VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Compusa had been stocking verbatim #95098 dvd+r 100 pk, purple labeled with azo on it infrequently, and I would try to buy them if they had them in.

They now stock a 100 pk, non spindled, verbatim #96526, dvd+r 100 pk, PURPLE LABEL with NO "AZO" on it in place of the #95098 instead.

The media code block comes up CMC MAG-M01

I thought something was funny, because it looked like the usual purple label, but no azo on it... I should have known, but they also had 100 pk spindles of the value and life series there, and I thought they wouldn't cheapen even the purple labeled packs by going cmc also, but I guess I was wrong.

I guess I better start stock piling from other online sources, if verbatim has finally decided to do away with the azo completely. Anybody else know more information or anything different?
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    I just bought a 50 pack of Verbatim yesterday for €8....the cake box was damaged....they are MCC.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    I only buy Verbatim online any more. I buy their DataLifePlus series which in my opinion is their highest quality line of discs. Verbatim's website says that these still use AZO dye. I know that MCC still makes those.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by xctrekker View Post
    [...]I thought they wouldn't cheapen even the purple labeled packs by going cmc also, but I guess I was wrong.
    You, and thousands of others who bought into that line of transparent BS Verbatim handed out in 2007 that "even though they relinquished production of all their 16x discs to that cut-rate crap factory CMC, MCC staff would be supervising production and nothing would change." Uh-huh: I've also got the Three Stooges here on hold, they'd like to talk to us about buying the Brooklyn Bridge- any takers?

MCC supervision means absolutely jack: commodity-priced retail 16x Verbatim AZO went wonky within weeks of the CMC takeover (especially in Europe where complaints about the +R/-R skyrocketed almost immediately and never abated). By 2009, about all the "AZO" label on the purple package guaranteed was that CMC bothered to change the media ID code to read MCC. Every other aspect of the discs was a roll of the dice. A year or two ago Verbatim/CMC gave up all pretense to being the last "high quality" brand and began selling plain old CMC-MAG in Verbatim guise, first as white "Life Series" packaging with no AZO branding and now in the purple AZO packaging without the AZO branding. The transition to pure CMC bargain-basement media, at least in retail stores, is now complete: like TDK before it, Verbatim is no more.

I guess I better start stock piling from other online sources, if verbatim has finally decided to do away with the azo completely. Anybody else know more information or anything different?
    The 8x and 16x "DataLifePlus" "pro" line is still available as the old AZO formula. The 16x DLP-AZO is sold online in either the old purple AZO-branded package or in a generic-looking cakebox with clear shrinkwrap and a simple white label with the SKU number. The 8x DataLifePlus AZO is usually only available in the generic clear package with the white label. If you're at all concerned about being sure you get the "real deal AZO," opt for the 8x instead of 16x. Verbatim has all but ceded the 16x market to bargain hunters who don't care about AZO or consistent quality, but the 8x AZO is still made to the old MCC specs for the semi-pro user. How long that will last is anyone's guess: now that JVC has contaminated TY and caused very spotty QC, there is no sure-fire-perfect media brand. Stock up while you can.
    Last edited by orsetto; 13th Apr 2012 at 17:06.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    even datalifeplus isn't safe any more. i got stuck with some 8x that came labeled correctly but had "made in china" in small print??? the correct mid for mcc but wasn't very good.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get the verbatim DVD +R 16x Model #:95098, Newegg and Amazon carry these and according to Imgburn they are still MCC-004.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    even datalifeplus isn't safe any more. i got stuck with some 8x that came labeled correctly but had "made in china" in small print??? the correct mid for mcc but wasn't very good.
    NEVER seen that. And I buy DataLifePlus discs all the time. Maybe your seller is sketchy. I only buy this media from Rima.

By the way, putting question marks at the end of your sentence above is completely wrong as it is not a question, but if you want to join the ranks of trendy dumbasses who think it's both cool and correct to do this, that's your decision I guess. But it means that I can't take your post seriously. I swear in 10 years tops in the English speaking world it's going to be completely correct to write this sentence:

I was scared when I saw my neighbor's giant dog.

as this:

i wz skrd wen i sow mi nayborz jint dag?
    Quote Quote  
  8. Well Amazon doesn't seem to have DVD +R 16x Model #:95098 anymore. It will come up in a search but when clicked it changes to 97459.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    NEVER seen that. And I buy DataLifePlus discs all the time. Maybe your seller is sketchy. I only buy this media from Rima.

By the way, putting question marks at the end of your sentence above is completely wrong as it is not a question, but if you want to join the ranks of trendy dumbasses who think it's both cool and correct to do this, that's your decision I guess. But it means that I can't take your post seriously. I swear in 10 years tops in the English speaking world it's going to be completely correct to write this sentence:

I was scared when I saw my neighbor's giant dog.

as this:

i wz skrd wen i sow mi nayborz jint dag?
    hehe - just like we don't speak the same english as shakespeare anymore, our descendants will have a hard time with our current version of "english". things evolve. and it was a question of sorts, asking if anyone else had come across "mic" datalifeplus.

the seller was meritline who's as usually dependable as rima.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by TreeTops View Post
    Well Amazon doesn't seem to have DVD +R 16x Model #:95098 anymore. It will come up in a search but when clicked it changes to 97459.
    Guess its a good thing i purchased 4 pks from newegg.
    Murphy's law taught me everything I know.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Are DVD -R disks similarly affected?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    [QUOTE=orsetto;2154707]
    Originally Posted by xctrekker View Post
    The 8x and 16x "DataLifePlus" "pro" line is still available as the old AZO formula. The 16x DLP-AZO is sold online in either the old purple AZO-branded package or in a generic-looking cakebox with clear shrinkwrap and a simple white label with the SKU number. The 8x DataLifePlus AZO is usually only available in the generic clear package with the white label. If you're at all concerned about being sure you get the "real deal AZO," opt for the 8x instead of 16x. Verbatim has all but ceded the 16x market to bargain hunters who don't care about AZO or consistent quality, but the 8x AZO is still made to the old MCC specs for the semi-pro user. How long that will last is anyone's guess: now that JVC has contaminated TY and caused very spotty QC, there is no sure-fire-perfect media brand. Stock up while you can.
    Sorry, but I recently bought a clear wrap white label white printable 50-pack spindle of DataLifePlus 8X DVD-R (UPC 0 23942 94971 8, P/N 94971, Media Code MCC 02RG20, Made in Taiwan), and they are poor quality, with 4 coasters thus far out of less than 30 burns with a Panasonic UJ-890AS (known to work great) due to verify errors near the end of the disc.

Originally Posted by CSULB71 View Post
    Are DVD -R disks similarly affected?
    Yes!
    Quote Quote