don't be worried about multiavchd. Download it from the link available on this website. I have it and have no such problems. Edit - I don't believe there is a physical retail version available.

Originally Posted by aeby
    WIth these HD tvs, the Blue Ray seems the best way to preserve the 720p
    Bluray does work well but avchd on dvdr works just fine too. Your concern will be processing time and space issues. You have to make sure it can fit a single layer or dual layer dvdr. It must be transcoded to fit if it is larger than your destination.

Also converting MAY take a long time. It depends on the speed of your computer and what you are doing to it. If you are making simple cuts and authoring as it is than it shouldn't take too long on a dual core pc. A single core pc will take a lot lot longer. Also don't do any other tasks while encoding to make sure the program can take the most processor time.
    Donatello - The Shredder? Michelangelo - Maybe all that hardware is for making coleslaw?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I believe you are confusing the two cameras and their video recording formats. The ZS3 records in HD with AVCHD Lite....and it also records in MJPEG. Only the highest video recording setting on the camera is "HD" 720P. AviDemux should easily open the MJPEG stuff from the camera....but actually you are better off leaving them as-is for storage purposes.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Hi Hech54,
    Thanks for your reply.
    My daughter's camera is the DMC-ZR1 which takes mjpeg 720p and my camera is the DMC-ZS3 which takes mjpeg and avchd-lite in 720p. The software for mine allows the avchd to be burned to a dvd and played on a blue ray. The software for the ZR1 only states on page 86 of the manual, can be written on a dvd-R/RW. It doesn't say what the burned disc can be played on. The Panasonic help site said it Could Be Played on a Blue Ray. This seems to be wrong. The only way to play the mjpeg on a hd tv is to play it on a computer and use a DHMI cord attached to the tv. This is okay but not convenient. I think the Panasonic software should allow you to crated a disc from the mjpeg that will play on a Blue Ray. Most of us don't have the knowledge to go to tghe next step of converting to another format.
    I am also confused by which format to use on my camera, avchd or mjpeg. I have read tons of info on this. II will stick with avchd as I can burn the dvd.
    Thanks again,
    AEBY
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Yea....so far if it's MJPEG....it's not HD.
    AviDemux has some presets to output to DVD (under AUTO on top of the program). Never used the AUTO settings but they should work. I usually need to output in MPEG-PS from AviDemux.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by AEBY View Post
    Hi Hech54,
    Thanks for your reply.
    My daughter's camera is the DMC-ZR1 which takes mjpeg 720p and my camera is the DMC-ZS3 which takes mjpeg and avchd-lite in 720p. The software for mine allows the avchd to be burned to a dvd and played on a blue ray. The software for the ZR1 only states on page 86 of the manual, can be written on a dvd-R/RW. It doesn't say what the burned disc can be played on. The Panasonic help site said it Could Be Played on a Blue Ray. This seems to be wrong. The only way to play the mjpeg on a hd tv is to play it on a computer and use a DHMI cord attached to the tv. This is okay but not convenient. I think the Panasonic software should allow you to crated a disc from the mjpeg that will play on a Blue Ray. Most of us don't have the knowledge to go to tghe next step of converting to another format.
    I am also confused by which format to use on my camera, avchd or mjpeg. I have read tons of info on this. II will stick with avchd as I can burn the dvd.
    Thanks again,
    AEBY
    You need to talk to Panasonic again about what their software can output (RE: DVD MPeg2 or AVCHD). Otherwise you are going to need conversion software like MultiAVCHD.

DVD is a fixed standard definition format defined here. https://www.videohelp.com/dvd

Blu-Ray players vary but most play a DVD disc. All will play a fully authored Blu-Ray disc.

Most current Blu-Ray players will also play a so called "AVCHD" file structured disc (MPeg2, h.264 or VC-1 formats). These can be burned to DVDR or BD/BE media. MultiAVCHD is good for making these discs.

Some Blu-Ray players will play a selection of file formats directly from USB flash drive or DVDR media without need to use special file structures. I'm particularly happy with the wide selection of formats my new Sony BDP-BX37 will play directly.
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote