VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello,I have a CAnnon HV20 with an HDMI output. I am wanting to capture live video into my imac. How do I hook the camera to the computer?
    -Can I use just a regular HDMI cable with a thunderbolt adapter?
    -Do I need an expensive video conversion box of some type (please say no)?

I am running a video mixing program called vmix. www.vmix.com.au. I have been able to capture the video through the firewire output on the camera into the thunderbolt but the quality is low. I am hoping I can get a higher quality into my computer through the HDMI
    Any help is hugely appreciated.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Sorry, but you do need an OSX-compatible HDMI capture device. The Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt and Blackmagic Intensity Extreme are the only Thunderbolt-based capture devices I have seen. There are also a couple of USB 2.0 HDMI capture devices that are a little less expensive and OSX compatible, the elgato Game Capture HD and the Hauppauge HD PVR-2.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    The Firewire output is anamorphic 1440x1080i 25Mbps MPEG-2 (HDV) unless you changed the settings. That's not generally regarded as low quality.

How about attaching a sample video to show us what you are looking at?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Sorry, but you do need an OSX-compatible HDMI capture device. The Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle for Thunderbolt and Blackmagic Intensity Extreme are the only Thunderbolt-based capture devices I have seen. There are also a couple of USB 2.0 HDMI capture devices that are a little less expensive and OSX compatible, the elgato Game Capture HD and the Hauppauge HD PVR-2.
    Hi ,
    Thanks for the reply. Question: will this work?
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892453-REG/Blackmagic_Design_bdlkulsdzminrec_Ult..._Recorder.html

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by wkroeplin View Post
    Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Hi ,
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/892453-REG/Blackmagic_Design_bdlkulsdzminrec_Ult..._Recorder.html

Thanks
    I don't know enough about your iMac, or the capture device and capture software to say. Reviewers seem more pleased with the Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Recorder Capture Device for SDI capture than for HDMI capture. I suspect you'd get uncompressed HDMI input through your thunderbolt port that would have to be compressed using software. Compression options would depend on your CPU and capture software. Files could be very large, on the order of 100GB/hr, for lightly compressed HD video. High compression of HD video in real time requires a beefy CPU.

I'd try to work with vaporeon800 first to see if it is possible to improve the quality of the video received via firewire to an acceptable level.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 14th Nov 2013 at 14:19.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by usually_quiet View Post
    Hi ,

Thanks
    I don't know enough about your iMac, or the capture device and capture software to say. Reviewers seem more pleased with the Blackmagic Design UltraStudio Mini Recorder Capture Device for SDI capture than for HDMI capture. I suspect you'd get uncompressed HDMI input through your thunderbolt port that would have to be compressed using software. Compression options would depend on your CPU and capture software. Files could be very large, on the order of 100GB/hr, for lightly compressed HD video. High compression of HD video in real time requires a beefy CPU.
    How "beefy" of a CPU do I need? Here are my current specs:
    3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi ,

Thanks
    How "beefy" of a CPU do I need? Here are my current specs:
    3.2GHz quad-core Intel Core i5 processor (Turbo Boost up to 3.6GHz) with 6MB L3 cache
    The capture software will determine your options for compression. vaporeon800 would know better than I would which compression options will work with your CPU for 1920x1080 video. He has a Windows PC with a similar CPU and more experience with HD capture devices that use software compression.

From what I recall compressed ProRes would be the standard capture format for OSX using the Media Express software included with that device. Coming from the PC side, I am at a disadvantage since ProRes is Apple only, but I think CPU demands will be within the capabilities of your iMac, but file size will be enormous, much larger than for H.264 which seems to be preferred by many people these days.
    Quote Quote