VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Folks,
    It's been awhile since I last posted here.

Have been experience random gpu fan speed throttling. Using OpenHardwareMonitor.
    Once the temperature is above 80 degree celcius, the fan speed to would increase to 3200 rpm and very noisy.

I am thinking whether the thermal paste on the gpu is failing. Possible ? Or the gpu is failing ?

This what I am experiencing now.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBGTwelALY0

Any tips on how to fix this problem is much appreciated.

BTW, my PC case has 1x 120m and 2x 80mm fan inlet and 1 80mm fan outlet. The 120mm fan(Lian Li BZ502B) was added as
    a solution to fix this problem but it didn't.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Best to buy a newer video card,they are much quieter,unless you can find a fan replacement cheaply and even then it probably won't help.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    That's not "throttling". Throttling would be if the fan speed was being reduced/limited to a certain speed.

In your case, the gpu is hot and the fan is increasing to full speed to keep the chipset for overheating.

Unlike a cpu, gpu heatsinks usually are not always easily removed and they don't always use hardware to hold them in place. They sometimes just use an epoxy compound which holds the heatsink onto the chip.

Having said that, the heatsink could be dirty, the fan could not be performing properly, or the room temp/case temp could be higher, thus the gpu is having trouble keeping itself cool.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  4. I'm a Super Moderator johns0's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Throttle can also mean increasing the speed.
    I think,therefore i am a hamster.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Because I'm bored I will play word games.

Throttle would be a device used to control speed. So yes, that could mean faster or slower.

noun
    Also called throttle lever. a lever, pedal, handle, etc., for controlling or manipulating a throttle valve.
    throttle valve.
    the throat, gullet, or windpipe, as of a horse.

Throttline is not even a word. I assume it was a typo meant for throttling, which does NOT mean increase speed.

verb (used with object), throttled, throttling.
    to stop the breath of by compressing the throat; strangle.
    to choke or suffocate in any way.
    to compress by fastening something tightly around.
    to silence or check as if by choking:
    His message was throttled by censorship.
    Machinery.
    to obstruct or check the flow of (a fluid), as to control the speed of an engine.
    to reduce the pressure of (a fluid) by passing it from a smaller area to a larger one.

In any case, we are talking about a gpu and after POST, they control their own fan speed.

Although I will add that many card manufacturers supply software which can override the cards built-in controller and can also be used to adjust the temp at which the fan speed changes. But that doesn't appear to be an issue here and based on the OP, it sounds like the card is simply hot and trying to stay cool.
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Back to the topic. Possible causes.
    1. GPU is failing - temperature spiking
    2. GPU cooling fan is failing - noisy from 3000rpm onwards
    3. GPU thermal paste has degraded

If anyone here is using Powercolor PCS+ HD7870 Myst graphic card can help that it's normal for the temperature to spike
    then I would choose to replace the fan.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Blow and brush the dust from the fan and heatsink, thoroughly, do what you can to direct air to the card from outside the case, move nearby cards farther away if possible / applicable, and turn down some of the graphics features in whatever video games you are playing.

Video cards get hot. Fact of life. Knowing if this represented some dramatic change from past performance IN THE SAME CIRCUMSTANCES would be helpful, but since you have supplied no information whatsoever in this regard, that would be just a guess. They generally do NOT get hotter due to some hardware problem other than the fan, and IF it is turning at the proper RPM, then it is dust or just a particularly demanding section of the game. Quite common.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Nelson37,
    This is a gaming rig. Just added a 120mm fan in the front(BZ502B). It didn't help. There is surrounding card. The gpu heatsink is clean.
    The gpu fan throttle seems random. Sometimes during web surfing and sometimes during game. The temperature would climb from 60 degree C to 80+ in a matter of seconds. The fan rpm would ramp up from 1500 to 3200 rpm.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I'd add another: 4. the ambient temp of the room has changed

Although if it's a random issue, I'd suspect a faulty card. Could be a faulty temp sensor
    Google is your Friend
    Quote Quote  
  10. HOW OLD IS THE CARD?

HAS IT ALWAYS RUN THIS WAY?

CAN YOU MOVE OR TEMPORARILY REMOVE THE NEARBY CARD THAT IS BLOCKING AIRFLOW?

HAVE YOU TIDIED UP WIRES AND OTHER OBSTRUCTIONS TO ALLOW MAXIMUM AIRFLOW TO THE CARD?

DO YOU HAVE OR CAN YOU OBTAIN A VIDEOCARD BENCHMARKING PROGRAM SO THAT EASILY REPEATABLE TESTING CAN BE PERFORMED?

HAVE YOU MADE ANY EFFORT TO DIRECT ADDITIONAL AIRFLOW, FROM OUTSIDE THE CASE, TO THE CARD?

IS THE PC ON THE FLOOR WHERE THE COOLEST AIR IS TO BE FOUND?

The above questions all involve necessary diagnostic information. Answers are REQUIRED in order to correctly proceed.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Nelson37,
    I have 2 such rigs for my kids. They game and I don't. The only difference is that the other setup has a newer case. I think I have mitigated that with a new 120mm fan. In all, it has 1x120mm, 2x80mm at the front and 1x80mm at the back. The other rig is running quiet. Both kids playing Path of Exiles. The card is Powercolor PCS+ HD7870 Myst. Bought in Mar 2013. Just past its 3 year warranty. Sorry, I confused you on post #8. There is NO surrounding card.
    Maybe 2 pictures should clear things up.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05776.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	5.71 MB
ID:	37591Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC05778.JPG
Views:	145
Size:	4.37 MB
ID:	37592

@Krispy Kritter,
    I am beginning to think that this gpu is screwed.
    I live in a tropical island. Ambient temp doesn't change much.
    Last edited by pchan; 1st Jul 2016 at 22:43.
    Quote Quote  
  12. OK, well, I will make a wild guess that the card has not been doing this for three years, it likely started 2-3 months ago, and possibly has not gotten progressively worse over that time, while it would be useful to know these details, I have already shouted from the rooftops this question and got no useful information whatsoever, so I will have to use the crystal ball.

Combining that guess with the large, heavy heatsink hanging vertically, plus the rapid rise in temperature in a short period of time, though AGAIN without a known quantity such as a benchmarking program to get repeatable results on more than one occassion, we have a one-shot occurrance with only a users estimate of time and temperature change, so once again the crystal ball comes out - remove, clean, re-paste and re-install the heatsink.

Many cases have a series of holes in the side cover right near the video card, these are useful for mounting an internal fan in position to blow air FROM OUTSIDE THE CASE, as opposed to more hot air FROM INSIDE THE CASE, onto the card for the express purpose of cooling the card, that would be why I asked, TWICE, if any attempt to use this most simple and basic method of increased cooling for a high performance video card had been done.

Also, temp monitoring programs are quite often wrong, and quite often dramatically so, would be useful to verify temp findings with a second program. That would be if you had some desire to make decisions based on precise, accurate information instead of guesses and estimations. Myself I prefer to have as much accurate, verifiable information as possible, this absolutely, positively leads to more reliable diagnosis and repair procedures, however sometimes you just have to work within the limitations of what is available.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Hi Nelson37,

Ran it without side penal(just like the picture) and the temp spike too. During the temp spike, and I use my finger to touch the heat pipe, it was real hot. Normally, the heat pipe is warm. I guess the temp sensor is working. I will reapply thermal paste and see how it goes.

Thanks.
    Quote Quote  
  14. Welcome to summer, the sun is high , it shines, burns, your little computer suffocate, dying in agony..Arrgh. Time for a big cleanup and new paste (that makes me think i haven't cleaned mine yet..so lazy)
    Time to buy a large fan for the room too
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I reapply thermal paste and cpu temp peak at 82 degree Celsius. GPU fan noise was louder but not as loud as before. GPU fan speed max 2.6k rpm. Before, it was 3.2k rpm. So, it helps.
    Quote Quote  
  16. Obviously something is wrong with the cpu heatsink or thermal paste or both. Make sure to buy good paste (i use Antec formula 6); once i bought a 5 bucks paste, it didn't do the job.
    tips:
    - First you have to completely remove the old paste, then apply a thin layer (not too big)
    - before mounting the mobo back, make sure the heatsink is fully in contact with the cpu (watch every corner) once the motherboard is in vertical position (very important step)

Good luck
    *** DIGITIZING VHS / ANALOG VIDEOS SINCE 2001**** GEAR: JVC HR-S7700MS, TOSHIBA V733EF AND MORE
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I watched the youtube video on how to reapply thermal paste before I did it.
    But once I close the side penal, the gpu temp jumped from 74 to 82 degree Celsius.
    I think that the air circulation is bad under the gpu. So, I am going to get this.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Here goes. With this thing (2x120mm fans), side penal is cooler.
    [Attachment 37717 - Click to enlarge]
    Quote Quote  
  19. What are the temps with & without it ?
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by themaster1 View Post
    What are the temps with & without it ?
    Peak temp was 80+ degree Celsius without the pci slot fans. With the new fans, it seldom peaks at 80+.
    If you have noticed in the latest picture, I have moved the HDD up to floppy slot. The air flow is direct from the
    2x80mm fans in the front to the back.
    Quote Quote  
  21. If there is decent stand-off distance from the bottom of the case, some holes drilled there for the fan intakes will allow cooler outside air to be directed over the card. Some fine panty hose over the holes makes a good dust filter.
    Quote Quote