VideoHelp Forum

Try StreamFab Downloader and download from Netflix, Amazon, Youtube! Or Try DVDFab and copy Blu-rays! or rip iTunes movies!

Try StreamFab Downloader and download streaming video from Youtube, Netflix, Amazon! Download free trial.

+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,

I have some DVDs and want to upload them to YouTube. I have created MP4 files from DVDs using Constant Quality of "18" and then added watermark (.PNG file) to them using MeGUI+AVISynth script. On MeGUI, I used Constant Quality of "16".

The watermark quality before uploading is very good. But, after uploading to Youtube, the quality is very bad. Am missing something here? Any tips to increase the quality?

FYI - I am using Handbrake here to get my first set of MP4 files. My DVDs have Audio delay and hence except Handbrake, all others are creating A/V sync issues. So, I need to use 2 step process here.

Thank you for your time!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    not nearly detailed enough info. start with posting mediainfo output of the handbrake output and megui output. and attach the png to the post.
    --
    "a lot of people are better dead" - prisoner KSC2-303
    Quote Quote  
  3. When YouTube converts the video you're going to lose some quality but there's a couple things you can do to make it more visible:
    1. Increase the opacity of your watermark.
    2. Increase the size of the watermark.

You own the copyright or have a license to these DVD's right?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Hello Aedipuss,

Thank you for your quick reply. Please find the attached MeiaInfo from HandBrake and MeGui Mp4 files.

I am sending the watermark as a private message.

Thank you for your time!
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by MOVIEGEEK View Post
    When YouTube converts the video you're going to lose some quality but there's a couple things you can do to make it more visible:
    1. Increase the opacity of your watermark.
    2. Increase the size of the watermark.

You own the copyright or have a license to these DVD's right?
    Thank you for your reply!

I am maintaining 100% opacity for the logo.
    Currently, I am using PNG image size of 54x54.

Yes, we own the copyrights and have DigiTapes. But, getting the source from DigiTapes will take some time and hence we want to take the source from DVDs quickly.

Let me know, if you have any more suggestions. Thank you for your time!
    Quote Quote  
  6. 54x54 pixels is small for 848x480 video, it should be at least 75x75.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Thank you for your quick reply. I will update the logo and post you the update!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Also, is there a better way to handle "delayed Audio" in the DVDs. The audio track in my DVD is delayed by few seconds. Due to that, many encoders are not detecting the audio track and even if they detect, there is a big a/v sync issues.

As I need to add watermark, I can't use Handbrake completely as my solution.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    the watermark is of pitiful quality to start with. any enlargement shows just how bad it is.

i'd use a video editing program to create your streaming vids. vegas pro is where i'd start.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    the watermark is of pitiful quality to start with. any enlargement shows just how bad it is.

i'd use a video editing program to create your streaming vids. vegas pro is where i'd start.
    Thank you for your reply! I have a original watermark with 1500x1500 size. Shall I use the same and resize it? What is the proper size to use on 480p video?

Is it possible to import VOB files/DVD on Vegas? Earlier I tried with many encoders like Digital Rapids, Envivo, FFMPEG, Squeeze etc., and all are having a/v sync issues due to audio delay in DVD. Only Handbrake and MeGUI was able to produce synced a/v.

Thank you for your time!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    vobs can be converted easily to mpeg-2. use vob2mpg, select the video and audio to extract and then try importing the mpg file. it's usually easier for encoders to work with.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  12. You can use vob2mpeg then import into vegas...

But that doesn't address your question - you said the videos look fine before uploading to youtube. So obviously it's Youtube's re-encoding that is the issue . Nothing you do in vegas will help with that, unless you're fixing up the logo or something (but I would do that in another program like photoshop/gimp)

As an aside why are you encoding to mp4, then encoding again ? Why not do it once ? (not only do you lose quality re-encoding twice, you waste time)

I have created MP4 files from DVDs using Constant Quality of "18" and then added watermark (.PNG file) to them using MeGUI+AVISynth script. On MeGUI, I used Constant Quality of "16".
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Thank you for your reply! I have a original watermark with 1500x1500 size. Shall I use the same and resize it? What is the proper size to use on 480p video?
    make it the size you want it to appear in the video. use a good resizing program like photoshop and make sure the result is free from jaggies.
    --
    Quote Quote  
  14. Originally Posted by aedipuss View Post
    make it the size you want it to appear in the video. use a good resizing program like photoshop and make sure the result is free from jaggies.
    Thank you. I will play with the different sizes of the logo and see whether improves the quality.
    Quote Quote  
  15. Originally Posted by poisondeathray View Post
    You can use vob2mpeg then import into vegas...

But that doesn't address your question - you said the videos look fine before uploading to youtube. So obviously it's Youtube's re-encoding that is the issue . Nothing you do in vegas will help with that, unless you're fixing up the logo or something (but I would do that in another program like photoshop/gimp)

As an aside why are you encoding to mp4, then encoding again ? Why not do it once ? (not only do you lose quality re-encoding twice, you waste time)

I have created MP4 files from DVDs using Constant Quality of "18" and then added watermark (.PNG file) to them using MeGUI+AVISynth script. On MeGUI, I used Constant Quality of "16".
    Hello poisondeathray,

Thank you for your reply. As I mentioned earlier, my all problems are due to the delay in audio track. 98% of the encoders are producing a/v sync issues. That is why, I am using Handbrake in first step and then another encoder to add watermark.

My task is just get the video from DVD and upload to YouTube by adding watermark. Seems to be simple, but all are due to a/v sync issues.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Originally Posted by streamingguy View Post
    Also, is there a better way to handle "delayed Audio" in the DVDs.
    Remove the delay entirely using DelayCut.
    What is the proper size to use on 480p video?
    In my opinion, no watermark is a good watermark. Why irritate people unnecessarily with a useless watermark? You think defacing the video with a watermark will keep people from stealing the video? Hardly.
    Quote Quote  
  17. Originally Posted by manono View Post
    Originally Posted by streamingguy View Post
    Also, is there a better way to handle "delayed Audio" in the DVDs.
    Remove the delay entirely using DelayCut.
    What is the proper size to use on 480p video?
    In my opinion, no watermark is a good watermark. Why irritate people unnecessarily with a useless watermark? You think defacing the video with a watermark will keep people from stealing the video? Hardly.
    Thank you for your reply!

I used delay cut and added silence to make it same length as the video track. Then combined all of my VOBs into single file and then encoded on different encoders. The audio starts fine and has a/v sync. But, after few minutes of the video OR if I use trick play, the a/v sync issues starts.

BTB, my DVDs have variable fps as few parts are interlaced. What is the best fps method to use while encoding? "Same as Source" OR "
    constant 29.97 fps"?

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  18. Originally Posted by streamingguy View Post
    BTB, my DVDs have variable fps...
    No they don't. All NTSC DVDs output 29.97fps (or, more accurately, 59.94 fields per second).

I don't (and won't) use Handbrake, so someone else will have to advise. If the source is film, then perhaps an IVTC is called for (called something else in Handbrake). If the source is mixed film and video, then you have a problem and keeping it 29.97fps might be the easiest (if not the best) solution. In that sense they can sometimes be considered as VFR, but not in any strict sense. Sometimes samples of a problematic section can be helpful.
    Quote Quote  
  19. Thank you for your reply!

Some of my DVDs have both film content & video content. These are from different vendors and I have to encode around 500+ DVDs. So, going one by one manually is a difficult job. Hence, I am encoding two times as Handbrake is handling the sync issues correctly.

BTB, is there any problem in using Handbrake? Just wanted to know...

Thanks
    Sasidhar
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by streamingguy View Post
    BTB, is there any problem in using Handbrake? Just wanted to know...
    Yeah, Handbrake is not professional software, and no self-respecting legitimate videographer would use it.
    It's hobby software for the one-click users.

Sorry if that sounds rough/rude, but you shouldn't be doing pro work with amateur tools.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
  21. Thank you and I understand that. But, as I mentioned earlier, my main problem is a/v sync. I can do the same job with megui, avisynth etc., But, due to the volume of the work, I selected Handbrake, even though I didn't personally liked that quality of the outcome after my second encoding.
    Quote Quote