VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I have been using AVC (Any Video Converter) to convert movies for play in an old Panasonic DVD player with a USB port. The USB will accept shows encoded with Xvid +mp3 file formats and play them as a movie.

The Volume Control settings has something called Normalize. I thought checking this box would stop the doubling of the volume on the TV when something dramatic happens. It has not stopped it.

Is there anyway to control this. It doesn't do this when I watch TV shows through cable. It might get a little louder occasionally but nothing like this. The volume easily doubles.

Attached is a snippet of my Volume Control options. If there is a way to stop this I would very much like to know.

This last bit is mostly for Novice users like me

AVC is the easiest and fastest converter I have tried so far. I have also used FreeMake and HandBrake. Both of which are good converters but AVC is more simple to use and I especially can't believe how much faster it converts the files. Way faster.
    (the product is free,I think you can donate, which I probably will. Also I don't work for them)
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Volume Control Settings AVC.PNG
Views:	352
Size:	17.1 KB
ID:	36621  

Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search PM
    Volume normalization changes the overall gain of the audio track. What you're describing is called dynamic range compression. I'm not sure if there is an easy-to-use converter that has this feature, but that's what you're looking for.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Many media players, TVs, and AV receivers have a "night" or "quite" mode that does DRC on the fly. So you may not need to change the file -- and doing so isn't advised (why ruin a good audio track?). There are also dialog boosters that boost the center channel -- where the dialog is. But if you really want to apply DRC and reencode you can do it with Audacity (the "Compressor" filter) and the ffmpeg source plugin. You'll have to use a separate muxer to mix the new audio file with the old video.
    Last edited by jagabo; 17th Apr 2016 at 21:54.
    Quote Quote  
  4. OK, thanks to everyone.

I will see if my TV has a "night or quiet" mode. Also, thanks for the tips on dialogue. I have the German War Files, a series of videos covering WWII German arms. The British must have got a hold of them and used them as training films for their troops or something because the audio is horrible. It has the original German music in the background while a British (maybe American) guy is talking. Maybe I can get rid of the music and boost the voice so I can hear what they are saying better. Right now it is pretty bad. Sounds like I need to read up on dialogue boosters.

Thanks again
    Quote Quote  
  5. Boosting the dialog generally only works if there is a separate center channel. If the audio is mono or stereo you can't really boost the dialog.
    Quote Quote  
  6. This German War Files are pretty rare in the WWII documentary community. I downloaded them in .avi format. Anyway, I clicked on the file, went to properties, then Details and found this under Audio
    Channel 2(stereo)
    Audio sample rate 48kHz
    Bit rate 192 kbps

2 channels so I guess there is no way to work with this file. Can it be re-encoded, or is it lost unless I am someone with expensive equipment and talented technicians. I am not either of those, but I wonder if I uploaded it to MVGroup (a documentary torrent site) if someone else might be able to.
    The footage is rare and I have 19 of the 1 hour programs. I was hoping to find out some simple fix that I could do but maybe my best bet is to share it and hope someone smarter, who likes WWII, and has free time on their hands will fix it.

You can hear the talking but you need to strain to hear it through the background noise. The Germans put it to symphony music and they used the sounds of the machines too at different parts. It is very educational for the historian. So a grad student working on a WWII thesis would benefit or just your run of the mill WWII enthusiast like me. No one else would really care about this video footage.
    Quote Quote  
  7. You can upload a 10 second sample here. A sample that's representative of the problem Someone will take a look at it. Or, if there's a youtube version give a link.
    Quote Quote