VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hey all,
    Obviously I wasn't sure where to post this, so my apologies. Anyway:

Literally every review I've read of the Blu-ray to the first Halloween ('78) is either positive or extremely positive. I've read "superb", "excellent", "great", "stellar" and so on regarding the picture quality. I've read countless claims that hardly any grain can be found anywhere in the film...
    I agree that the bright scenes are amazing, however (uh oh), the dark scenes look extremely grainy to me. I'm not talking about the typical amount expected from a '78 film and or the decision to retain some of the film look and not overdo restoration. This is to the point where I was actually compelled to post on a BD forum, posing the question of if I might've bought a different version than everyone else.
    I know many of you know that I'm frequently picky (sometimes overly) when it comes to picture quality, therefore I've attached a couple samples to see if you can see what I see.

Please report your findings/opinions of how good or bad these look to you.

- Justin
    Quote Quote  
  2. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    You can read DVD Beaver's review of the disc here and see what you think of the reviewers comments on the video:
    http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDReviews35/halloween_blu-ray.htm

DVD Beaver doesn't review every movie that comes out. They mostly focus on artsy and foreign films, but they did review the BD you are talking about. My feeling is that, yes, you are probably too picky.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hm. Maybe I am, or, some setting is "off" on my monitor. I checked though and all seems fine. I also checked it on TMT5, PowerDVD, VLC and MPC. They all yield the same results...
    So yes, I guess I'm being too picky. But Carrie came out two years prior and it looks much better in the darker scenes. Ironically Carrie is one that others say doesn't look good.
    It must just be my subjective opinion *shrug*
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Your display will be a factor. I've compared both clips on my main LCD display and CRT along side. Both are calibrated reasonably well, but there are noticeable differences between them.

On the LCD; both clips have significant noise in the shadows. When Jamie Lee Curtis is looking out the window, her shadow on the wall has quite a lot of noise. It's not just the level of noise (compared to the brighter parts of the image), it's also that the noise is more blotchy/coarse.

In the other clip, there's noise and colour issues on the coat of the guy talking to the cop. It gets very grainy about halfway between the buttons on his coat. Colour is also a problem; his coat starts of a beige/yellow, then goes to a pale purple and finally green.

On the CRT; all the issues are less noticeable, but they're still there. My LCD is 5 years old and doesn't render blacks properly. So parts of the image that should be almost black are artificially 'lifted up' to a dark grey, which makes any noise and colour errors more visible. Modern LCD panels, especially those in TVs will be better.

Have you ever done a basic calibration of your screen?
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by intracube View Post
    Your display will be a factor. I've compared both clips on my main LCD display and CRT along side. Both are calibrated reasonably well, but there are noticeable differences between them.

On the LCD; both clips have significant noise in the shadows. When Jamie Lee Curtis is looking out the window, her shadow on the wall has quite a lot of noise. It's not just the level of noise (compared to the brighter parts of the image), it's also that the noise is more blotchy/coarse.

In the other clip, there's noise and colour issues on the coat of the guy talking to the cop. It gets very grainy about halfway between the buttons on his coat. Colour is also a problem; his coat starts of a beige/yellow, then goes to a pale purple and finally green.

On the CRT; all the issues are less noticeable, but they're still there. My LCD is 5 years old and doesn't render blacks properly. So parts of the image that should be almost black are artificially 'lifted up' to a dark grey, which makes any noise and colour errors more visible. Modern LCD panels, especially those in TVs will be better.

Have you ever done a basic calibration of your screen?
    I've tried calibrating it but I'm never sure what to set things to. I suppose the most logical thing to do would be calibrating it while viewing the scenes in question.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by takearushfan View Post
    I suppose the most logical thing to do would be calibrating it while viewing the scenes in question.
    LOL, that's probably the worst way to calibrate a screen

If the footage you use to calibrate has errors, you'll end up trying to compensate. Then when you watch something that doesn't have any errors, your screen will be over-compensating.

Use the charts here:
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/gamma_calibration.php
    http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/black.php

Once the screen is calibrated, you can use the video adjustments on your media player to temporarily correct for a bad movie.
    Quote Quote