VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Just looking to see if I can get some ideas on how to hardcode subs on avi & mp4 files ? Any videos I play go via my network drive and I watch them via the xbox so mkv format is not supported. My partner is Dutch and although her English is great I'm looking to hardcode subs onto the movies so she can watch along as well with no problems. The issues I'm having however it seems to take an age to add subs to any file, I plan on doing alot of video files and just looking for a quick and easy way to do it (if possible) So far the fastest method I've found is using, Freemake Video converter however the sub quality was really bad. I'm looking to keep the same quality of video as the original source and just embed the subs into the file. I'm using AVI Recomp at present to see how that is but again it does seem to take around 40mins or so for 55min file. Not really done much with video editing etc so I dunno if I'm just being impatient or there is quicker ways to get the job done ?
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    You could try xvid4psp.

And for faster encoding try use one pass encoding (instead of two pass) or one pass constant quality encoding. In both avirecomp and xvid4psp.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the quick response. I'm having trouble seeing a one pass option in avirecomp, is it turbo mode or do I change the priority to high and that should complete the task faster ?
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I guess you can't select it then. I can't find any such settings either.

But try with turbo mode and increased priority.

Or use xvid4psp 5 (not 6), load your video, load the subs, use the avi hardware preset, under the video tab click on the configure to and change to one pass encoding. Convert.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Can anyone please help me trouble shoot with hard coding subtitles? I want to do it via FreeMake Video Converter. I understand how absolutely simple this is with simple add video, click subtitle, and hit convert as can be seen here ( https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v_34x8uNZCU ).

What my issue is, is that doesn't work for me. I used DivX to test out the subtitles and know they work fine because I played the video and added the SRT file and perfect. That's not my issue though. I want to hard code the subtitles so that I can watch them on my Roku 3.

When I add the video and srt file to FreeMake Video Converter I get nothing. I can't figure out what I'm doing wrong and I've been playing with it for a while now. Someone please help me.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Ripbot can hard code *.srt subtitles.

You realize this means a full re-encode, yes? It may take a while on an "old crummy laptop".

1) Load the video in Ripbot. Adjust only what is listed below.
    2) Click "Properties" and select Permanent Subtitles -> Build in Subtitles. Select your *.srt. OK. Preview.
    3) For audio, you can copy stream (you didn't say what the audio is), or re-encode the audio as well from one of the options.
    4) I suggest you output as MKV and encode using CQ crf 20 (constant quality one-pass). Fastest encoding would be to change the Profile -> x264 preset to Ultrafast. Unless you're going to be using something more powerful than your laptop.

If you want to change any (default) Ripbot options like temp file location or various default settings, go into the config file (in the Ripbot folder) and make your changes.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by fritzi93 View Post
    Ripbot can hard code *.srt subtitles.

You realize this means a full re-encode, yes? It may take a while on an "old crummy laptop".

1) Load the video in Ripbot. Adjust only what is listed below.
    2) Click "Properties" and select Permanent Subtitles -> Build in Subtitles. Select your *.srt. OK. Preview.
    3) For audio, you can copy stream (you didn't say what the audio is), or re-encode the audio as well from one of the options.
    4) I suggest you output as MKV and encode using CQ crf 20 (constant quality one-pass). Fastest encoding would be to change the Profile -> x264 preset to Ultrafast. Unless you're going to be using something more powerful than your laptop.

If you want to change any (default) Ripbot options like temp file location or various default settings, go into the config file (in the Ripbot folder) and make your changes.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
    Thanks very much for the welcome and your help responding. Good call out on the laptop. About 1 hour after posting this and Googling until my eyes hurt I found the simplest, easiest solution that I had no idea of...

Your SRT file and Video file need to be named the same thing for the hard coding to work. I had no idea this was a rule, I never found it posted or written anywhere, but there it is. Once I did something as absolutely stupid as renamed my SRT files to match my video files it works perfectly on 2 attempts now.
    Quote Quote  
  8. That must be a peculiarity of what software you're using. Ripbot doesn't care what your subs are named.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote