VideoHelp Forum
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2
1 2 LastLast
Thread
  1. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Hi, I have a Vhs which, the Vhs head is very, very dirty. The Vhs is still dirty and the original video footage cannot be seen even though after cleaning it using one of those Head Cleaners, unlike other Vhs which has got dirty heads, after using the Head Cleaners the video footage can be seen. Just that, at times, even though there's no picture but the sound from the original footage can be heard.

I'm wondering if a Vhs in this condition is restorable? Any advice would be great.
    Quote Quote  
  2. '
    dirty heads
    did ya demagnetize it?
    Quote Quote  
  3. Member
    Search Comp PM
    I'm not sure whether i did or not.
    Quote Quote  
  4. Member
    Search Comp PM
    What does it actually mean to demagnetize?
    Quote Quote  
  5. '
    I'm not sure whether i did or not.
    What does it actually mean to demagnetize?
    yeah,, i'm gonna tally that as a 'NO'
    and a 'YES' that you magnetized it

you magnetized your head!!
    Quote Quote  
  6. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Ok. I have already answered your question, so it's back to mine - Is a demagnetized vhs restorable or is it not?
    Quote Quote  
  7. '
    Is a demagnetized vhs restorable or is it not?
    well,, the goal is to have it "demagnetized"

but i'm bias you see, because all my VHS recorders are slowly deteriorating in a landfill somewhere because i have moved on to the next millennium of technology!
    throw that dang thing away and catch up with the present!
    for gawd sakes!

it's heralded as the 'digital age' for a reason!

you do realize that the medium (tape) rubs up against the head, right?
    ON PURPOSE!!!
    it has wheels and rollers,, guides,, and such in that machine for the purpose of stretching and pulling the tape across it!!
    ISNT THAT ENOUGH REASON NOT TO SALVAGE THAT THING?!?
    PUT IN A LANDFILL WHERE IT RIGHTFULLY BELONGS!!!
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by freedom-strike View Post
    Ok. I have already answered your question, so it's back to mine - Is a demagnetized vhs restorable or is it not?
    So what the hell are we talking about here?
    Are we talking about "restoring" a VHS machine?
    Are we talking about "restoring" a video capture/recording that was done on a bad VHS machine?
    Quote Quote  
  9. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by hech54 View Post
    Are we talking about "restoring" a video capture/recording that was done on a bad VHS machine?
    We're talking about restoring a VHS tape.
    Last edited by freedom-strike; 19th Jun 2014 at 11:10.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by freedom-strike View Post
    We're talking about restoring a VHS tape.
    I hope this is a case of language differences. If not you are clueless.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Atticus Draco View Post
    well,, the goal is to have it "demagnetized"
    You don't demagnetize anything. In 20+ years, I've never needed to do this.

but i'm bias you see, because all my VHS recorders are slowly deteriorating in a landfill somewhere because i have moved on to the next millennium of technology! throw that dang thing away and catch up with the present! for gawd sakes!
    Then shut the hell up, and don't post in VHS topics.

This recent cancerous infestation of "VHS=poo" ideology at this site is ridiculous. It's a head-up-ass viewpoint, when it comes to video. Sorry, but VCRs and VHS tapes are NOT useless, nor are they to be treated as trash that must be salvaged. VHS can be excellent, with the right tools and knowledge. Sadly, it seems that knowledge is fading here at VideoHelp. It's really quite saddening to long-time members.

ISNT THAT ENOUGH REASON NOT TO SALVAGE THAT THING?!?
    PUT IN A LANDFILL WHERE IT RIGHTFULLY BELONGS!!!
    No. That's a reason to restore the VCR and/or tapes. It depends on the VCR and the tape, however, as it may or may not be worth it. Example: Home movies on expensive S-VHS VCR = yes. Retail movie on consumer VCR = no.

I have no idea either.
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 25th Jun 2014 at 15:58.
    Want my help? Ask here! (not via PM!)
    FAQs: Best Blank DiscsBest TBCsBest VCRs for captureRestore VHS
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    VHS can be excellent
    In a world where some people are now working with 3840x2160 video sources (always progressive), and virtually everyone is working with 1920x1080 video sources (often progressive), 360x480 interlaced (with a disproportionately low chroma bandwidth) can't be described as excellent, even if you avoid all the other potential problems.

I agree with the point of your post though - it's just that even the best VHS transfers look worse year-on-year as expectations rise - no one keeping up with video in 2014 could ever consider VHS (or even SD) "excellent". VHS is never even "excellent" SD, though it can sometimes be surprisingly good.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search PM
    Originally Posted by 2Bdecided View Post
    VHS can be excellent
    In a world where some people are now working with 3840x2160 video sources (always progressive), and virtually everyone is working with 1920x1080 video sources (often progressive), 360x480 interlaced (with a disproportionately low chroma bandwidth) can't be described as excellent, even if you avoid all the other potential problems.

I agree with the point of your post though - it's just that even the best VHS transfers look worse year-on-year as expectations rise - no one keeping up with video in 2014 could ever consider VHS (or even SD) "excellent". VHS is never even "excellent" SD, though it can sometimes be surprisingly good.

Cheers,
    David.
    When the video you have been looking for for most of your life ONLY exists on VHS, then it is indeed VERY excellent. When your favorite VHS concert video(from 1990 and earlier) is officially released to DVD, that is also VERY excellent.
    That is what we are talking about here.

Nobody in their right mind would look at a VHS tape copy of a Blu Ray and think it is "excellent".....that is NOT what anybody is talking about or suggesting.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    When the video you have been looking for for most of your life ONLY exists on VHS, then it is indeed VERY excellent. When your favorite VHS concert video(from 1990 and earlier) is officially released to DVD, that is also VERY excellent.
    That is what we are talking about here. .
    Yes .... but it's only 1 of 2 points to make here.

VHS can be very good in the right hardware. This sudden love of $10 VCRs off eBay, coupled with the idea that VHS looks "terrible", is that person's own fault for not listening. Or, as we see in several threads lately, complete head-up-ass stubborn denial that DID NOT exist on VH in the 2000s.

When it's all that exists, then use the right workflow and hardware to make it the best as is possible. (Or pay someone with that know-how and equipment.)
    Quote Quote  
  15. HarpMaster
    Search Comp PM
    I have a vcr that I hadn't used for a long time and I wanted to transfer some videos to my computer for editing and then putting on DVD. The heads had become caked with burnt- on oxide from some bad tapes.
    I took the lid off the machine and got a kitchen towel and put some Isoprop alcohol on it. Then holding it against the head with one hand, I used the other to turn the head by hand. You can't use cotton buds for this as the small wires of the heads can get caught and break. After cleaning the video head, I then also cleaned the tape guides. I used cotton buds soaked in Isoprop for this.
    After putting the cover back on the machine, it seems to have done the trick. Also from now on I can
    use a cleaning tape.
    It's at least worth a try and costs very little.
    HarpMaster
    Quote Quote  
  16. Member
    Search Comp PM
    The other thing is that the OP is assuming that the problem is that the heads are dirty. This assumption is only being made because the OP can't think of anything else, and it could definitely be something else.

Next, it'll be the capacitors .... sigh ....
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    @freedom-strike: You keep confusing me, and others, as per cleaning a machine or tape. Again I ask, as in another one of your threads - did you try this tape in another VCR? Cleaning a tape is really a last resort solution, not the first thing one considers when it doesn't happen to play well on one particular machine.

Originally Posted by HarpMaster View Post
    I have a vcr that I hadn't used for a long time and I wanted to transfer some videos to my computer for editing and then putting on DVD. The heads had become caked with burnt- on oxide from some bad tapes.
    I took the lid off the machine and got a kitchen towel and put some Isoprop alcohol on it. Then holding it against the head with one hand, I used the other to turn the head by hand. You can't use cotton buds for this as the small wires of the heads can get caught and break. After cleaning the video head, I then also cleaned the tape guides. I used cotton buds soaked in Isoprop for this.
    After putting the cover back on the machine, it seems to have done the trick. Also from now on I can
    use a cleaning tape.
    It's at least worth a try and costs very little.
    Worked for me too and something I would recommend for a VCR long inactive that built up time residue from dirt or humidity or whatnot over the years. And there's tons of tutorials on YouTube on this too that use similar methods.

And, as for my take on VHS:

I hate VHS. I always did.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 29th Jun 2014 at 03:55.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    *Dupe post deleted.
    Last edited by PuzZLeR; 29th Jun 2014 at 03:57.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    VHS can be very good in the right hardware.
    No it can't. If you've been keeping up with video progress, then the very best that VHS could ever produce looks awful by modern standards.

This sudden love of $10 VCRs off eBay, coupled with the idea that VHS looks "terrible", is that person's own fault for not listening.
    True. It will look abysmal. Which is worse than the best it can look: awful.

If nothing else, many living room TVs are now too large for VHS resolution to look any good on them. Anyone critical enough to make the effort to get the "best" that VHS can offer is also going to be critical enough to notice that the "best" is awful.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  20. Tip from video service guy - he use stripe of white paper, wet (put pure IPA on it - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isopropyl_alcohol ), wrap wet paper stripe over drum and gently wipe drum, you can repeat this few times until drum and heads will be clean - do not use cotton buds or anything like this as heads are very fragile and they can be easily broken. Paper prevent this as it is lint free and it act like normal tape (can't enter to head gap or broke head).
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    ]No it can't. If you've been keeping up with video progress, then the very best that VHS could ever produce looks awful by modern standards.
    If nothing else, many living room TVs are now too large for VHS resolution to look any good on them. Anyone critical enough to make the effort to get the "best" that VHS can offer is also going to be critical enough to notice that the "best" is awful.
    The only people that think VHS is "awful" tend to be the same crowd that likes reality TV.

Anything SD is "awful" by this definition -- Kinescope, Laserdisc, DVD, etc.

But you need to remember that most people also love their compressed-to-hell Netflix, and put up with horrible Youtube clips just to see something. Many people download cam torrents -- now those are awful!

So their own home movies, or unreleased and not-released-HD (or even DVD) videos, are worth transferring as best as possible. Yes, they have flaws -- what format doesn't? The goal is to get VHS as best as possible. That precludes cheap equipment, lest they want to be the latest dipshit that creates quality on par with the worst of Youtube.

I'm here to tell others quality can be had. Quality equipment is the first step. I've been doing that for 10+ years, and I'll be doing it for 10+ more.
    Quote Quote  
  22. Originally Posted by lordsmurf View Post
    The only people that think VHS is "awful" tend to be the same crowd that likes reality TV.
    How did you arrive at this conclusion?

VHS is inherently awful - I would've thought you of all people would agree? I'd agree it can be acceptable after restoration, even charmingly so, but 2Bdecided made a strong point - the size of modern TVs makes that a difficult proposition. And it's just going to get worse, and get worse faster.
    But you need to remember that most people also love their compressed-to-hell Netflix, and put up with horrible Youtube clips just to see something.
    Content and convenience comes first. I love my BDs - but I own a fraction of what streaming services offer. Quality is very reasonable for how much you get, how easily you get it, and how little it costs. No way I'd go back to rental stores, unless I wanted scratched up discs and late fees.
    I'm here to tell others quality can be had. Quality equipment is the first step. I've been doing that for 10+ years, and I'll be doing it for 10+ more.
    It can be had, but I feel sorry for anyone who waits another 10 years to digitise their tapes. That will be a hell of a task. I can't imagine pursuing ancient, pro VCRs will be at all a sane thing to do by then, unless it's for business.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by SixFiftyThree View Post
    VHS is inherently awful ... I'd agree it can be acceptable after restoration
    You need to uncouple the VHS format from VHS tapes.

Yes, many tapes are in terrible shape. But the format of the data is fine. It's SD video. You can overcome most VHS format flaws.

So the problem is not with "VHS" (format), but with VHS tapes. Yes, if your tapes are messed up, it can be a challenge to recover the content. But that does not mean that *all* VHS tapes, or the VHS format, is bad. Once the tape data is transferred, assuming the material was properly shot, it can be fine. Restoration almost never makes it "better than VHS" (resolution), but simply makes the VHS come through (accurate color, detail, etc).

The idea that VHS look terrible is somewhat silly. Yes, it's older, from the days before HD. But it's not crap as some here would suggest. For example, I'd rather watch an SD kinescope (arguably worse than VHS) of "What's My Line?" than most modern HD game shows. Someday, by that logic, HD will be crap too, in the wake of 4k. Ask yourself -- is HD crap?
    Last edited by lordsmurf; 3rd Jul 2014 at 08:54.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes, many tapes are in terrible shape. But the format of the data is fine. It's SD video.
    You know as well as I do that it's about half the resolution of SD video in terms of luma, and about 1/10th the resolution of SD video in terms of chroma.

Though I'm talking about good SD here. Some digital SD broadcasts are almost comparable to VHS in subjective quality terms, and sometimes VHS would win that comparison!

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  25. Try this, use a piece of cardboard (cornflake packet), use Isopropyl alchohol or Vodka on it, hold the card against the head drum lightly, DON'T MOVE THE CARD, rotate the drum against the card, it might take a few goes.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    You know as well as I do that it's about half the resolution of SD video in terms of luma, and about 1/10th the resolution of SD video in terms of chroma.
    Though I'm talking about good SD here. Some digital SD broadcasts are almost comparable to VHS in subjective quality terms, and sometimes VHS would win that comparison!
    Yes. VHS = an SD resolution, not the max.
    Quote Quote  
  27. Member
    Search Comp PM
    Originally Posted by Pete99 View Post
    Try this, use a piece of cardboard (cornflake packet), use Isopropyl alchohol or Vodka on it, hold the card against the head drum lightly, DON'T MOVE THE CARD, rotate the drum against the card, it might take a few goes.
    Please don't use vodka or cardboard Cornflakes packets... what the hell.

Use ispropyl alcohol with the highest ABV you can find, and ideally a chamois cleaning stick.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    Yes. VHS = an SD resolution, not the max.
    VHS luma resolution is
    1/2 SD
    1/12th HD
    1/48th UHD

Oh, and the picture isn't even the right shape for modern TVs

VHS isn't even excellent SD. The very best DVDs are excellent SD. Downscaled HD makes excellent SD.

If can be better than most people expect, and it provides a way to view things which you couldn't otherwise see, but "excellent"?!

Sorry for arguing - I don't mind that much - it's just that some things from the past deserve nostalgia and respect, and can deliver great results with great care. VHS doesn't fall into this category IMO, and it's misleading to suggest that it can. By all means do the best you can with it, but lower your expectations. Watch it on a 21" CRT TV if you can. (seriously.)

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
    Search Comp PM
    btw, it's amazing how quality differences that used to matter hugely, don't seem very important now.

I can remember when I first started shooting, I could see a difference between first generation S-VHS, vs second generation S-VHS, vs second generation VHS. Now, all three of those fall so far short of decent quality (to my eyes) that the difference between them seems really quite small, especially the first two.

To think there was a time when I'd care enough to re-edit S-VHS>VHS, rather than going S-VHS>S-VHS>VHS (i.e. from a previously edited tape). I cared about the difference in 1994. Now it's the bigger quality jumps (VHS/DV/1080p) that matter.

I still find the best source I can. But it's still SD, still (S)VHS, and still shot with an early 1990s consumer camcorder.

I wonder if 4k, high frame-rate, high dynamic range video will make current home movies look terrible? I suspect so. Dull, soft and blurry I expect. People will look at VHS the way we look at 30-line mechanical television.

Cheers,
    David.
    Quote Quote  
  30. Formerly 'vaporeon800' Brad's Avatar
    Search PM
    But on the opposite end of the spectrum, we're also getting trained to consider garbage cameraphone footage triple-converted by YouTube as acceptable even though it looks worse than any reasonable VHS.

I'm still shocked when I see a news report about a dead celeb or something and the clip of the TV show they starred in is nabbed from YT when just a few years ago that wouldn't have been considered broadcast-worthy; previously they would've pulled tapes from somewhere.
    Quote Quote  
Visit our sponsor! Try DVDFab and backup Blu-rays!