VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello everybody,
    my JVC camcorder makes videos in MOD format. In a previous thread somebody advised me to rename the MOD extension to MPG extension, in order to play these videos on my TV set.
    Well, it worked out very well on my Sony TV set. But if I play those videos on a Samsung or LG TV sets, I can see that the TVs player don't keep the original 16:9 aspect ratio. Infact a bad 4:3 is now viewed.

So I think that a video conversion is now necessary.

My question is: what kind of convertion?

I've Avidemux 2.6 (64 bit) and all I want is keep the original 16:9 aspect ratio.

Thanks for some help.
    Quote Quote  
  2. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What is the aspect ratio of the video? 4:3 or 16:9? If it's already 16:9 widescreen then the problem is with the Sony and LG TV's settings.
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  3. The original MOD file has a 16:9 aspect ratio and I can view it correctly on my PC (and on the cam screen, naturally). After the MOD --> MPG file rename, the video can be seen correctly on a Sony TV set (I mean, without any other settings on TV).
    On a LG and a Samsung TV sets, the (renamed) video file yields lateral black bands and the video is seen with a 4:3 aspect ratio, squeezed images faces, etc.
    Do you think I can play my video on LG and Samsung directly, without operate any changes on TV settings?

This is the original video file: http://expocabrini.it/materiale/gatto.MOD
    Quote Quote  
  4. PS: the MOD video format is a JVC proprietary format. See here http://www.fileinfo.com/extension/mod
    Quote Quote  
  5. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The settings for the LG and Samsung TV's are set incorrectly to display your widescreen video. No editing of your video is going to help.

See this for LG
    http://www.lg.com/us/support/product-help/doc-1346092004803-en-LGEAI#1

See this for Samsung
    http://www.samsung.com/us/support/howtoguide/N0000058/8049/54504/
    It's not important the problem be solved, only that the blame for the mistake is assigned correctly
    Quote Quote  
  6. Originally Posted by monteverde View Post
    Do you think I can play my video on LG and Samsung directly, without operate any changes on TV settings?
    Probably not. The video seems normal. It appears the Samsung and LG players don't respect the aspect ratio flag.
    Quote Quote  
  7. It's because you have a sequence display extension set on these files

You need to remove it e.g. with restream

1) demux video e.g. dgindex
    2) set AR and remove sequence display extension with restream
    3) remux with a multiplexer e.g. imago-mpeg muxer

Some players (hardware or software) ignore the sequence display extension, thus the variability in playback experience

Test this file on your LG and Samsung (I cut 10sec)
    Image Attached Files
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by monteverde View Post

So I think that a video conversion is now necessary.
    Simply use SD Copy on the .MOD files.
    Set the AR (Wide-Screen Flag) to 16:9, and file extension to .MPG.

You can overwrite the existing file(s), or create new file(s) in a target directory of your choice.
    You can also convert all files, or do a manual selection/select individual ones.
    (Put all the files in one folder to keep things simple).

SD Copy download on this page: http://paulmcgrath.net/download.php?view.8

Last edited by mike20021969; 30th Dec 2013 at 18:13.
    Quote Quote  
  9. The Sony Bluray player in this house supports anamorphic video in various formats. The Samsung TV and the Samsung Bluray player here.... not so much.
    Naturally the Samsung Bluray player resizes DVDs correctly, but that doesn't guarantee it will do the same when playing video via USB. I can't say I've actually tested mpeg video myself as it's the sort of video I'd rarely play via USB, but I tried poisondeathray's sample with my Samsung TV. It displayed as though the video had square pixels. ie "bad 4:3".

I'd convert the video using a program such as Vidcoder. Probably like this:

Choose the High Profile preset then click on Settings.

Under the Picture tab use 1024 as the resize width. For the resizing method you need to use "anamorphic none". Make sure "keep aspect ratio" is checked and Vidcoder will choose the height (in this case it'll be 1024x576).
    The video is actually 720x576 so you can resize it to square pixels by increasing the width or reducing the height (or something in between). The former (1024x576) might retain more detail.

Under the Video Filters tab enable "Bob" de-interlacing (as the video is interlaced). Disable any other filters (unless you want to try a little noise removal).

Under the Video tab choose 50fps as the frame rate and select "constant frame rate". If you select 25fps or "same as source" for the frame rate the video will be de-interlaced to progressive 25fps. If you select 50fps then it's 50fps progressive. You'll probably find motion will look much smoother if you use 50fps.

The above should give you good results. They can often be improved through experimenting and clever filtering, but that's different software and more of a learning process.
    Last edited by hello_hello; 31st Dec 2013 at 23:45.
    Quote Quote