VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Windows Media Center seams to have switch Electonic Program Guide data provider (Rovi)

searching the web seams that A LOT of people have problems with the switch

I can't update my program guide data and WMC reseting doesn't seams to do it for me .

reading a few forums post telling me that it is easier to do in the USA (zip code thing) than in canada (quebec) , i can't validate that ..

What can i do ? i'm under vista
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. I had a problem as well after MS made the switch to Rovi. I had to re-run WMC set-up in order to get the guide download working again. Sorry to hear of your troubles. WMC has always been more difficult to set up north of the border. I didn't find very much that might be helpful to you other than this: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/31-home-theatre-personal-computer-htpc-media-extenders...uide-data.html

If you can't get WMC working, have you considered other options? I'm trying NextPVR with a Schedules Direct subscription for guide service as a WMC alternative in case MS ends WMC support early. It is OK so far. Their homepage says they have guide data available for Canada too.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    well i think i don't have a choice until somebody finds a workaround ,
    now manufacturers ends cards support before the cards dies

-with a Schedules Direct subscription for guide service- a free one i hope ,,
    well i guess it's not free ,, hope i can schedule programs without guide subscription ,,,

all of this is just a few days old , hope M$ gets their things together , NextPVR may be an option

i'll fiddle into that , thank you

well if i don't wanna pay for scheduling subcription might as well use the old catalyst media centre that came with my card (ati 650)
    Last edited by smartel; 27th Jul 2015 at 19:10.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by smartel View Post
    well i think i don't have a choice until somebody finds a workaround ,
    now manufacturers ends cards support before the cards dies

-with a Schedules Direct subscription for guide service- a free one i hope ,,
    well i guess it's not free ,, hope i can schedule programs without guide subscription ,,,

all of this is just a few days old , hope M$ gets their things together , NextPVR may be an option

i'll fiddle into that , thank you

well if i don't wanna pay for scheduling subcription might as well use the old catalyst media centre that came with my card (ati 650)
    I suppose CMC would still work OK with Vista since they were both released at about the same time. I had CMC installed on a Windows 7 32-bit system for a while, but eventually it stopped working.

Schedules Direct has a 7 day free trial. You can at least find out if they offer a guide that will work for your location when you sign up for that. A full year's subscription costs $25, which isn't terrible, although I'll agree that the $0 price of WMC's guide service is even better.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    From what I've read, after the switch, all you need to do rerun the setup (which includes rescanning the channels). Any missing channels at that point need to be corrected by Rovi.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote