VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search PM
    I am new to Bluray authoring and am having NO luck finding any info on Bluray file structure exceptions - if any - for "extra" files like art, photos, saved webpages, notes, etc.

DVDs are a no-brainer: you can add anything that space will allow. This flexibility does not appear to apply to Bluray - ? Help!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Both dvd and bd only "specify" the format for the material within their respective "zones". Beyond that, anything goes. It's best to NOT put other files in the root of the disc (and one should NEVER create a subdirectory within the standard media zones), but other than that, it is just a matter of personal or corporate or industry preference and custom.

Scott

P.s. If you are not able to add other files with the software you are using, it is the fault of the software (or possibly the user).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search PM
    Thanks, Scott! I am using Nero 11, and it is very strict about the BDMV-Video file structure. This seems to fit with your postscript, a software limitation, providing for BDMV and CERTIFICATE folders only. It'll get the job done, but it is disappointing to lose that flexibility.

Your response is greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by enzothebaker; 18th Mar 2012 at 21:09.
    Quote Quote  
  4. There are only a few authoring tool that are worth a damn in BD. All are professional tools.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    What is it that you are trying to do?

What Blu-ray standards are you looking for?
    Recommends: Kiva.org - Loans that change lives.
    http://www.kiva.org/about
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by edDV View Post
    What is it that you are trying to do?

What Blu-ray standards are you looking for?
    Here is my scenario: I downloaded an audience-shot concert from dimeadozen.org in BD format. Although I had recently purchased a BD writer, this was my first BDMV write. Educating myself on the BDMV file structure standard was easy. My quandry is that I prefer to keep all of my trade or torrent-related reference materials such as cover art, screenshots, webpages, notes, etc. on the the same disc as the video itself, which is a no-brainer on DVD; as long as you have a proper VIDEO_TS folder, you can add anything you want to the top level.

I just bought Nero 11, which has a BDMV template that is a slam-dunk... as long as your only top-level folders are BDMV and CERTIFICATE. Any attempt to add anything which deviates from the BDMV spec is met with a harsh pop-up that says, in effect, sorry, you can't do that. I can store my related files elsewhere, no problem, but I find it regressive that I cannot do in BDMV what I can do in DVD. As Cornucopia stated above, my predicament appears to be a Nero 11 limitation, whereas another product may be able to fulfil my meager desires.

Nero takes a lot of heat as bloatware and "this other program does it for free", but I have found it able to fulfil most of my needs and desires rather well, despite a slight learning curve. I was hoping that an upgrade from Nero 9 to Nero 11 would catapult me firmly into the BD age, but I guess its hard to be bleeding-edge on a budget.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    It's a little roundabout (and I'm sure there are others that could tell you an even more direct way), but you could:

1. Create an ISO file of a "strict" BD in Nero (it ought to be able to do this).
    2. "Rip" the contents of the BD ISO into a folder structure on the hard drive (with ISOBuster, free should work for this).
    3. Use Imgburn to "build" a new BD, which includes the extra folders/files.
    4. Burn! and enjoy.

HTH,

Scott
    Quote Quote