VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. While waiting for the arrival of my new AVCHD camcorder I´ve been thinking about upgrading my current video editing PC. My setup is the usual one where OS and programs are in the "C" drive and video files in the others. The method I usually follow is to capture or transfer video files to one of the HDDs as well as the proyect files and to render files (i. e. mpeg 2, ac3, mp4) to the other.
    My Core2Quad is more than OK to work with DV AVI and even handles HD files reasonably well from tests I´ve made (at least with the AVCHD lite, 720p files I´ve loaded in Premiere CS4 ). But it lacks some of the nice stuff like DDR3 memory, SATA III or USB3. Since I´m trying to keep the whole thing within a budget I´ve been looking into entry level Motherboards that support newer Intel CPUs and the one that seems to fill my needs (with the Z77 chipset) has most of what I need as mentioned but only has two SATA III connectors (and four SATA II ones). Part of my plan is also to buy a SSD as my OS drive and it ´ll be of course SATA III to take full advantage of its speed. That leaves me with only one SATA III and the rest being SATA II. Now, my question is: Since I want to mantain the same workflow (one HDD for camera files, one HDD for rendered files), wich one of these would benefit more from the SATA III spec?, in other words, wich one would you consider that the extra "speed" is more important when editing and/or rendering?
    Quote Quote  
  2. SATA III will only make a difference with your SSD. And even there it won't be huge. Hard drives are all much slower than a SATA II connection. If you're dealing with DV and AVCHD you aren't even near SATA I speeds.
    Quote Quote  
  3. Thanks for the answer, I kind of imagined it´d be like that but had to ask anyway.
    Quote Quote  
  4. bandwidth:

SATA I: 188 MB/s
    SATA II: 375 MB/s
    SATA III: 750 MB/s

hard drives: 50 to 200 MB/s

DV: 3.5 MB/s
    AVCHD: 3.5 MB/s
    Blu-ray: 7 MB/s

The main reason SSDs are faster than hard drives is the seek time, not the sustained (or peak) bandwidth.
    Quote Quote