VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Forgive me if this is listed someplace on the site. I did my best to search for what I am looking for.
    Converting HD (1920x1080) material to MKV keeping it either 1080 or 720

First off. Is there a chart or maybe someone can just write them down here, that tells you "crop numbers" for specific aspect ratios ?
    What would you crop 1:85.1 and 2:35.1 to remove the letterbox lines when dealing with 1080

Second. Does it even matter ? Are those black lines even taking up that much in the end result ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    try vidcoder. it has a cropping function and a preview to see how it looks. letterboxed or cropped is up to you, but most prefer mkv cropped.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. 1.85:1 video in a 1920x1080 frame: Crop a total of 42 lines off the top and bottom
    2.35:1 video in a 1920x1080 frame: Crop a total of 263 lines off the top and bottom

But it's best to leave your height an integer multiple of 16, or at least 8. So leaving 1920x1040 or 1920x816 is better.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Should have mentioned that I use Handbrake for encoding.

Thanks or the numbers.
    As to my second question though. Does that extra info in the black bars have any significant outcome if left uncropped ?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by NotSoEasy View Post
    Does that extra info in the black bars have any significant outcome if left uncropped ?
    If it's noiseless black bars it will consume very very little bitrate. It this was something like a VHS recording, with lots of noise in the black bars, it would consume a more significant amount of bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  6. That's why I've never bothered with cropping when I make an MKV. And it's still a compliant resolution if I were to for some reason want to run it through tsMuxer to make a Blu-ray or AVCHD from one.

So the majority do crop then? I just don't see the point when it's such an insignificant amount of space saved.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    So what about dealing with "bugs" in that area ? Much bitrate in that case ?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    So the majority do crop then? I just don't see the point when it's such an insignificant amount of space saved.
    There are times when it makes sense to crop. For example, when you have a ~16:9 movie letterboxed on a 4:3 DVD. When you watch that video on a 16:9 TV you end up with a small picture surrounded by letterbox and pillarbox bars. If you crop away the black borders you won't have that problem.
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by NotSoEasy View Post
    So what about dealing with "bugs" in that area ? Much bitrate in that case ?
    It depends on how much noise is in those black borders. If there's a lot of noise it will eat a lot of bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
  10. I should have been more specific. I was talking about MKVs made from Blu-Ray. I confess I don't watch DVDs much any more. Although when an old favorite is released on Blu-Ray, I buy it.

Yeah, the postage stamp thing, like on some early DVD releases, for example Home Alone. DVDRB could easily take care of that, if you wanted to output as DVD-Video.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  11. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    I should have been more specific. I was talking about MKVs made from Blu-Ray.
    You may run into the same problem with Blu-ray rips in the future. What if 21:9 TVs become the norm? All your 2.35:1 Blu-ray rips will play with both letterbox and pillarbox bars if you don't remove the black borders.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I guess then in some cases it would want to be done but in most cases when all you have are black bars.
    Best to just leave them be as they do no harm on output.
    Quote Quote