VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread

1. Well once again my domestic partner and I have come to ask for your help. We have a new Samsung T.V. that has no audio out. We have a R.C.A. RTD 160 surround sound system that we can't seem to figure out how to hook up to. The T.V. has HDMI ports but the surround sound don't! Is there still a way to connect the two?:
    Last edited by Baldrick; 13th May 2014 at 10:33. Reason: New title
    Nikki
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm moving you to our general video section. The how to section is only for tutorials.

And I changed the thread title so it better describes your problem. You can adjust it by click edit and go advanced.

What is the samsung model number?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Normally you would connect the audio output of devices like DVD/BluRay players, game systems, streaming media systems (Roku, Western Digital, etc.) directly to a surround receiver. If your surround receiver is old enough to not have HDMI connections then this is going to be VERY challenging for you. It may be simply impossible to feed the audio from your TV to an old surround system.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Almost all TVs have RCA stereo audio outputs. Connect those to the RCA stereo audio inputs on the HT box. If the TV really has HDMI output you can use an HDMI to digital coax converter.

http://www.amazon.com/ViewHD-Premium-Audio-Extractor-Converter/dp/B00AHS8LD8/
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The best you'll be able to do with the RCA RTD160 is stereo out from the TV. We'll need the TV's model number so we can see what the options are for the best recommendation.
    Image Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	rca_rtd160.jpg
Views:	4013
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	25191  

Have a good one,

neomaine

NEW! VideoHelp.com F@H team 166011!
    http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/main.py?qtype=teampage&teamnum=166011

Folding@Home FAQ and download: http://folding.stanford.edu/
    Quote Quote  
  6. According to Amazon the RCA RTD160 has digital coax in:

http://www.amazon.com/RCA-RTD160-Home-Theater-System/dp/B0002ARMR2/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top

In general, if you want flexibility, don't buy HTIB systems.
    Quote Quote  
  7. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jagabo View Post
    Almost all TVs have RCA stereo audio outputs.
    All the newest TVs i have been setting up for customers no longer have any audio outputs,the only audio outputs i have seen is on smaller TVs,32" and less.Best thing to do is buy a receiver with hdmi inputs and hdmi output.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    afaik samsungs have at least a mini-jack audio out which looks like a headphone port. some add digital audio out (mostly optical)
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Connecting a receiver to the audio out from a TV should only be an absolute necessity when using the TV's tuner as the A/V source.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    If the Samsung tv is the same tv from your older thread, then the answer is no. That tv has no optical or coaxial output.

https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/363854-Convert-Creative-Inspire-6-1-subwoofer-and-s...61#post2315461
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    And if that is the case (same TV model from other thread), then your ONLY good option is to buy an new HDMI surround-capable receiver. With pass-through.

Scott
    Last edited by Cornucopia; 13th May 2014 at 19:34.
    Quote Quote  
  12. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I'm confused now, because according to Samsung's website (pdf spec sheet) that television has an optical output. Most retail websites saw it has no outputs.

Model #UN32EH4003F (from other thread) pdf spec sheet from website http://www.samsung.com/us/system/consumer/product/un/32/eh/un32eh4003fxza/7654_LED_32_4003_V2.pdf
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    You should be confused: Samsung's website shows in the "specs" tab that it DOESN'T have an optical connection, whereas in it's User Guide it DOES. Still hard to tell whether that optical connection is for INPUT or OUTPUT (user guide is too small to be legible). In the OP's case, it would only be beneficial if it were OUTPUT.

Then, a receiver that received optical in could be used for stereo LPCM, and for lossy-compressed stereo & surround bitstreams (AC3, DTS), but not for LPCM surround, nor for HD/Lossless surround bitstreams (as those are too large for the SPDIF/TOSLINK alllowed bandwidth). I have a receiever that falls under this category. I find it works well, as most modern players are able to do a realtime downmix to stereo, or do an extract of the core lossy bitstream, and most of the time that is acceptable enough. Depends on your listening expectations, though.

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    here's what's in the guide

UN32EH4003
    32" Class (31.5" Diagonal) LED HDTV with 720p Resolution
    PICTURE QUALITY
    • HD LED Picture Quality
    • Clear Motion Rate 60
    • Wide Color Enhancer Plus
    AUDIO
    • 5W x 2
    • Dolby® Digital Plus/Dolby® Pulse
    • SRS TheaterSound
    CONNECTIONS
    • HDMI®: 2
    • USB: 1
    • Component in: 1
    • Shared composite in: 1 AV
    • Digital audio output: 1 optical
    • ConnectShare™ Movie
    --
    Quote Quote  
  15. The T.V. model # is UN32EH4003 (Series 45). It has the HDMI port but the surround sound system don't, (we are poor lol).
    Nikki
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by Pandora59 View Post
    The T.V. model # is UN32EH4003 (Series 45). It has the HDMI port but the surround sound system don't, (we are poor lol).
    You don't seem to understand that HDMI ports are one-way. That TV has two HDMI inputs. Those are for getting external video sources into the the TV to be displayed. There are no HDMI outputs (which would get what's in the TV out to another device).

Why do you want to output from the TV to the HT box? As was pointed out earlier, you would only do that if you are using the TV's internal over-the-air tuner or cable tuner. Audio from external devices should be routed directly to the HT box.

After looking at the manual for that TV: there is no way to get audio out from the TV to your HT box. The only thing you could do is open the TV, and run the speaker wires out to a step-down transformer, then to the HT box. That would invalidate your warranty, of course.
    Last edited by jagabo; 13th May 2014 at 19:02.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    audio return channel over hdmi makes it 2 way. i've used it and it works fine.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  18. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    The only other thing you can do is connect your tv box and dvd/bluray player to your stereo system,newer blu-ray players have hdmi only output,no analog or digital.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    audio return channel over hdmi makes it 2 way. i've used it and it works fine.
    I see no indication the TV supports audio return via HDMI. And the HT box has no HDMI ports.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    it was only a correction of your assertion that hdmi ports are one way.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  21. Mentally Deficient Mr.Delusional's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    @Nikki Wild aka Pandora59

If possible, could you post some photos of all the inputs/outputs of your television? We are getting conflicting information from many websites. Including Samsungs' website.
    To add more confusion Amazon has people saying that the television has a "mini headphone" output.

http://www.amazon.com/connection-Samsung-UN32EH4000-headphones-headphone/forum/Fx1NOG4...sin=B0071O4EZK
    Quote Quote  
  22. Member
    Search Comp PM
    No offense intended, but that TV is a pretty basic model. I would be very surprised if it has an optical output.

What is the original source of your video? Cable box? DVD player? Xbox?

Your best bet may be to take your original source and plug THAT into your surround sound product.

TC
    Quote Quote  
  23. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Mr.Delusional View Post
    @Nikki Wild aka Pandora59

If possible, could you post some photos of all the inputs/outputs of your television? We are getting conflicting information from many websites. Including Samsungs' website.
    To add more confusion Amazon has people saying that the television has a "mini headphone" output.

http://www.amazon.com/connection-Samsung-UN32EH4000-headphones-headphone/forum/Fx1NOG4...sin=B0071O4EZK
    The TV doesn't have a mini-headphone jack either, according to the manual. There is something in the back near the A/V connections that might be mistaken for one, but it is labeled "Ex Link" in the photo I saw and the manual labels it "Service".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The spec sheet indicates optical audio out - so if you can't handle a spdif output you can get convertor box to give you a set of RCA's if that helps or a optical to digital coax convertor.

UN32EH4003
    32" Class (31.5" Diagonal) LED HDTV with 720p Resolution
    PICTURE QUALITY
    • HD LED Picture Quality
    • Clear Motion Rate 60
    • Wide Color Enhancer Plus
    AUDIO
    • 5W x 2
    • Dolby
    ®
    Digital Plus/Dolby
    ®
    Pulse
    • SRS TheaterSound
    CONNECTIONS
    • HDMI
    ®
    : 2
    • USB: 1
    • Component in: 1
    • Shared composite in: 1 AV
    • Digital audio output: 1 optical
    • ConnectShare

Movie
    NET DIMENSIONS (W
    x
    H
    x
    D)
    TV without stand:
    29.1" x 17.5" x 3.7"
    TV with stand:
    29.1" x 19.6" x 7.5"
    Last edited by netmask56; 15th May 2014 at 01:18. Reason: added a bit
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Not a bad idea, Netmask56, if the intent is to just get SOME kind of audio output. If, however, there is a need to use compressed audio, particularly surround audio, that method won't work, as the D->A decoder won't pass through the compressed bits to be decoded in the receiver. You'd be left with, at best, a simple stereo signal (in the case of LPCM digital stereo), or at worst, no signal at all or digital garbage/noise (for all those other cases).

Scott
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I think I saw in the specs for the amp, coax in - so this would decode the signal http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/TOSlink-Optical-to-COAX-Coaxial-Digital-Audio-Converter-24b...-/221156873861 and many other sites
    SONY 75" Full array 200Hz LED TV, Yamaha A1070 amp, Zidoo UHD3000, BeyonWiz PVR V2 (Enigma2 clone), Chromecast, Windows 11 Professional, QNAP NAS TS851
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    ...but there is no S/PDIF out. Regardless of what the specs say, the TV has no audio out of any kind. I have looked in the manual, and it doesn't mention any or have a diagram showing one. I looked at pictures of this TV at Newegg, which show it from every angle save the bottom, and it matches the drawing in the manual.

One reviewer even wrote this for the refurbished listing there:
    Audio is only mediocre, worse yet, no audio outputs - can't add a speaker bar. I opened the back and disconnected the internal speakers and wired some pioneer bookcase speakers (about 6x10" case). The internal speaker amps drive these nicely and sound is fantastic in my RV.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 15th May 2014 at 08:40.
    Quote Quote  
  28. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    One reviewer even wrote this for the refurbished listing there:
    Audio is only mediocre, worse yet, no audio outputs - can't add a speaker bar. I opened the back and disconnected the internal speakers and wired some pioneer bookcase speakers (about 6x10" case). The internal speaker amps drive these nicely and sound is fantastic in my RV.
    I've done this with all our flat screen TVs. The sound is so much better.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!