VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi,

I am somewhat familiar with AutoGK for creating AVI's from DVD's and think I understand that it and other open source software are as easy on system resources as possible and offer much configurability.

(Btw, re AutoGK: how do I select two or more VOB's from which to create an AVI?)

But I have gotten lazy in my declining years and now give priority to ease of use plus with aforementioned type of software you have to be more of an enthusiast than I am and use it farly often in order not to have to start from scratch every time (10-20 times/year in my case) you rip a DVD so as not to forget how it's done.

So I am casting about for some menu-driven, more fuddy-duddy-friendly way of getting what I want, and only that, into the resultant AVI.

I see 700 MB size AVI's on TPB (just as Clinton smoked grass but didn't inhale I look at these files but don't d/l, if you can believe it) and want to be able to do that myself, from my own DVD's you understand.

Any tips? If I rip a DVD to the HD using DVDShrink it's not so easy to see what's useful and what's not. I like to drag 'n drop images and know exactly what I include and what I leave out.

It says in the heading to this forum: "Everything about authoring and burning video as DVD or DivX with chapters, menus and still pictures."

That's it. All I want is everything.
    Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.
    Quote Quote  
  2. There's nothing easier to use than AutoGK. If it's beyond you, then I suggest you take up another hobby.

(Btw, re AutoGK: how do I select two or more VOB's from which to create an AVI?)
    Assuming they're numbered sequentially, by opening the first one the rest in the series will open automatically.
    I see 700 MB size AVI's on TPB ... and want to be able to do that myself, from my own DVD's you understand.
    You want to be able to make your own top quality conversions but don't want to learn anything or do any work? Is there something wrong with this picture? AutoGK makes good quality AVIs from DVD sources and is designed for the ignorant and the lazy. Once you learn a little something and don't mind taking the time, you'll do it all manually. That way you can use the full range of AviSynth filters to compress it down in size.
    Last edited by manono; 25th Feb 2012 at 21:20.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Jeez, when I read TPB at first I thought you meant Trailer Park Boys . But I am Canadian ...

I basically agree with manono. I've seen 700Mb rips that were actually quite decent. But rest assured they were made by people who knew about proper settings. There are a ton of rips that are much bigger than 700Mb that look awful.

Video encoding has been around for a while. It's basically pretty mature technology, which is why there are so many free encoders around.

If there were programs out there that would produce high quality DVD rips that would fit on a CD, with one mouse click, don't you think we would all be using them instead of dicking around with quality settings?

Yes, there are a lot of files that size around. Many of them are terrible quality. Probably most.

I don't get why it has to be avi There's better encoding out there. I prefer h.264 or x.264 (same thing, really, from a ripping point of view). Many here seem to as well.

I also don't see why it has to be 700Mb either. You can get a 1Tb external drive for a hundred bucks. With a well encoded x.264 mp4 or mkv, about 1 Gb per hour of video, you can get damn good quality.

My suggestion? dvdshrink is very, very good at compressing a DVD-9 to a DVD-5, but it's abandonware. It won't support newer DVD copy protection schemes. Try dvdfab hd decrypter. It will decrypt most all newer discs. Just set the output to DVD-9.

dvdfab hd decrypter is part of dvdfab (the free part), and dvdfab has a lot of options and pretty menus, and it promises one button operation, but it doesn't do very good dvd rips. At all. It doesn't have the settings. Don't be tempted. For blu ray it's OK but not DVD.

Then use that DVD-9 folder as input for handbrake or vidcoder ... the latter is actually handbrake with a nicer, simpler interface that suits "lazy bums" quite well. Actually, I used handbrake a bunch of times first and I use vidcoder more now.

However, you're still going to have to learn some settings. But handbrake or vidcoder strikes the best balance between functionality and ease of use I've ever seen in this type of program. I've never seen a "one click" program that didn't produce lousy output.

And handbrake produces excellent output. I've ripped DVD-9s to 4.3 Gb DVD-5 using dvdfab that aren't as good quality as a 2 GB conversion mp4 or mkv using handbrake.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    FU!!
    LOL!!

I know a lot of people here like AutoGK and recommend it, but i have had quite a few issues/problems with it, enough that I don't use it anymore.
    I use and have used much more complex programs with no issues so it is not user error

Anywho, i have always preferred FairUse Wizard for converting DVD's to Xvid.

It is not free (but worth every cent), it has many user options, easy interface and does a great job and creates high quality files.
    And it is at least as easy, if not easier, to use than AutoGK, especially for a beginner or someone who is not familiar with a lot of settings/options.

And as was mentioned, i would never use DVDShrink to "rip" a dvd to my HDD.
    Last edited by Noahtuck; 25th Feb 2012 at 22:40.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Mod Neophyte Super Moderator redwudz's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I use Vidcoder for DVD>MKV conversions at about 1.5 - 2GB size and good quality. (CQ=19.5) Sure, you can squeeze some DVDs down to a 700MB DivX and the quality might be 'OK' for a small screen. But a 1.5GB DVD>MKV can look very good even on a large screen.

And I'm not sure what this thread has to do with 'Authoring (DVD)', but I'll leave it for now.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Freemake Video Converter is pretty simple. For the first run, set the AVI settings to xvid video around 1000 bitrate, up to 720x576 resolution and the audio to MP3 @ 128K & you should get around a 800-900Mb copy of your DVD.

For better results, transcode to MKV or AVI using h.264 video @850 bitrate. That'll get it down to around 700Mb. After the first run Freemake remembers the last settings used so next time there's less clicks you need to make.

As for the quality of the output being good enough, that's a judgement you'll have to make.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I still like old handbrake 0.9.3, https://www.videohelp.com/download/HandBrake-0.9.3-Win_GUI.exe , for dvd to avi xvid conversions.
    Quote Quote  
  8. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by The Mariner View Post
    Freemake Video Converter is pretty simple. ... As for the quality of the output being good enough, that's a judgement you'll have to make.
    Sorry, but I judge thumbs down on its quality. Plus freemake is adware and their software won't uninstall properly. I won't use adware anymore, and not just because you have to deselect some stupid search bar or whatever when installing it.

Vidcoder isn't that much harder to use than that, if at all, and it (handbrake encoding remember) will give you as good output as you're going to get I know of.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by manono View Post
    There's nothing easier to use than AutoGK. If it's beyond you, then I suggest you take up another hobby.

Assuming they're numbered sequentially, by opening the first one the rest in the series will open automatically.
    I see 700 MB size AVI's on TPB ... and want to be able to do that myself, from my own DVD's you understand.
    You want to be able to make your own top quality conversions but don't want to learn anything or do any work? Is there something wrong with this picture? AutoGK makes good quality AVIs from DVD sources and is designed for the ignorant and the lazy. Once you learn a little something and don't mind taking the time, you'll do it all manually. That way you can use the full range of AviSynth filters to compress it down in size.
    What's your problem, buddy? I ask a simple question in all friedliness and you come back with "If it's beyond you, then I suggest you take up another hobby." and more guffaw along that line.

What is really beyond me is why you don't crawl back into the slimehole you came from and stop bugging decent folk.

"Is there something wrong with this picture?" Yes. There is something seriously wrong and it's you. Apart from that, everything's just fine.

People like you make one reluctant to visit this forum, but luckily other people here are not full of venom which they feel they have to spew on those they consider inferior but invariably helpful and patient with a n00b.

I hope you choke on your own nastiness. What a sad, unpleasant experience this was.

I'll go take a long shower now and try and wash it off.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by VenusAndMars View Post
    What's your problem, buddy?
    May I remind you what you named this thread:
    You're the one proud of not being willing to do the least bit of work yet are asking for the same results as those that actually care about video encoding. Ain't gonna happen. I answered your question in the same manner in which it was asked. Why should anyone be willing to help you if you don't care enough to help yourself?
    Quote Quote  
  11. Member
    Search PM
    Sorry, but I judge thumbs down on its quality. Plus freemake is adware and their software won't uninstall properly. I won't use adware anymore, and not just because you have to deselect some stupid search bar or whatever when installing it.

Vidcoder isn't that much harder to use than that, if at all, and it (handbrake encoding remember) will give you as good output as you're going to get I know of.
    There seems to be a general dislike for Freemake on this forum, but I find it works well for me. Yes it is adware but you can bypass it at installation and it doesn't ever appear again. As far as the problems un-installing, I haven't tried to so I can't comment.

I'll give Vidcoder a try just for curiosity sake.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Someone needs to grow some thicker skin if he want's to be on the internet......
    LOL!!!
    Quote Quote  
  13. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    Someone needs to grow some thicker skin if he want's to be on the internet......
    LOL!!!
    And to learn that the belligerent dicks usually are not the really knowledgeable ones, no matter how much jargon they spout ....
    Quote Quote  
  14. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Hoser Rob View Post
    Originally Posted by Noahtuck View Post
    LOL!!!
    And to learn that the belligerent dicks usually are not the really knowledgeable ones, no matter how much jargon they spout ....
    You obviously have not visited 1 or 2 of the other video sites with very knowledgeable members.....

This site is a cakewalk, even back when we were even more obnoxious, blunt and coarse, here on this site, we were still WAAAAY more friendly than another site is to this day!!!

LMAO!!!
    Quote Quote  
  15. I've always used Fair Use Wizard, and my IQ is less than 100 (therefore, fairly easy to use).
    Quote Quote  
  16. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jimdagys View Post
    I've always used Fair Use Wizard, and my IQ is less than 100 (therefore, fairly easy to use).
    I have been using programs and doing things way beyond FU for years and years.....

And my first post in this thread was for using FU!!!

I mean, the entire point of this thread was for making Xvid's

I have not used it in some time as i have moved to HD video but for standard res vids in Xvid, FU is the way to go.....

Simple, easy and great quality results!!!
    Quote Quote