VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    needless to say it works about as good as that found in Hybrid, which is to say not at all.

has anyone tried media coder's implementation and produced a usable file? if so how exactly did you do it?

also, Stan says that media coder will support x265 in the first part of 2014, looking forward to more semi-working garbage out of him.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    The latest FFmpeg also supports vp9 encoding. Although I know little about it, I managed to encode a clip. The output is a .webm and the only player I have that can play it is FFplay. Overall I like x264 better from what I've seen so far.

Here is the encoded clip in a 7zip file along with the FFmpeg.exe and .bat file I used in case you want to experiment:
    Image Attached Files
    • File Type: 7z VP9.7z (13.15 MB, 745 views)
    Last edited by racer-x; 12th Jan 2014 at 17:50.
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
  3. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    thanks, does ffplay have a gui front end because the link goes to the ffmpeg listing.

also, is webm the only container that one can use with vp9?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by deadrats View Post
    thanks, does ffplay have a gui front end because the link goes to the ffmpeg listing.

When you download ffmpeg, there will be ffplay.exe in the zip file

You can drag and drop a video file on ffplay.exe and it will play

(or ffplay -i input.ext)

But it's very minimalistic display / GUI (...I don't even know if it can be called a GUI LOL)
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    is webm the only container that one can use with vp9?
    Just discovered you can output to .mkv also. Just edit the .bat file and change "output.webm" to "output.mkv"

MPC-HC complains about lav-splitter or something like that and won't play it on my system. FFplay will play anything.....
    Got my retirement plans all set. Looks like I only have to work another 5 years after I die........
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    yeah, i was playing around with it the other week when you first posted about it but forgot about and that link's topic. anyway.

using ffmpeg as the front-end vp9/webm encoder:

you can use the crude utility i wrote for quick dos command runs from another thread i posted here some time last year. i can't remember, just search google for it since this sites search engine isn't the greatest.

otherwise, just open a dos command window and paste the code below, then when you want to edit any parameters/values, just cursor-up and cursor left/right to edit, then enter, to re-run it.

or, write a .bat file with ffmpeg and the parameters, (open notepad to update the .bat file, save your changes) then, run the .bat file as many times as you make changes to it.

to get you started, here is how you can encode it.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "c:\video.avs" -frames 100 -c:v libvpx-vp9 -qmin 0 -qmax 40 -crf 4 -b:v 6.0M -c:a no -y "h:\video.webm"
    i was testing different values. the above is for higher quality, larger filesize. play around with the values to suite your requirements.

-vbr - is the values used between -i video (-c:v libvpx -b:v value -c:a) and video.webm
    -crf - constant quality, use 4..63 values
    -qmin – the min quant def 4, range 0..63
    -qmax – the max quant def 63, range is the minimum of the qmin..63)

edited: updated command string to correct vp9 codec.
    Last edited by vhelp; 12th Jan 2014 at 21:04. Reason: corrected codec version in command string
    Quote Quote  
  7. Originally Posted by vhelp View Post
    to get you started, here is how you can encode it.

Code:
    ffmpeg -i "c:\video.avs" -frames 100 -c:v libvpx -qmin 0 -qmax 40 -crf 4 -b:v 6.0M -c:a no -y "h:\video.webm"
    -c:v libvpx is actually VP8

To encode VP9 -c:v libvpx-vp9
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'm pretty sure Vhelp's code is for vp8 not vp9....

Here is the code I used for vp9:
    Code:
    for %%a in ("*.avs") do "C:\FFmbc\ffmpeg" -i %%a -c:v libvpx-vp9 -qmin 0 -qmax 50 -crf 5 -b:v 1.5M -c:a libvorbis -threads 4 output.mkv  
    pause
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    sorry for the typo, i was trying to correct, but you guys are too quick. thanks.

edit: i updated to the correct vp9 codec usage in post # 6 above. oh, while i'm stilling editing.. it slower than x265, encoding speeds is 0.2 fps on my amd dual core.
    Last edited by vhelp; 12th Jan 2014 at 21:07.
    Quote Quote