VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I've made a DVD with ConvertXtoDVD, however the menu video thumbnail previews are showing the wrong videos for some reason. So I thought rather than wasting another 5 hours to convert the entire thing again, I'd just remake the menu again as the rest of the DVD is fine.

I cut the input mkv video files down to 2 minute chunks and remade another DVD with those - this time the menu thumbnails are what they should be.

So now I would like to take the fixed menu and replace it with the old broken one.

I initially just copied and replaced the menu files (VIDEO_TS.VOB, VIDEO_TS.IFO, VIDEO_TS.BUP) which somewhat works, but I lose all the chapters. As seen below:

However if you open the DVD with PgcEdit, specifically at the video stream, the chapters are all there:

I then thought VobBlanker should be able to do what I want, but I'm unsure how to use it (if it is possible to do what I want). Is there a way to use PgcEdit to fix it? I would like to retain chapters and everything else, I just want to replace the initial root menu.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Last edited by crackerbear; 1st Oct 2010 at 19:03.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    in vobblanker, right click on the video's u want to replace (bottom screen) and click "replace"...explore to where the vobs u want to replace with and make sure you replace the exact one for each vts...they shuld marry up just fine
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Moontrash View Post
    in vobblanker, right click on the video's u want to replace (bottom screen) and click "replace"...explore to where the vobs u want to replace with and make sure you replace the exact one for each vts...they shuld marry up just fine
    That's what I've been trying to do, but cannot get working.

The problem, as far as I can tell, is that the menu is a single video where the first part is used as a menu fade in, the end is used as a fade out (after choosing an option) and the middle section is the actual looped menu.

Here's a screenshot of the menu in VobBlanker:

PGC #4 appears to contain the fade in and main menu, PGC#5 is a repeat of the main menu cell and PGC #7 is the fade out.

I don't understand how to replace the fade in/out and main menu all at same time in VobBlanker when it's the same file. I can go "Replace" each menu cell (loosely following the latter half of this guide), but the result is that the menu is 3 times as big and it no longer functions.

Clearly I'm missing something here, but considering the time I've spent trying to get this working, I'm probably better off reconverting the whole thing again from ConvertXtoDVD, which is ironic given that I initially went down this road to save time.
    Quote Quote  
  4. It is important to understand that you can NEVER simply copy the IFO, BUP and VOB files using Windows Explorer. Each file in a DVD is tied to the other ones by many references, and replacing it like you did breaks that references, so your DVD might still works on a PC, but it will almost certainly nor work properly on a standalone player, unless you are extremely lucky!

It is probably possible to change only the right cells with VobBlanker, but as you know now, it might be more time consuming than redoing the whole conversion from scratch. After all, when ConvertXtoDVD works, you don't have to be present.
    r0lZ - PgcEdit homepage Hosted by VideoHelp (Thanks Baldrick)
    - BD3D2MK3D A tool to convert 3D BD to 3D SBS/T&B/FS MKV
    Quote Quote