VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. How do I get a movie with soft muxed subtitles (.srt) to play on my tv with WD TV Live? I’ve tried using MKVtools and MP4Tools and Subler and though the movies play, there are no subtitles. Btw I'm on a Mac .
    Last edited by Baldrick; 16th Jan 2014 at 07:14. Reason: New title
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Does it work if you just name the video and subtitle same like video.mp4 and video.srt?

And I updated your thread title to include WDTV Live.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Hi Baldrick,
    No it doesn't work either. The only way I can get the subtitles to show is when I have two separate files i.e. an mp4 file and an srt file.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    What container/format are you using? My first generation WDTV won't play subs in any container but MKV. If you're trying MP4 containers then I'm pretty sure that won't work.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Hi jman98,
    I'm not sure what you mean about container/format but the files are mp4s
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I do not believe the WDTV is capable of soft subs. However, if you name the srt file the same as the video and turn on subs in the WDTV, it should display them. I always embed (hard) the subs in the video as, if I need them, I need them so why bother with separate files?
    Quote Quote  
  7. Hi rumplestiltskin, I'm a bit of a newbie when it comes to subtitling. What are hard and soft subs and if I needed to embed them, would I be able to avoid re-encoding the video, i.e. to use a software with pass through options for the muxing? Can I ask what software you are using for hard embedding?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Hardcoding is making your subtitles part of the video ie you'll have to re-encode and the subtitles can't be turned on and off.
    Softcoded subtitles are a separate entity from the video that may be turned on and off.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I use MP4Tools most of the time. Submerge is also a great app. Handbrake is nice to have as a backup tool. Another app with which I've been impressed is Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate; it's been able to handle some oddball source encodings that the others can't.

videobruger is right; you can't "pass-through" the video if you want to embed subtitles. However, I find that MP4Tools does such a good job with the re-encoding that I don't lose any perceptible real-world quality. (There are some who will argue that any loss is too much. I don't worry about how many angels can dance on the head of a pin. *grin*)
    Quote Quote  
  10. Just stupid question maybe, but nevertheless, have you manually set subtitles on with your remote ?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Hi _Al_, yes I have.
    Quote Quote  
  12. So they are in the menu but you cannot play them? It is a firmware screw up then.

So movie.mp4 and movie.srt works and Movie.mkv with subtitles in it doesn't? Assuming that that movie.mkv plays ok, it is a firmware problem for your particular box (there is many WDTV Live versions), or something goes awry using mkvmerge MAC' version. That you can easily rule out doing test on PC.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Should I update to the latest firmware if it is different from mine (WD TV Live)?
    Quote Quote  
  14. with WDTV Live it always was a lottery, something gets fixed with following firmware, something gets broken again after upgrade, but overall, so slightly, latest firmware should be better than early firmwares..... good luck
    Quote Quote  
  15. I did an uninstall of mp4tools and mkvtools and reinstalled them. The mkvtools now seems to be able to mux my .mp4 and .srt files and have them playable on my tv. The mp4tools still have the same problem.
    Quote Quote