Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Bulldog57 View Post
    hi help please this old man

i have some videos that a friend gave me back in 1995

of a old tv show that was filmed in queensland, australia

timetrax thay are in .avi format that need to be clean up a bit
    Your 1995 time frame might be a bit off. Either that, or something has happened to the original videos since 1995. In 1995 the video content available on the internet was in its infancy -- in any event, mpeg4 video with h.264 compression were not available in 1995.

If they were originally recorded to VHS, then half of the original interlaced video information from those recordings has been removed by deinterlacing and saving in seriously lossy HD compression at half-image size. The original interlaced TV broadcast might have been interlaced 640x480 at 4:3 broadcast ratio, but the video is non-interlaced 352x240 at 2:3 aspect ratio. The audio is 44.1 KHz variable bitrate, which will be a problem in VirtualDub. Even after cleanup (which won't get very far after video has been mutilated to this extent), the best you can get is small frame playback for PC only.

sys info

Microsoft Windows XP Professional
    S Pack 3 Build 2600 x86
    cpu Core2Duo E8400 3 gig
    ram 2 gig
    video card NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GT
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    PIONEER DVD-RW DVR-111D
    hard drives 160 gig + 1 gig
    Your PC should be fine, but the 160-GB is going to get filled very quickly. I don't understand the "+ 1 gig" drive size. Is that a mis-type?
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 09:26.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sanlyn

sorry i have 2 harddrives 1st is 160 gb the 2hd is 1tb and i got a 2tb coming this week

and i put roung date i got videos it was about 2009 sorry man

if it can be done with 3 scripts good

if you think its not worth doing it ok

thanks for reply
    Last edited by Bulldog57; 29th Apr 2012 at 07:31.
    Bulldog57
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, I figured you probably meant 1-tb instead of 1gig.

The best you can do here with these videos is to remove some grain and noise with TemporalDegrain at default values. This is an .avs function, not a .dll plugin, but it requires a number of dependent plugins and functions that might not be worth the trouble of learning and downloading. Simple smoothers or plain-vanilla spatial filters will do little for you here. The main download page that lists requirements is here: http://avisynth.org/mediawiki/Temporal_Degrain

Also, the video appears to have been cropped to get a wide-screen image. That's a no-no, and is not the way it's done, not even for low-bitrate MPEG1/MPG4. The audio is non-standard as well, so there might be sync problems with extended playback times. So you are sort of stuck with small frame playback for PC-only; there is not enough bitrate here for resizing or full screen display, which will simply make the video look worse.
    Last edited by sanlyn; 22nd Mar 2014 at 09:26.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Since i can see noise patterns i say neat video will be your best friend for the next few days.
    I just tried it, if you filter more on the high freqs (where noise is more apparent on the vid1 sample) and none or very low for the mid /low freqs, that should do it.

TheMaster1
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ok will give neat video a try see how we go cheers for all the help from sanlyn and TheMaster1
    Bulldog57
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Is this it? http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0106154/

and if it is then maybe this is the solution

http://www.dvdbye.com/product_info.php?products_id=37

TIME TRAX - THE COMPLETE TV SERIES ON DVD
    Limited Edition DVD Box Set
    Every Memorable Episode in One Huge Collection - Lowest Price Online Guaranteed

Darien Lambert, Captain of the Fugitive Retrieval Section in the 22nd century, time-travels to the 20th century to capture 22nd century criminals who have escaped by time-traveling. He is armed with a PPT, a 3-button weapon that can render a man unconscious or send a man to the 22nd century. He has a computer named Selma, disguised as a credit card. Selma helps him to capture the fugitives, for she has access to various databases, and can make logical conclusions. She has also many other functions. The main criminal is Mo Sahmbi, who invented the time machine (TRAX) and helped the criminals to get away. Lambert cannot go to the 22nd century until he has captured all the fugitives.

What an amazing DVD Set for the Time Trax Fan!

All 44 Uncut Episodes - 2 Seasons on 11 DVDS

Excellent video and audio quality
    100% in chronological order
    Commercial free and unedited
    This box set contains all 11 DVDs with Custom Artwork.
    These DVDs are region free so they will play on any DVD player Worldwide and DVD-Rom, X-Box or PS2 worldwide.

These are brand new, in stock and ready to ship. On Sale for a Limited Time only.
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    netmask56

my mate got a set of dvd from them in 2011 he said there vhsrips put on dvd cheers
    Bulldog57
    Quote Quote  
  9. Originally Posted by Bulldog57 View Post
    my mate got a set of dvd from them in 2011 he said there vhsrips put on dvd cheers
    Still way better than what you have.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    neat video is working and im geting back ups of his DVDs cheers
    Bulldog57
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Still way better than what you have.
    Not necessarily - it could be the source for what he has. 352x240 is a VCD resolution, so legal on DVD too - though a strange choice for a PAL series (usually 352x288). But look at the tiny screen cap on that page - even at 188x131 you can see horrible VHS artefacts!

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    Not necessarily - it could be the source for what he has. 352x240 is a VCD resolution, so legal on DVD too - though a strange choice for a PAL series (usually 352x288). But look at the tiny screen cap on that page - even at 188x131 you can see horrible VHS artefacts!
    Although stranger things have happened, I suppose, I myself have yet to see a retail DVD at VCD resolution. So I was going by the resolution, yes, but also by the fact that what he has has already been deinterlaced. Maybe that was done to the retail DVDs as well. My suggestion is that the OP go get them from his 'mate'. At least then they won't have been further degraded by having been reencoded to h.264 video at too low of a bitrate.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Take a close look at the website though. This isn't a proper retail DVD IMO. But yes, hopefully it's full res - or at least half res, rather than VCD!

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote