VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,
    I'm diving into Blu-Ray ripping for the first time after years of DVD ripping. Is there any list of the best multi-region BD internal drives for ripping my Blu-Ray discs onto blank media? Or drives that have hacks like the old Pioneer internals had?
    If there is a link I could read, I'd appreciate it. Can't seem to find any consistent info on this. Lots of varying opinions.
    Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You don't need any hack. Just get AnyDVDHD and it will remove the region codes and also rip.
    Quote Quote  
  3. So it doesn't matter at all what brand of internal writer/reader I buy? This software will rip any BluRay and write to a blank blu-ray disc? I just figured like with DVDs, a certain brand was better than others and that IMGBurn might be able to do it.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by tpapictures View Post
    So it doesn't matter at all what brand of internal writer/reader I buy? This software will rip any BluRay and write to a blank blu-ray disc? I just figured like with DVDs, a certain brand was better than others and that IMGBurn might be able to do it.
    ImgBurn is still the best software burning application available today...but ImgBurn was never a ripper/decryypter. And the testing of blank Blu Ray media is no way as extensive as blank DVD media testing was.
    Quote Quote  
  5. You need a Blu-Ray decrypter if you want to rip to hard drive, and region will be irrelevant.

AnyDVDHD, as already suggested to you, or DVDFabPasskey are driver-level decrypters, which remove the encryption on the fly. This means you can run them in the background and other programs can access a disc directly without ripping first. Or you can of course copy (rip) to hard drive. DVDFab is another one, but not driver-level, you must rip to hard drive first regardless. Fab has a free version, the difference is that it is not updated at the same time as the payware version, so it may not be able to rip a disc with newer protections as soon as the pay version.

As to Blu-ray writers, the LG Blu-Ray burners are well-thought-of, both here and at MyCE, where they specialize in that sort of subject. I have one myself. Many people have commented that they have done lots of burns without a coaster and that the burner is not picky as to brand of disc used. That is true in my experience.

But we don't have enough data yet to do any more than relate anecdotal evidence. So hech54 is absolutely right.

Good luck.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Lite-On 112-04 with Verbatim (not Lth) media...can't go wrong....all my scans of this media with this
    burner have been fantastic

I've scanned quite a few BR's with this drive but have been too lazy to post em in here
    Quote Quote  
  7. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post

As to Blu-ray writers, the LG Blu-Ray burners are well-thought-of, both here and at MyCE, where they specialize in that sort of subject. I have one myself. Many people have commented that they have done lots of burns without a coaster and that the burner is not picky as to brand of disc used. That is true in my experience.

I am somewhat less enthused about LG's BD burners. They are not terrible, but what really pisses me off is two things.
    1) They can't recognize JVC's current Taiyo Yuden branded LTH BD-R discs at all. I have no choice but to burn these with my other BD burner, a Pioneer.
    2) LG doesn't make it easy to get firmware updates, should you need or want one.

In general I repsect MyCE, but I'm not prepared to go so far as to say that they are 100% correct 100% of the time.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Thanks guys. Gonna look into all this. Really appreciate it.
    Moontrash, I thought the Lite-On 112-04 couldn't write to BD?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    They can...you have to look close at the model itself...there are 112-04 models for both readers and burners

Here's the burner I have.

look close and you'll see a HES model and HBS model...the HBS model is the burner
    Quote Quote  
  10. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    Lite-On 112-04 with Verbatim (not Lth) media...can't go wrong....all my scans of this media with this
    burner have been fantastic
    You and jman98 have both stated that, jman98 more than a few times that i can recall.

I have burned 50+ Verbatim LTH disc's and they have all worked perfectly on both of my LG Bluray standalones.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817130187

And i have burned 25 of these, Optical Quantum 25GB 4X BD-R,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817607025
    And they all scanned and played perfectly fine.

I am burning with an LG burner,
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136239

But those are the only two brands/types of media i have tried so far with it.
    Newegg had a killer sale on them one day a while back and it came with a free Verbatim BD-RE and it was my first BD-R burner so i just had to take the plunge and get it.
    LOL!!

I have had ZERO issues with both brands so far and i plan on buying more Verbatim LTH media.
    They have had 20 packs on sale for under $20.00 with free shipping quite a few times, I am on my 3rd 20 pack at the moment.

I guess only time will tell but so far i have seen or had any issues with the LTH Verbatims.
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search Comp PM
    There are too many negative reviews about LTH media online that far outweigh the benefits of trying them. I stick with the best...and verbatim non-lth are just that

I have some optical quantums...i just havent tried em yet...i got a 25 pack for $8 as a promo with the burner when i got it
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    There are too many negative reviews about LTH media online that far outweigh the benefits of trying them.
    Reviews by who ?
    Where ?

Because as most can attest to here, most people leaving online reviews are total idiots when it comes to anything above popping a VHS tape into a VCR and hitting play....
    LOL!!

I stick with the best...and verbatim non-lth are just that
    Who say's ?
    The same people who left bad reviews about LTH ?
    Most people have no clue beyond, i have a burner, why won't a DVDR work when i put it in my drive ?
    Oh, a cd drive won't work for a DVDR ?
    But it fits and they are the same size!!

You know what i mean, most people are generally clueless beyond that.
    And there are SOOOO many variables that come into play.....
    Not to mention the error's that are between the keyboard and PC chair

I have some optical quantums...i just havent tried em yet...i got a 25 pack for $8 as a promo with the burner when i got it
    I have seen a couple of good reviews about optical quantum's here, and that was AFTER i bought some.
    I just bought them because they were super cheap and onsale at newegg and i only used them for backups that i can easily redo, i wanted to test them, and the 25 i burned have all played & scanned fine.

About the LTH Verbatim's, all i can say is the ONLY BD-R media i have burned so far is the Verbatim LTH & Quantums.
    50+ Verbatims and they all played and scanned perfectly!!
    25 Quantum's.

Like i said, I have had ZERO issues with both of them.
    But maybe a year down the line they may produce problems.

As of now, i have not had any issues.......
    And they have ALL played back fine on my PC and my standalone LG Bluray players on my 46" LED and 27" LED.

I am fairly new to Bluray, although not to backing up any form or format of media or burners or etc.
    Quote Quote  
  13. Another question guys... so these discs I burn will be readable by my PS3 for example? Or am I going to have to get a hacked Blur-Ray payer that can read burned discs?
    Quote Quote  
  14. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Noahtuck...so people online that post reviews don't know what they're doing/saying? Take a look at the left hand side of the page and click on dvd media and search through the myriad of posts and comments...good and bad...about all kinds of certain media. Go to CdFreaks and see the PIF error scans of the same...thousands of people dedicate their time to scanning this media so others online can make a informed decision on what media works best. Add any up against the LTH type and it's not even close. Search in here and see the same...it's not even close. I never said a bad thing about Optical Quantum, I just haven't used em yet. I stick with what works best...and this "regular" verbatim media....has done just that so far. I've scanned (for quality) and played oodles of these discs in my time, I know what brands/types work best.

discs for PS3 have to be in certain format to be read if i'm not mistaken. Ripped to a certain codec etc.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    so people online that post reviews don't know what they're doing/saying?
    Most, yeah!!!

What do you consider "oodles" ?
    And "in your time" can't be that long as BD-R media has not been around that long, not like DVDR media!!

And I have been burning & converting video since before DVDR's existed....
    So what....

Maybe it will be like cheaper dvdr media, maybe in a year or two they will take a dump, i don't know.

All i am saying is, I have burned over 50 Verbatim LTH BD-R's and every single one has played/worked perfectly.
    On my PC and my 2 standalone players.

And the few random ones i have scanned, scanned perfectly fine.

But then again, we could get into the whole "scanning is a waste of time" argument".....
    What type of drive did you scan on, which drive is better for scanning, blah blah blah....
    Been through that whole debate, on here, a 1000 times years ago with DVDR media...
    LOL!!!
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 16th Mar 2012 at 23:15.
    Quote Quote  
  16. But even just to burn movies for the PS3? I can see that games would require some special tweaking but isn't it also just a regular BluRay player as well?

ugh... am I gonna need another player now?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Very interesting thread.....not into Bluray burning yet.....
    Quote Quote  
  18. Just wanted to ask again to get this clear... burning my movies to watch on blank discs on my PS3 is going to require a special codec?
    Can all Blu-Ray players read back-up discs?
    Quote Quote  
  19. So which Pioneer would you guys recommend?
    Quote Quote  
  20. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by tinpanalley View Post
    So which Pioneer would you guys recommend?
    I don't have a Blu-Ray burner yet, but I have been thinking about this new one http://www.meritline.com/pioneer-blu-ray-burner-bdr-207---p-57361.aspx
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Get one with included software. Although often old versions, software is usually available for a mere $5-$10 more. This way, you can double-check the menu structure and play them on a modern computer.

It probably depends on what you're doing. I'm selling them with my own data on them so they must be perfecto.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Hey everyone. Thanks again for all the help.
    I got a LiteOn iHBS112-29 and a pack of Verbatim Single Layer non-LTH BD-R
    Hopefully this will give me everything I need:
    - primarily backing up audio/video data from my harrdrive
    - ripping and burning discs for future Blu-Ray players (and maybe my PS3 if there's ever a solution)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    "future" might be an important word in this sentence.

Lets give a feedback how things went.
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
  24. Well, what I meant was future players that I'll eventually own.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Hey all,
    Got my LiteOn iHBS112 in the mail yesterday. Would have been 2 days sooner but Amazon decided they didn't have any left of the one I ordered in their discount warehouse so they sent me an empty box with bubble wrap instead so I complained, got a complimentary credit on top of my refund and went to newegg where I should have gone in the first place. Ugh... anyway.

So, my question now is, should I continue to use the same software I have been for burning or are there some other programs people prefer for blu-ray? I use Nero for data burning, DVD Decrypter and Imgburn for ISOs. I guess I'll need something new for ISOs?

Finally, as far as I know there's no problem reading discs from other regions with this drive and burning them to watch on my computer, but is there a set of instructions for how best to do this?

Thanks!
    Quote Quote  
  26. Originally Posted by tinpanalley View Post
    I use Nero for data burning, DVD Decrypter and Imgburn for ISOs. I guess I'll need something new for ISOs?

Finally, as far as I know there's no problem reading discs from other regions with this drive and burning them to watch on my computer, but is there a set of instructions for how best to do this?

Thanks!
    1) No. ImgBurn.

2) If you mean read direct from disc, a driver-level decrypter is what you want, like AnyDVDHD or DVDFabPasskey. Or copy to hard drive with either of the above, also DVDFab (not driver-level). Region coding will be removed. Then use whatever to re-encode/repackage if that's what you want to do.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  27. Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Then use whatever to re-encode/repackage if that's what you want to do.
    Yeah, well that's what I mean, if I wanted to put it back on a disc, is the process different from just burning an ISO with Imgburn?
    Quote Quote