VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Thread
  1. Hello. just needing some help on how to merge a subtitle file into an mp4 so the subtitle can be burn in into the video.

I have an mp4 video here without a subtitle. I also have a subtitle for it in ssa (converted from srt using subtitle edit) format. I was reading an old thread from here where it says I burn in a subtitle if it's ssa format using handbrake. Anyway, I used isubtitle to merge the ssa and mp4 (resulting video container is .mov) and open the resulting video in handbrake but it won't let me burn in the subtitle. I tried OSX and windows (via virtualbox) of handbrake and same results.

Any tips on how it can be done? thanks
    Quote Quote  
  2. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Try multitplex the video and ssa with mymp4boxgui. Or use mkvtoolnix and make a mkv with the ssa.

or just hardcode with xvid4psp 5 (click on it for guides).
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Its very simple
    Goto the subtitle tab on handbrake and select import a subtitle stream, next add the source of subtitle!
    use mp4 or mkv .. both work fine
    Quote Quote  
  4. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Try multitplex the video and ssa with mymp4boxgui. Or use mkvtoolnix and make a mkv with the ssa.

or just hardcode with xvid4psp 5 (click on it for guides).
    Thanks. I'll try your suggestions tomorrow.
    Quote Quote  
  5. Originally Posted by Placebo View Post
    Its very simple
    Goto the subtitle tab on handbrake and select import a subtitle stream, next add the source of subtitle!
    use mp4 or mkv .. both work fine
    Handbrake won't burn in SRT files and you can't use SSA files directly.
    Quote Quote  
  6. Banned
    Search Comp PM
    xvid4psp as Baldrick suggested. It's not as easy to use as Handbrake, but it actually works to hard code subtitles.
    Quote Quote  
  7. RipBot is another one that can do it, if you prefer.

JMO, but I think RipBot is somewhat simpler to use than xvid4psp.
    Pull! Bang! Darn!
    Quote Quote  
  8. Originally Posted by mrjayviper View Post
    Hello. just needing some help on how to merge a subtitle file into an mp4 so the subtitle can be burn in into the video.

I have an mp4 video here without a subtitle. I also have a subtitle for it in ssa (converted from srt using subtitle edit) format. I was reading an old thread from here where it says I burn in a subtitle if it's ssa format using handbrake. Anyway, I used isubtitle to merge the ssa and mp4 (resulting video container is .mov) and open the resulting video in handbrake but it won't let me burn in the subtitle. I tried OSX and windows (via virtualbox) of handbrake and same results.

You have 2 problems, first, you need add your subtitle to that video, second, you need burn this video to DVD. The first problem you had already solved, actually we can focus the attention only to second step - how to burn this subtitle video to DVD. Check the answer replied by others here about your second step: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/315540-Burning-movies-with-subtitles, good luck for you.
    Quote Quote  
  9. I'm a MEGA Super Moderator Baldrick's Avatar
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lizabrown View Post
    Originally Posted by mrjayviper View Post
    Hello. just needing some help on how to merge a subtitle file into an mp4 so the subtitle can be burn in into the video.

You have 2 problems, first, you need add your subtitle to that video, second, you need burn this video to DVD. The first problem you had already solved, actually we can focus the attention only to second step - how to burn this subtitle video to DVD. Check the answer replied by others here about your second step: https://forum.videohelp.com/threads/315540-Burning-movies-with-subtitles, good luck for you.
    DVD? WHere does mrjayviper mention DVD? That thread has nothing do with hardcoding a mp4.
    Quote Quote  
  10. Originally Posted by Baldrick View Post
    Originally Posted by lizabrown View Post
    Originally Posted by mrjayviper View Post

DVD? WHere does mrjayviper mention DVD? That thread has nothing do with hardcoding a mp4.
    Oh, sorry, mistake, i think i just replied another questions to this thread. Yes, it seems mrjayviper only have the first problem. And the referral thread i posted still can answer his questions. They recommended many free but useful software for him.
    Quote Quote