VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Re HD A760gx i am using DVD-RW and DVD+ Disks without problem if I try to use a dual layer disk, I just get the message " open tray to remove disk ".....I am using AONE GOLD PLUS disks.....

I have read that others have issues with dual layer disks...

I researched and found that there are five firmware update files on liteon website. Bit one of them ( zip file ) reports as corrupted, the other four are ok. Not sure if I need to sequentially install each firmware update, or just install the latest ( assume this to be the top one, as they are not dated )

The other issue is, how do I install the firmware update(s) ? The files are not ISO or similar, so can't see how to burn them to a disk.

I am transferring old VHS tapes to DVD, tried the hdmi upscaler and elgato routes, but the quality suffered enormously.....got much better results with the liteon....

Thanks in advance....
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Your AONE discs are GARBAGE. If you are unwilling to accept this, then we can do no more to help you. Please don't bother writing back that you have used AONE discs for years and never had a bad burn. I've heard it all before. I truly wish I could get paid every time someone posts that one. Then a few years from now you'll come back crying when your "perfect burns" strangely stop playing any more on any PC or player. I've heard that one too.

First of all, you need to burn with ImgBurn. It's free. It may possibly be able to write to your crap discs without you having to install a firmware update. Burn as SLOW as your drive will allow you to burn under ImgBurn or you will likely make a coaster.

The ONLY quality dual layer DVDs are those made by Verbatim and Taiyo Yuden (hard to find, expensive, only available as DVD-R DL, and you'll have to buy them online). EVERYTHING else is trash. We cannot emphasize this enough. Many burners don't have write strategies for garbage quality discs. ImgBurn may be able to handle those discs without you needing to upgrade the firmware.

As far as the upgrade goes, I'm not willing to help you. I don't have any information about your burner or exactly what you downloaded and I'm not willing to just guess what you need to do. Please understand that there is some element of risk in doing firmware updates and if something goes wrong, it can permanently ruin your burner. LiteOn's website should have instructions on burning the firmware update files or perhaps if you search some forum elsewhere will have instructions.
    Quote Quote  
  3. The truth is you are using 3rd rate disks on a 2nd rate, 8-year-old recorder. Your best hope is to stick with single layer high quality disks like Verbatim.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    Instead of crying to me in a PM about how "rude and abusive" I supposedly was, you need to take a chill pill and re-read my comments. At no time at all did I insult YOU. I criticized your MEDIA. If you can't separate the two and you interpret "Your discs are crap" to mean that I am insulting your intelligence and making a personal attack on YOU, which I did not do, well, you may have problems beyond what we can solve here.

Think rationally about what I said. I gave you TWO completely different fixes for your problem that don't involve firmware updates.
    1) If you replace your discs with the better ones I mentioned, this will fix your problem. smrpix basically told you the same thing. No offense man, but about 95% of the time we tell people "Your discs are garbage and that's your problem" they just argue with us that these are the greatest discs ever made, they've used them for years without problems, yada yada yada. I still cringe when I remember one Australian woman just completely losing her mind when we told her that. If you happen to think these discs are great, check your burns again in 3 to 5 years and see if they still play. We get posts all the time from people who used low quality media that years later the discs don't work anymore. The sad fact is that consumers have made it clear that they only care about price and not quality for burnable media so everybody has to produce crap to compete for sales. Even Verbatim has a low quality, cheap line called the Life Series that vies for the low end of the market that only cares about price.
    2) You need to use ImgBurn for burning no matter what media you use. ImgBurn may have a write strategy for your garbage discs that won't require you to do a firmware update. And I advised you to burn at the lowest speed possible as that may enable your discs to burn without becoming coasters (this is what we call a failed burn). If that makes me "rude and abusive" to give you TWO solutions to your problem, then yes, I plead guilty.

I refused to guess about what your firmware update needs, but if your burner is as old as smrpix says, we really may not be able to help you avoid an upgrade. I also warned you that doing a firmware upgrade is not without risk and yes, that was certainly EVIL beyond belief of me to try to prevent you from ruining your player. My bad.

Eight years is so long ago that it may be very difficult to impossible to find out what you need to do with those files in terms of burning them. And even if you do get it updated, you need to understand that there is some possibility that it may not help with those AONE discs. I said that using ImgBurn MIGHT enable you to avoid having to do a firmware update, but I can't give you a 100% guarantee. Burners that old may have issues burning either + or - discs (at the time some burners really only burned one or the other) so in insisting on using this ancient burner that somehow miraculous still works, you may have painted yourself into a corner we can't get you out of. I do feel confident that if you burn to Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden DL discs that this will solve your problem without a firmware upgrade, provided that your ancient burner is actually capable of burning those discs. Burning DL discs correctly is usually the first thing to fail in burners so there is some chance that your problem cannot be solved without you replacing that burner.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Ok
    You didn't insult me directly,...maybe this is how things are now, with the tone of your language becoming the norm.

I was bought up in an age where the English language was considered a valuable asset and never required such language to explain something so simple.

We will have to agree to differ.....I don't like the way you replied to my question....regardless of what you say...

I have reported your post, but maybe the moderators will agree with you and consider using such language and tone to be acceptable nowadays.....I certainly don't, it was very offensive.....

Thanks
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Reddwarf4ever View Post
    Re HD A760gx i am using DVD-RW and DVD+ Disks without problem if I try to use a dual layer disk, I just get the message " open tray to remove disk ".....I am using AONE GOLD PLUS disks.....

I have read that others have issues with dual layer disks...

I researched and found that there are five firmware update files on liteon website. Bit one of them ( zip file ) reports as corrupted, the other four are ok. Not sure if I need to sequentially install each firmware update, or just install the latest ( assume this to be the top one, as they are not dated )

The other issue is, how do I install the firmware update(s) ? The files are not ISO or similar, so can't see how to burn them to a disk.

I am transferring old VHS tapes to DVD, tried the hdmi upscaler and elgato routes, but the quality suffered enormously.....got much better results with the liteon....

Thanks in advance....
    Since updating firmware carries some risks, and you are having some difficulty with the process, it might be best to avoid that, especially since it may not even help. The latest firmware is probably several years old, and if your DVD+R DL media is 8X speed, nothing like it may have been available when the firmware update was written. ...but there may be another option. If you can find it, Verbatim 2.4X DVD+R DL may be worth a try, as that has been around for a long time.

However, as pointed out by others, very old DVD drives frequently have difficulty burning or reading some kinds of media that used to give them no trouble. If that is the root of the problem, even different DVD +R DL media or new firmware probably won't help. [Edit]smrpix's solution to use better single-layer DVD media may be the safest one for the DVD recorder.
    Last edited by usually_quiet; 20th Aug 2014 at 15:07.
    Quote Quote  
  7. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by jman98 View Post
    You need to use ImgBurn for burning no matter what media you use. ImgBurn may have a write strategy for your garbage discs that won't require you to do a firmware update.
    The OP has a DVD recorder, not a PC burner, so ImgBurn is not very relevant to this discussion.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    I doubt these AONE discs are dual-layer but believe they are DOUBLE LAYER discs!

And the OP failed to post in the correct subforum!!
    *** Now that you have read me, do some other things. ***
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!