VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. I just downloaded the trial version, but I'm having trouble getting it to work right.

Basically I'm trying to resize an mkv file and convert it into avi/xvid. The conversion starts nicely but claims to be "complete" after about 10 seconds. It produces a 42-second long, but perfectly functional avi file. The original video is 45 minutes long, so that's not right.

I don't know if this is perhaps a trial version limitation? It doesn't seem to be noted anywhere if it is.

I'm on OSX 10.5.8. Intel mac pro 3.1, and using ffmpegX 0.0.9y.
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    I would try a newer ffmpeg frontend like iffmpeg.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks but I can't, it doesn't work on my version of OSX.

Eitherway, can we confirm that this is an error and not a trial version limitation?
    Quote Quote  
  4. Ah, wait, found an older version of that! So now I tried iFFmpg 2.3. It does the same thing!
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by teacup View Post
    Eitherway, can we confirm that this is an error and not a trial version limitation?
    Yes, ffmpegX has a few (2) limitations for the unregistered version, which are listed on the website and greyed out in the program. There is no time limit on conversions.

The error is that the underlying ffmpeg version actually thinks that the source file ends after 42 seconds, or finds some other reason why it can't continue. Maybe a glitch in the file.
    You'll find that player software can be a bit more forgiving than conversion apps, when it comes to media files with small errors.
    Quote Quote